Min wage raise has no effect on businesses

raprap

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:21 pm
@coldjoint,
Another example of ColdDope colddopering.

Rap
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think a more meaningful metric would be minutes of work to pay for average rent. Big Macs are luxury food in Asia and South America.
engineer

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
This is a reasonable approach or something like an apprenticeship wage that is graduated with experience. I think if you have to pay the full wage after six months I doubt businesses would be willing to fire trained employees just to pay the lower pay scale.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawk, as a business owner, do you have a number of minimum wage employees or do you find you do better paying above the limit? If so, does that get you above the minimum employees?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:29 pm
@engineer,
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2013/08-2/real-hourly-minimum-wages-around-the-world_52263c18182b6.png

The $12 and $15 an hour min wage ideas are crazy talk. Even the current Washington wage of 9.39 is kinda high.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:30 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
do you have a number of minimum wage employees or do you find you do better paying above the limit

I have a few at 9.39, but they make on average $3 more per hour on tips (which they prob dont claim on taxes so it is the equivalent of about $13 an hour) . Most of my people earn more for having a skill position and if they stick around they get longevity raises, my highest paid non manager makes about $16 after tips. However money is not the big motivator in working for me, it is working in a really cool place that is growing fast where people are treated well by the owners and the employees are a tight friendly group. millennials care about money and have bills to pay, but they tend to make their choices factoring in a lot of other things too. My last hire was motivated because she loves to yak and almost all of the customers are happy people who love to come into my business so they are up beat and uplifting. Her plan before she hired on was to do volunteer work, her soldier boyfriend s makes enough to pay the bills so money does not motivate her at all.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:41 pm
@engineer,
I'm a bit distrustful of the figures. According to them a big mac is cheaper here. I found food cheaper in America. A MacDonalds 99c burger in America cost 99p over here, and currency fluctuations notwithstanding, a pound has always been worth more than a dollar.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I'm a bit distrustful of the figures. According to them a big mac is cheaper here. I found food cheaper in America. A MacDonalds 99c burger in America cost 99p over here, and currency fluctuations notwithstanding, a pound has always been worth more than a dollar.

things get sketchy trying to compare global value menu prices, because that might have a lot more to do with local marketing schemes than saying anything underlying economic truths.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 02:35 pm
@coldjoint,
The CBO are pencil pushers, know nothing about how companies run their businesses, and repeat over and over again what the Republicans say.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 02:38 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
The CBO are pencil pushers, know nothing about how companies run their businesses

Wow, just like the president.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 05:42 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
The CBO are pencil pushers, know nothing about how companies run their businesses

Wow, just like the president.
The ignorance and incompetence in Washington runs broad and deep. Gates flat out says that we started two wars not understanding much about the societies that we attacked, and that congresscritters tend to run stupid and mean when the cameras are on, and only somewhat better sometimes when the cameras are off.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 07:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The ignorance and incompetence in Washington runs broad and deep.

That is why both parties are concerned about any candidate that has the good of the country in mind. Honesty scares them more than anything.
Just as a hard and honest look at the Constitution does.
0 Replies

ancientthinker

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 08:31 am
I don't see very many comments from folks who have actual wage and salary administration.

An ignored issue is "what do you say to the people in your business or factory who currently make $15/hour?" You can tell them that other people getting raises won't adversely affect them, but most people would figure out that's not true. They will also ask "I used to make twice as much as the entry level job, but now you pay me the same. When will you restore the regognition that my job's contribution is much greater than the entry level job"? "I'd rather go back to the entry level job if you're going to pay the same to both jobs, because the entry level job is so much easier."

Most businesses with 50+ employers have wage hierarchies. A $15/hr minimum wage will be vastly more expensive than predicted and will have many more other consequences that appear to be currently ignored.

This fact along with the fact that every fast food company in the country has a project under development or ready to roll out the automation of the counter and drive-thru ordering process means that this issue needs a lot more fact portrayal than currently being provided
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 May, 2016 07:50 pm
@ancientthinker,
I've been retired since 1998, so the pay structure was vastly different back then for the social services industry in which I worked. I'm not even aware of most pay structures by industry, because that subject hasn't been of any interest, but I do know that the high tech industry here in Silicon Valley has very good pay scales for the right kind of skills. The last I read, the right kind of engineers can start at about $135,000/year. The big problem for newcomers is the high cost of living.
Back in the mid-70s, we paid $52 thousand for our three bedroom two bath home. It's now worth over $1.7 million. These homes were built in 1955, so we've made major renovations to our home, and increased the living space.
Apple is building their Campus 2 costing $5 billion less than a mile from our home. It's going to house 12,000 workers, and the demand for housing in our area will increase.
However, we have no plans of moving from this area.
0 Replies