welfare issue

anysaa

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:10 am
Hello,

Please help my undestand.

I'm married w/ 2 children, my husband is from another country, he has residence here and we live together(York, PA). He's working at Papa John's( part time ) and his gross income for this month is $926( he's not getting same hours every month). Since yesterday my cash assistance and my medical aid are gone. my food stamp are up w/ $15. He has no medial at Papa John's .Can anyone tell me what should I do to not lose my medical aid, I need to follow a treatment and we can't afford to pay for it. Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,688 • Replies: 5

maxdancona

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:21 am
@anysaa,
That's exactly why we have Obamacare. Go to healthcare.gov, or to your state exchange, and sign up for it.
jespah

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:22 am
@anysaa,
You need to talk to a Legal Aid attorney, and explain to them what you've just written here - http://www.palegalaid.net/resources/clients

Your children probably qualify for any number of programs for medical care and nutritional assistance (i. e. food stamps). You may qualify for some of that as well but I can't tell you definitively. You need to speak with someone who does know - and can, if necessary, bring a claim, by bringing in either Papa John's or government agencies, to get you the medical care you need while making sure your kids and you don't starve.
jespah

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:23 am
@maxdancona,
To add to this - I agree - but it looks like her welfare was cut, too, and that might mean going after the state agency.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:35 am
@jespah,
If he works p/t for Papa John's (or any private corporation as a p/t-er) I believe that he would not qualify for any benefits such as participation in a healthcare plan.
jespah

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:41 am
@Ragman,
He probably doesn't (and this is a big part of why Papa John's is such a slimy company to work for) qualify for benefits - but then welfare shouldn't be cut.

Despite how much we all rail against the government, they generally don't want to see people starve. They may be inept and have bureaucracy up the yin yang, but there's (mostly) an intention to make sure that people aren't just wasting away.

It just sounds to me like welfare miscalculated her husband's earnings and cut them too much. They are (I believe) supposed to cut welfare payments when someone is working, but not by more than that person's salary.

She can call welfare herself, but it'll light much more of a fire under them if a lawyer does it.
0 Replies