I Need Advice Choosing Recliner For COPD Patient

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 05:52 am
My Mom needs a good DURABLE recliner as she not only sits in it during the day, she sleeps in it at night! We simply can not afford a high-end chair. We have to stay under $600. We are not looking for leather or such. She actually prefers fabric upholstery, such as the microfiber. Also, we are not expecting "champagne on a beer budget". But hopefully, someone here can recommend either particular brands or models or tell me what to avoid and what to look for when checking a recliner out. There must be some questions to ask the salesperson that will help us choose.
If we could afford to buy her a new chair every couple of years, I wouldn't worry so much, but unfortunately, this is not the case. She is ailing, so please, if you can, any guidance would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,345 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 08:30 am
@janlee64,
I don't really know brands, but the questions you might want to ask should probably center around things like whether the fabric is washable (or removable would be even better), and the angle that the chair can recline to, plus how much weigh it can safely bear.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 09:59 am
@janlee64,
If you can, have your mother test drive the recliner. The design is important and will effect her comfort.

For instance, some arms are very softly padded and don't offer safe support to help her out of the chair. If she is weak, arms that provide a sturdy support may be better.

Check where the leg rest hits the back of her legs. If it is in the wrong spot, it is uncomfortable and can cause leg pain in long duration.

Check that the head and neck are supported with not too much or too little padding. Can she comfortably lay her head back and still converse or watch TV?

Check the mechanism. Is she strong enough to operate it with her legs? Can she reach and operate the handle when shifting from recline to sitting?
0 Replies