Grading the Olympics

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:18 am
@oralloy,
ok, so maybe .22's?
Do they carry around these target guns with bull barrels? Those can be heavy.(maybe that's part of the game--schlepping )
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:27 am
@oralloy,
In the games like hockey, the finalists have already amassed the best records by virtue of the way the round robin tournament works. So you've got the two teams with the best records.

Id like to see a best out of three for the gold and silver. You can always have a bad night but best of three is more a real measure. Same thing with the two left overs from the second best teams that played the top two. They should play first a best of three and then a best of three for the top two. That way wed have Bronze, then gold and silver decided.
Keeps it exciting.
I don't see a best of three for something like curling though. Itd take weeks and nobody watch anyway.

Next Olympics , when they are going to have Olympic Ice fishing. That oughta be as exciting as a haircut.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
ok, so maybe .22's?
Do they carry around these target guns with bull barrels? Those can be heavy.(maybe that's part of the game--schlepping )

"The biathlete carries a small bore rifle, which weighs at least 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lb), excluding ammunition and magazines. The rifles use .22 LR ammunition and are bolt action or Fortner (straight-pull bolt) action."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biathlon
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 06:39 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
they've been using air guns no?
I 'm not sure, but I think thay r using .22 rifles.
Again: I 'm not sure about that.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 06:51 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
I heard that thay were ending the use of guns.
Is that true ??????

I hadn't heard that, but I don't really follow biathlon.

It has appeared to me as if they were using guns when biathlon has been shown
in Olympic coverage over the past week.

I'm not entirely sure how biathlon could be carried out without the use of guns,
as it is kind of integral to the sport.
I heard a passing remark or maybe a question,
from one of the media journalists (Matt Lauer, maybe???) about
forthcoming absence of guns, or end of an event that uses guns;
something like that. I am not at all clear on this.
I attributed it to political correctness.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 08:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It can depend on the athlete. For example someone that is not expected to even place, coming in third can be a huge accomplishment. Often times these athletes end up doing amazing things they have never done before - last night in ice skating a women from Italy overcame previous failings where she was the first ever from her country to even medal in this event.

On the other hand you have the opposite happen...Some one that is expected to already be the best in the world and then fall short of even getting a medal.

For most though even making the Olympics is the huge accomplishment - anything over that is simply gravy. Most do the opposite of what you suggest....meaning to purposing fall short so as not to be third. Many, even though they may have no chance...try to do their own personal best. Doing their best, especially after a fall (or similar depending on the sport) actually show true character and a true athlete -- for these athletes giving up is not an option. They would never be where they are if they had that sort of attitude. It is called perseverance.

Many of these athletes that fall short --- if you can even consider having a bronze medal as falling short -- end up coming back in the next to win. If they start by their first try giving up, they will never reach the gold level.

And like others say -- to be third in the entire world, you think that is bad or failure -- not so much.

Linkat

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 08:32 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Dave wrote:
I think that if I were in the Olympics ( a ridiculous notion )

Did you know that there are shooting sports in the Summer Olympics?

there is also in the winter too - called the biathlon - combined cross country skiing and rifle shooting.

Oops someone beat me too it. I always thought I'd enjoy that competition - I used to cross country ski alot.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 08:39 am
@Linkat,
Thank u. I see your point.

David
0 Replies