Obama: Democracy must be STOMPED ON to Preserve Democracy

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 02:20 pm
Quote:
"The proposed referendum on the future of Crimea would violate the Ukrainian constitution and violate international law," he said in remarks in the White House. "Any discussion about the future of Ukraine must include the legitimate government of Ukraine. In 2014 we are well beyond the days when borders can be redrawn over the heads of democratic leaders."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ukraine-crisis/obama-crimea-referendum-would-violate-international-law-n46146

And all succession attempts not approved by the political bosses of the nation being withdrawn from are illegal.

WTF?

But the Palestinians withdrawing from Israel would presumably be OK under some loophole or another.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 871 • Replies: 19

engineer

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 02:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Better example would be Kosovo from Serbia.
engineer

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:48 pm
@engineer,
Putin sites Kosovo today to point out Western hypocrisy.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:58 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Putin sites Kosovo today to point out Western hypocrisy.

Better, "defying the desires of the majority" was part of the excuse for invading Iraq, and for entering the Libyan civil war. The west has a lot of nerve saying that the will of the people matters only when the Western bosses say it should, especially because they claim to support democracy in general. Putin is right that Western bosses act a lot like the dictators that they go to war to remove, though he has not so far as I know been as blunt as this on this subject yet.
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:00 pm
Man, Whackeye cracks me up. He is just obsessed with Obama. Everying is Obama's fault, Obama can do nothing right. It's priceless ****, considering just how ignorant Whackeye always shows himself to be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:03 pm
@engineer,
The situations are not analogous. NATO intervened in Kosovo because the Serbs were killing the civilian population indiscriminately. Putin has intervened in the Ukraine strictly as a power move to keep the base for his Black Sea fleet and to intimidate his other neighbors. Look in the "Coup in Kyiv?" thread and find the post by Walter about the intimidation of Moldova.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Vlaidmir Putin

Quote:
Our western partners, led by the United States of America, prefer not to be guided by international law in their practical policies, but by the rule of the gun. They have come to believe in their exclusivity and exceptionalism, that they can decide the destinies of the world, that only they can ever be right. They act as they please: here and there, they use force against sovereign states, building coalitions based on the principle “If you are not with us, you are against us.” To make this aggression look legitimate, they force the necessary resolutions from international organisations, and if for some reason this does not work, they simply ignore the UN Security Council and the UN overall.

This happened in Yugoslavia; we remember 1999 very well. It was hard to believe, even seeing it with my own eyes, that at the end of the 20th century, one of Europe’s capitals, Belgrade, was under missile attack for several weeks, and then came the real intervention. Was there a UN Security Council resolution on this matter, allowing for these actions? Nothing of the sort. And then, they hit Afghanistan, Iraq, and frankly violated the UN Security Council resolution on Libya, when instead of imposing the so-called no-fly zone over it they started bombing it too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/transcript-putin-says-russia-will-protect-the-rights-of-russians-abroad/2014/03/18/432a1e60-ae99-11e3-a49e-76adc9210f19_story.html

I expect this line of reasoning to find a very sympathetic and supportive ear in China.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The situations are not analogous. NATO intervened in Kosovo because the Serbs were killing the civilian population indiscriminately. Putin has intervened in the Ukraine strictly as a power move to keep the base for his Black Sea fleet and to intimidate his other neighbors. Look in the "Coup in Kyiv?" thread and find the post by Walter about the intimidation of Moldova.

having an excuse for action that you like better than another does not demonstrate that one act is legal and the other is not.

A legal analysis of the Kosovo action is found here

http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1813&context=ilj

The gist of which is that while many claim the action was clearly illegal and it probably was, it was probably also the right thing to do.

The West might be right that Putin should not take Crimea (though I think not), but clearly the West using as its base argument "it is illegal" is a laugh given the West's propensity for conducting illegal acts, as Putin points out.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
The vote in Crimea was not democratic, it was rushed. Compare the timescale to the Scottish referendum. The SNP got the mandate in 2011. Today marks the six month date to the referendum. It took a year of wrangling to agree on the question.

In Crimea it took less than a fortnight. All Ukrainian TV channels have been taken off the air and replaced by Russian ones telling blatant lies about Ukrainians attacking Russian speakers in Kiev. There are no posters up urging them to stay in Ukraine. The status quo wasn't even allowed to be voted on. It was greater autonomy or join Russia. As for the pro Russian electoral posters.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73540000/jpg/_73540706_getty4.jpg

Why not ask Putin if he will allow a referendum in Chechnya?
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm not concerned with your lame analyses, which are invariably cobbled together after the fact of an international situation, of which you were supremely ignorant until it had been in the news for days, or even weeks.

I did not address the legality. I disputed Putin's claim because the two situations were not analogous. The Serbs were killing Kosovars, and doing so indiscriminately. In the Ukraine, the government, as it was then constituted, was shooting citizens down in the street, in front ot the international media. Putin showed no interest in that situation, and took no action. It was not until the parliamentary government of Ukraine moved against Putin's lap dog that he reacted. The two situations are not analogous. If you have a problem understanding that, i suggest that you look up the noun analogy and the adjective analogous.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The vote in Crimea was not democratic, it was rushed.

