Typing-in what manner and how fast?

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:35 am
How do you type? With 2 or 3 fingers or using the correct method? How fast do you type? And where/how did you learn?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,553 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:52 am
I use all ten fingers, but I really don't type correctly. I never really learned the proper way to type. I can type about 35 wpm, but I do have to look at the keyboard once in awhile. And there are certain typos that I make constantly!

A few years ago, I signed up for:

http://www.learn2type.com/

It is a pretty good program, and free, but I never had the discipline to stick to it.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:27 am
Two fingers and thumbs to press te space bar - never learned it, I guess just got used to this style of typing and can do pretty well with it - never counted though !!

Thanks god for spell checks Smile
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:27 am
My dad made my brothers & me take typing class in high school; he was in the Army during Vietnam, and most of his unit saw combat. However, they needed one person for clerical duties in Chicago, and he was the only one in his unit that could type--thus his typing skills kept him stateside.
Anyways, I type using the "correct method", around 90 wpm.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:50 am
I learned to type quickly by hanging around in a busy chat room. I still have to, at times, restrain myself from typing /me to indicate an action.

I usually don't look at the keyboard and I use maybe 8 of my fingers (not the pinkies) for most of my typing. And then, when just about ready to post, I reread almost everything and check for typos and to make sure I make sense, then out it goes to the ether. :-D
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:55 am
Quote:
... and I use maybe 8 of my fingers (not the pinkies) for most of my typing

Just how many fingers do you have, Jespah?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:14 am
I touch type, in the "proper" manner. I can probably do 70-90 wpm, depending upon the weather and just how irritating CdK is today. By the by, with regard to what Phoenix said, i do best when i don't look at the keys.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:37 am
touch type and never look at the keys. When I took typing in high school (an after thought) the keys were covered except the number keys. I still have to look at those. I have no idea how fast I type. Never checked it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:39 am
I type using the correct method. I learn't using a couple of free computer tutors. I do about 45WPM when copying text and probably around 50+ when typing something straight out of my head.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:25 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Quote:
... and I use maybe 8 of my fingers (not the pinkies) for most of my typing

Just how many fingers do you have, Jespah?

Eleventeen. I keep extra sets, you know, just in case.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:26 am
Touch typing. Up to 55wpm at one time. Probably back to 40 or so now. Opposite of Wilso - I can copy much faster than I can compose at the keyboard.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
I *learned* to type in highschool.
I had a teacher in high school who predicted I be a fast typist. Her theory was if you played the piano, you had the right habits. After watching me for a few weeks, she was dismayed to find me looking at the keys. I would never become a good typist if I kept that up, pretend its like the piano, she said. I told her I did, but in the ten years I'd played I still looked at the keys too. So, I can type with all ten fingers, I still make the same mistakes, type anywhere from 35 - 50 WPM, depending on my mood. And after all those years, I don't have to look at the keyboard anymore, well.... at least at the computer.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:17 am
Learned the touch typing technique in high school and was graded at 85 wpm. Can't do that now without mistakes (thank gawd for the edit button!)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:19 am
(As example of some of the postings on A2K, it looks like they are typing faster than their brain is working. So if they are hunting and pecking, that's not meant as a compliment. Very Happy )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:42 am
I'm a touch-typer. Took typing for 3 weeks in the summer after Grade 10. No looking, no re-reading and editing. When I'm really in a groove, I'm around 70-80 wpm. Most days it's more like 50-60. Saturday mornings, 20, maybe.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:18 pm
How about Friday night? If I'm actually at home and have had a few of glasses of Merlot, it's more like 10 WPM.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:04 pm
Friday nights. That's funny. This is turning out to be an odd Friday night. I spaced at the end of my subway ride tonight, and got on the wrong bus for the last leg of my trip home, and then had to walk, hmmmmm, well a lot of blocks. My typing speed is o.k., but my brain melted down about 5 hours ago.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
I learned to type on a tty. I was often doing things at the same time as typing... since it is talking on the phone... and so learned how to type with one hand. I can do this pretty fast. When I had a lot going on at my job I used to sign with one hand and type with the other. (Especially when I was trying to tell someone in another room what I was saying -- more complicated if I was signing/ typing two completely different things..!)

Now I don't look, and am up in the 70's prolly when I get in a grove, 50-60 more common (and if sozlet is feeling... helpful..., probably more like -10 as I have to keep stopping and deleting.)

I don't do it correctly, though, still heavily use the right hand and just have the left do a few little auxilary things. I use the right pinky but not the left, etc.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:26 pm
Learned the theory of typing on a manual typewriter. Then didn't touch a keyboard for about two years. When I started messing with computers, I slowly taught myself to type.

I do about 70 wpm, mostly correctly. I used to use the backspace key quite a bit, but as I spend more time typing I spend less time backspacing. Unless I misspell a word.

That actually happens quite a bit.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:19 pm
Pretty nuch "hunt-and-peck"... but I use several fingers most of the time ... tangle 'em up once in a while, too. Sometimes I dunno if I misspell more things, or just mistype 'em. Sometimes I manage to achieve both. Once in a while, I'll catch an error just as I click "Submit" ... that really frosts me.
0 Replies