Formulas or Formula

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 01:52 am
Hi there, I would like to know which one is correct:
"Discover your formula for success" OR
"Discover your formulas for success"?

We need (my personal point of view) to take more than one step to be successful, it has to be "plural" -- "Discover your formulaS for success". I am confused now. Please advise!
Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 630 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 03:11 am
Either one is correct. I suspect that mot native-speakers of English would say "formula for success." However, speaking about taking more than one step sort of muddid\es the waters. Using that assertion, "formulas for success" would also make sense. Since using "formulas" is not wrong, and since you speak of more than one step, it might be best to go with "formulas."
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 07:24 am
It seems to me that using 'formulas' makes for a good jumping off point. You can talk about how the plural sounds a little odd but that it's more truthful than thinking that you are on a single path to success.

Let us know what you figure out.

Joe(multi-pathing on my way)Nation
troubleshooter

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 08:14 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for helping! :-)
0 Replies

troubleshooter

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 08:23 am
@Joe Nation,
Hi Joe, Thanks for helping.
I was just insecured while reading some of the marketing strategies on different websites like : "Secret Formula for Business Success", "Formula for Success" etc. I thought of it should be more than one formula to be successful, and why these presenters preferred omitting the "s". I was not sure if the "plural" form should be used or it is considered as wrong to use it.
Need advice.
oristarA

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 08:24 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Either one is correct. I suspect that mot native-speakers of English would say "formula for success." However, speaking about taking more than one step sort of muddid\es the waters. Using that assertion, "formulas for success" would also make sense. Since using "formulas" is not wrong, and since you speak of more than one step, it might be best to go with "formulas."

Failed to understand the meaning of muddid\es. What does it mean? Please unfold it.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 10:22 am
@oristarA,
It was a f*cking mistake, OK Mr. Perfect? It was muddies, i misspelled it, and made another error in attempting to correct it.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 08:41 am
@troubleshooter,
If you are translating and they used 'formula', translate as 'formula', but, if you are trying to write an intriguing or catchy English headline AND your point is that there isn't a formula for success, use 'formulas'. I think it would be more likely to catch the eye of an English reader than the usual, which is, of course, the reason you write a headline. It would not be considered wrong to use 'formulas' that way.

Your English, though far better than my Chinese, still needs work. Forgive me. I'm going to correct your reply to me.
Quote:
I was just insecured while reading some of the marketing strategies on different websites like : "Secret Formula for Business Success", "Formula for Success" etc. I thought of it should be more than one formula to be successful, and why these presenters preferred omitting the "s". I was not sure if the "plural" form should be used or it is considered as wrong to use it.
Need advice.

I just felt insecure while reading some of the marketing strategies on different websites like : "Secret Formula for Business Success", "Formula for Success" etc. I thought it should be more than one formula to be successful. I couldn't figure outwhy these presenters preferred omitting the "s". I was not sure if the "plural" form should be used or if it would be considered wrong to use it.
Please advise.

Joe(there you go)Nation
troubleshooter

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 06:18 am
@Joe Nation,
Thanks for helping and correcting my English.
:-)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 07:40 am
@Setanta,
Set: It was a f*cking mistake, OK Mr. Perfect?
//////////

You sure are an insecure little turd, Set. Better stroke his head some, Beth, and tell him what a good little boy he is.

You didn't need the question mark.
0 Replies