Evolution and rape

Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:30 am
@Setanta,
I think the arguments presented here in favor of an evolutionary advantage to rape are sound and strong. Your arguments have been very weak and your position shifting, which is why I said your opposition to the idea is probably more ideological than fact-based...
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:34 am
@Olivier5,
I guess then, that you jumped into the thread without actually reading it. I have consistently stated that i am not saying that the thesis is incorrect, but rather that it is not proven, and that the arguments offered for it here are implausible. I have not shown any "opposition" to the thesis, i have only pointed out the lack of any real evidence, and the weaknesses of the arguments offered here in favor of it. Once again, tediously, i'm not saying it is incorrect, just that it is not proven, and no sound arguments are being offered for it.

If you actually did read the thread, then i would suspect that you have serious reading comprehension problems. However, what i actually suspect is going on is that you just jumped in here hoping to pick a fight. Have fun with that, Bubba.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:38 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I have consistently stated that i am not saying that the thesis is incorrect, but rather that it is not proven, and that the arguments offered for it here are implausible.

Yet on your first post on this thread, you wrote:
Quote:
Rape isn't a product of evolution, it's a product of religion.

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 04:31 pm
@Olivier5,
No sense of humor, huh? How's your project to pick a fight workin' out for ya, Bubba?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 05:17 pm
@Setanta,
Ah okay, so I suppose that if I find another similar quote of yours dismissing the thesis altogether, you're going to say it was a joke too... Convenient but not convincing.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 05:24 pm
I don't care what, if anything, you are convinced of--how's you picking a fight project coming along, Bubba?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 05:44 pm
@Setanta,
That project is in your head, so ask yourself the question.

In your second post on this thread you said:

Quote:
I find the entire thesis to be implausible in the extreme

That's different from "unproven". I agree it's not proven, but to call it "implausible in the extreme" indicates a profound distaste for even considering the idea. Your position is not rational.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 06:57 pm
@Olivier5,
So then, your project to pick a fight is not working out for you, huh? I'm so sad for you.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:56 pm
@Setanta,
That's the kind of reply we usually get from Frank... I was expecting a little more honesty from you, for some strange reason.
gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:20 am
Yet another Darwinian success story:

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/judge-sentences-serial-rapist-to-life-in-prison-but-says-he-wishes-the-term-could-be-a-trillion-years.html/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 03:29 am
@Olivier5,
You (dishonestly) quoted the last sentence from the post in which i explained why i found the thesis implausible. Don't try to sneer at me about Frank and dishonesty. What you're doing, in effect, is what Frank likes to do. To pick a fight which he will carry on ad nauseum. I explained why i find the thesis implausible, and i answered what Thomas and Max had to say in an attempt to make it seem plausible. In particular, i advise you to go to page one of this thread and read what Rosborne had to say.

I'm not going to go through it all again just to gratify your compulsion to pick a fight. Keep your sneers to yourself, you just make yourself look a fool.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2014 12:57 pm
@Setanta,
The flaw in Rosborne argument in that first post of his on this thread, and in many of yours, is that it drastically limits the time span during which evolution could have inscribed some tendency to sexual coercion in our present genome. Why would anyone assume that this could only happen to Homo sapiens, and even worse in your case, to H. sapiens only after he moved out of Africa? Why not in the millions of years before sapiens, when our ancestors' kids needed limitted parental nurture as compared to ours?

Another flaw is to assume that children of rapes have a much lesser chance of securing parental nurture, and hence have less chance of survival, than others. That's an unproven assumption and judging from what happens in modern times, totally unfounded.
Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 05:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Sure, Bubba . . . you know all about evolution (hint: homo sapiens have not been around for millions of years). Tell us about the killer apes again, Einstein.
Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 05:47 pm
Say, how's that project to pick a fight working out for you, Bubba?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 08:13 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Sure, Bubba . . . you know all about evolution (hint: homo sapiens have not been around for millions of years). Tell us about the killer apes again, Einstein.

My point was precisely that, since an overwhelming majority of our genome predates our species, and was passed on to us from previous human and humanoid species, any genetic tendency to rape that may exist in our present genome could well predate Homo sapiens. That's the most serious and obvious flaw in your and Rosbone's logic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:18 am
I see . . . so your plan to pick a fight is NOT working out for you.
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:18 am
@Setanta,
Signature
Real life . . . no, there's no app for that. -- Setanta, March, 2014

Kinda full of yourself, arencha, Set?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:29 am
@Setanta,
Rather, your plan to cast my arguments as mere nitpicking just blew up in your face. You lost.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:32 am
Sure, Bubba . . . whatever you say. I find it hilarious that you make an ignorant remark, try to claim that you meant it all along, and then declare yourself some kind of winner. Too bad about your plan to pick a fight, though.
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:38 am
@Setanta,
Typical Setanta.
0 Replies