What is Success?

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:17 pm
It seems are society bases success on wealth more than any other factor. The dictionary defines success as a favorable course or termination of anything attempted and also as the gaining of position, fame, wealth, etc. Usually when you hear some one speaking of another's success, it typically includes wealth or associated with their job position. Is this really success? What if they have no family, nothing else in their life, but their work? Is being happy a better indication of success? Or is it some combination?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,182 • Replies: 16
No top replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:10 pm
I believe success cannot be defined in dictionary manner. And I think it's pretty much personal thing - you may consider yourself successfull and I can think that I am not successfull (given that I am in same situation as you are), and we will still both be right, because our personal impression is probably the only thing that matters
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:28 pm
This is a very broad question. No simple answer is coming from me. But I would suggest one component: success is being happy with what you've got just as much, or more so, that getting what you want.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:48 pm
Have you ever wondered why they replaced "life, liberty, and property" with "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?" Is happiness really a synonym for property?

Edit: Wrong order
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:03 pm
succes is to reach anything
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 06:44 am
Did they really replace "pursuit of happiness?"

If I look at the happiness quota - I am a success. If I look at career, goals, etc. because I expect so much from myself I am not a success.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 06:48 am
Contentment.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:24 am
success is 'happiness' with 'baggage' (notice all those doubbbble letters - that should telllll you something!)

and actual success is achieved when you get rid of the baggage!

and to enlarge somewhat upon that semi glib definition;

success seems to be about 'things', or perhaps the magnitude of the 'things' themselves, or the magnitude of the quantity, and expense thereof.
In the worst cases this success accounting exercise includes human beings, considered as 'belongings'.

a real understanding of success came to me upon the realization that 'things' have no importance beyond the simple utility of the most basic; and life develops meaning in inverse proportion to one's desire to possess.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:31 pm
truth
Wise words, BoGoWo. By the way, are you male or female? I'm thinking of the photo of you with JOEblow. One of you is a gorgeous gal, but it didn't say which one.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:33 pm
Having butt sex with two hot asian twin sisters at once?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:44 pm
truth
How did you get THAT past the monitors? Asian twins???? Embarrassed
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:06 am
JLNobody wrote:
......By the way, are you male or female? I'm thinking of the photo of you with JOEblow. One of you is a gorgeous gal, but it didn't say which one.

yes! - after the gorgeous gal, i'm the 'leftover'!

Rolling Eyes

and slappy; where did the pretext for that inimical comment appear?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:36 am
It's success, baby.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:50 am
Having a dream.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 08:04 am
I think it depends on each person's own definition. Personal happiness, family, achieving goals, contributing to human progress, amassing wealth, or gaining power may all be considered "success."

I like Emerson's definition best: "To laugh much; to win respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give one's self; to leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition.; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--this is to have succeeded."
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:31 am
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z.
Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

-- Albert Einstein
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 02:44 pm
truth
Terry, it may sound counterintuitive but Nietzsche greatly appreciated Emerson.
0 Replies