which could then be secreted into cells?

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 01:17 am
Does "which could then be secreted into cells" mean "which (the genetic material) could then be secreted into (human) cells"?

Plus, does "as" mean "because"?

Context:
The system that allows the sharing of genetic material between bacteria -- and therefore the spread of antibiotic resistance -- has been uncovered by a team of scientists. Understanding the structure of the secretion system will help scientists uncover the mechanism by which it moves substances across the inner and outer membranes. It could eventually help scientists develop new tools for the genetic modification of human cells, as the bacteria could act as a carrier for genetic material, which could then be secreted into cells.

MOre:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140309150544.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 226 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 01:31 am
Yes, that's how i read it. "As" is commonly used in this manner, and means the same as because.
oristarA

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 01:47 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes, that's how i read it. "As" is commonly used in this manner, and means the same as because.

Thanks.

BTW,
Does "develop new tools for the genetic modification of human cells, as the bacteria could act as a carrier" mean "develop new tools that can serve to genetically modify human cells, because the bacteria could act as a carrier"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:21 am
Apparently--speaking as a native-speaker of English and making no claims about microbiology.
0 Replies