Did you eat a kiwi today?

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:55 am
No, not a New Zealander, but the fruit, which studies show is the most nutritionally dense fruit, ounce for ounce of popular fruits. I had a wickedly ripe kiwi this morning, and it was really tasty. Problem is, finding a nice ripe kiwi fruit. Confused I know places where I can find them all the time, but they cost ya.

http://www.kiwifruit.org/NewNutrition/density.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,313 • Replies: 13
No top replies

the prince

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:59 am
I dont like kiwi fruit Sad Can have it as part of fruit salad but that is abt it
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 07:02 am
Problem is, they are high in sugars and carbs. I'll stick to the pedestrian strawberry, thanks! they grow them in my area. I picked up a 1/2 flat (about 6 pints) at a flea merket for $3.75. Fantastic!

http://www.jubilee-food.com/HealthyEating/fruit-facts.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 07:07 am
I love strawberries too. Nowadays, I have to eat a lot more potassium-rich foods, and since losing a ton of weight, I'm not terribly concerned about sugars or carbs in fruits, especially since I don't soda. Now soda is a killer!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 07:09 am
The kiwi-papaya salsa I made for that grilled octopus dish in the gallery was delicious. The papaya balanced out the residual acidity in the kiwi, which I then balanced out with a touch of lime juice, some olive oil, shallot, and my step-mom's scotch bonnet pepper sauce. Mmmm....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 07:11 am
One day you should cook for me !!!! (veggie stuf only)

Reading such descriptions is not good for when I am munching on a vegetable panini with NO CHEESE Sad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 07:13 am
Gautam, I assure you, the salsa was good just on it's own, and veggie, of course. If cut bigger, and with a few berries, it WOULD make a very nouveau, chic fruit salad...something I should think about, actually...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 03:36 pm
And kiwi fruit are so PRETTY!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 03:49 pm
Imagine this....a kiwi (it would have to be somewhat underripe), carved into a tiny basket holding a wee nest of more wee berries...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 03:50 pm
And just the teeniest dollop of creme fraiche on top....
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:16 pm
I know where there are hundreds of ripe kiwifruit all free for the picking - come and help yourself.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:20 pm
I've never eaten a kiwi in my life. I have had Kiwi/Banana/Strawberry juice...does that count? Confused

My favorite fruits are strawberries and cantaloupe. I don't much care for the others.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:25 pm
I drink a lot of mixed fruit juices. I try to get ones from the health food store that don't have any sugar added, so I suppose that counts, doglover.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:46 pm
We were living in SE Texas around '85 when I saw my first Kiwi fruit in a supermarket. I've loved them ever since.
0 Replies