Are you claiming that there is international law on valid procedures to sense the will of the people? I am not aware of such.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
You were the one who claimed Obama was stomping on democracy. If you compare the truly democratic referendum on Scottish independence to what went on in Crimea, you'll see the Crimean referendum is highly flawed to say the least.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:48 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I did not address the legality. I disputed Putin's claim because the two situations were not analogous.

Putin claim is exactly that Western acts in Kosovo were illegal so claims that Russia's acts in Crimea are illegal are irrelevant, since the West has no right to hold Russia to higher standards than we practice ourselves.

Quote:
Moreover, the Crimean authorities referred to the well-known Kosovo precedent – a precedent our western colleagues created with their own hands in a very similar situation, when they agreed that the unilateral separation of Kosovo from Serbia, exactly what Crimea is doing now, was legitimate and did not require any permission from the country’s central authorities. Pursuant to Article 2, Chapter 1 of the United Nations Charter, the UN International Court agreed with this approach and made the following comment in its ruling of July 22, 2010, and I quote: “No general prohibition may be inferred from the practice of the Security Council with regard to declarations of independence,” and “General international law contains no prohibition on declarations of independence.” Crystal clear, as they say.

I do not like to resort to quotes, but in this case, I cannot help it. Here is a quote from another official document: the Written Statement of the United States America of April 17, 2009, submitted to the same UN International Court in connection with the hearings on Kosovo. Again, I quote: “Declarations of independence may, and often do, violate domestic legislation. However, this does not make them violations of international law.” End of quote. They wrote this, disseminated it all over the world, had everyone agree and now they are outraged. Over what? The actions of Crimean people completely fit in with these instructions, as it were. For some reason, things that Kosovo Albanians (and we have full respect for them) were permitted to do, Russians, Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars in Crimea are not allowed. Again, one wonders why.

We keep hearing from the United States and Western Europe that Kosovo is some special case. What makes it so special in the eyes of our colleagues? It turns out that it is the fact that the conflict in Kosovo resulted in so many human casualties. Is this a legal argument? The ruling of the International Court says nothing about this. This is not even double standards; this is amazing, primitive, blunt cynicism. One should not try so crudely to make everything suit their interests, calling the same thing white today and black tomorrow. According to this logic, we have to make sure every conflict leads to human losses.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You were the one who claimed Obama was stomping on democracy. If you compare the truly democratic referendum on Scottish independence to what went on in Crimea, you'll see the Crimean referendum is highly flawed to say the least.

Obama claims that the people of Crimea have no right to separate from Ukraine unless the bosses of Kiev agree, THAT is the stomping action. Obama never claimed that Crimea separation right now is not valid only because the vote is not kosher enough, that seems to be your position. You seem to be very confused.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
I would like to hear The Professors reasoning for why we are too far into history to allow nations to divide into more nations with out the consent of the bosses of the current nation, this idea that bosses get to nullify the will of the people seems very pro dictator.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
So you'd be quite happy, if next election, all Republican adverts were taken off air, no Republican election posters were allowed. All channels just played Democrat adverts, all news outlets were partisan, and told downright lies about Republican candidates. And all Republicans were portrayed as Nazis.

You'd still find that democratic?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Are you claiming that there is international law on valid procedures to sense the will of the people? I am not aware of such.

It's not a question of international law, it's a question of logic and evidence. You can't claim the right of peoples to self-determination if nobody knows what your people have determined. And nobody knows what your people have determined if the election that allegedly determined it was rigged.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 04:52 am
@hawkeye10,
First of all, i don't give a rat's ass what sort of self-serving hypocrisy Putin himself indulges in. However, since you insist not only on failing to see what i've said, but of flaunting your failure of understanding, let's go over it again. This is what Engineer wrote:

engineer wrote:
Putin sites [sic] Kosovo today to point out Western hypocrisy.

I was responding to that. It's not hypocrisy if the two situations are not analogous, and they are not. I'd ask if you get it now, but my past experience of your reading comprehension suggests that you will persist in not understanding simple English sentences.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 04:54 am
@hawkeye10,
If this drivel referred to me, i'm happy to point out the idiocy of straw man fallacies, but i don't ever waste my time attempting to answer them.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 06:12 am
From what I understand the vote was in contrast to Ukrainian law because it involved territorial alterations which would have required a vote from all of Ukraine, not just the "bosses in Kiev."

Quote:
Article 73 of the Ukrainian Constitution is unequivocal: "Alterations to the territory of Ukraine shall be resolved exclusively by the All-Ukrainian referendum." Crimea is not allowing the rest of Ukraine's 44m people to weigh in on the fate of the peninsula, so the March 16th vote will violate Ukrainian law. -

source

0 Replies