Ceiling fan wiring driving me CRAZY!

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 10:12 am
Please help!! I have a ceiling fan that has a double light switch at the wall and was working fine until last month. The light went out, but the fan continued to work fine (of course I changed the light bulb!). I have taken off the light and have been trying to fix this thing since. Here's the main problem: I thought perhaps the light fan switch had burned out so went to replace it-- bought a new one that has 2 black wires coming from it. Went to replace it and the one in the fan only has one wire coming out of it that went to the blue wire coming from the light socket. So where does the 2nd wire go? The wires in ceiling fan include 2 coupled red wires, 2 coupled orange wires, 3 coupled grey wires, 3 coupled brown wires, and 3 coupled white wires (where the white wire coming from the light socket is attached). It seems I can't post pictures, but please if you have any ideas let me know what I should try! I've been assuming it's something in the ceiling fan, but could it also be something to do with the light switch at the wall? Thank you for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 11,017 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 12:23 pm
@lovejoeyspizza12,
Joey, Commiserate with your inability to provide a diagram because for some 17 years now I've been trying to learn how that's done (that is, provide a digram, not wire a fan), with no success at 83 and on the verger of expiration. But part of the problem is in language: For instance, what's meant by "double light switch" and "light fan switch", or are they the same switch

Quote:
So where does the 2nd wire go?
I'd suppose, suspecting that white is cold or return, that the second black wire is supposed to be connect to the "hot" bus. But in effect you're playing with fire: You could blow a fuse or trip a breaker or supposing you had, electrocute yourself; so it might be wise to solicit some assistance in the form of a nearby knowledgeable humanoid

Excuse puns and alliteration Joey, often I just can't resist the temptation
0 Replies