Front Yard Easter Island heads

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 12:53 pm
um well, I had a cottonwood in my back yard that my grandfather planted 100 yrs ago, was about 8 ft diameter and as cottonwood is somewhat of a soft wood tree it tends to break apart easily in winds or snow loads and come crashing down. on the other hand I do like cottonwoods very much.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 02:28 pm
I'm not against cutting trees, I'm against making a living stump into a head. It just sounds creepy to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:00 pm
I'm with ya there, piffka!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 06:51 pm
Item. Made myself a plaster of paris and chickenwire Easter Island Head for a party. It was a great sucess, but no longer exists.

Item. when we bought this place the trees had not been trimmed for over 20 years. You know what a maple sapling can do in 20 years? We dropped about 40 trees on 2/3 acre in the first four months. Sometimes it has to be done. And, dammit, I didn't sculpt a single one.

Item. There's a restraunt in Cambridge MA. Used to be polynesian (Aku Aku). Now it's a high end clam shack (Jasper White's Summer Shack). The Easter Island head is now an oddly shaped fisherman.
0 Replies

Witch Hazel

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:52 pm
Sod roof...Cotonwood trees
There is a farmer in Texas that has a partial subterranean home, it was just it the free paper, he uses airplane windshields as skylights because cows would break the normal ones. The picture I got in my head of a cow on its back in the middle of this mans house made me laugh.

As for cottonwood trees, being deathly allergic to them, they need to all die!!!! Oh and they can take the fruitless mulberry with them when they go to h@ll the four on my property caused about forty thousand dollars worth of damage to the foundation and pipes, the developer planted them because they would grow fast...they are evil. Somethings just deserve death (I have relatives that prove this, so why not trees?) Laughing

P.S. yes I really am this annoying and offensive in real life, ask Dorel.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:21 am
Yes, Witch Hazel is so annoying I spend a lot of quality time with her laughing, giggling, and arguing about whether or not eucalyptus trees are weeds in California which lead to many of the conflagrations that consume 100s of 1,000s of acres of land where people were never meant to live.

Trees, forests and plant life in general are my true love. But and it is a big but, why do we move to climates and places that appeal to us and then import flora and fauna that destroy the natural environment.

P.S. The same goes for my home state, Colorado, the fire problems there are also a result of people living where they were not meant to, planting plants and trees they brought from other parts of the country and refusing to clear trees that need to be cleared. Denver has been on water restrictions since I was five years old.

Ducking and running before the tree hugging police come after me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:45 am
Can you tell me more about the allergy thing, Witch Hazel? My hubby is allergic to a lot of stuff (especially mold), and I asked him about that (whether he'd be allergic to the cottonwoods) and he pointed me to a website that said cottonwoods get a bad rap and it is pollen from other trees (like cypress) around the same time that cause the problems while cottonwoods get the blame.

If you know otherwise, lemme know.

Thanks!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:49 am
the original cottonwood tree was a major cause of alegeric reactions, however, quite some years ago the "seed-bearing" cottonwood was replaced by the "seedless" cottonwood and does not seem to have the same effect. I am not sure about other states but it is illegal to sell the original "seed-bearing" cottonwood in colorado.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:11 am
sozobe wrote:
Yep.

Off-topic stray thought I had while on the plane, how complicated would it be to have grass on every flat roof? There are a lot of them, and if it were universal, it seems like that would help. I'm sure there would need to be complicated drainage systems et al, but seems like it would help with insulation (hot/cold.)

Stray thought.

Soz look at the work of Hundertwasser - he designed just that - motorway service stations were only visible from the road in his designs and has a turf roof curving up and over. He was a very interesting character,

Incidentally - the weight of a turf roof should be manageable - in the Dordogne area roof 'tiles' are large blocks of thick stone weighing tons and they've been there for centuries

old crofts in the Scottish Islands were built with turf roofs
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:31 am
Viv, at this point I would not worry about being off topic since it seems quite some time ago any one of us mentioned Easter Island, hehe.

Also I have a couple of my paintings now posted in the A2k Gallery if you want to take a look.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:36 pm
Hi Witch Hazel... your image of the cow falling through the window and into that man's house made me laugh too.

Didn't know that cottonwoods were so treacherous.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:53 pm
Re: Sod roof...Cotonwood trees
Witch Hazel wrote:
There is a farmer in Texas that has a partial subterranean home, it was just it the free paper, he uses airplane windshields as skylights because cows would break the normal ones. The picture I got in my head of a cow on its back in the middle of this mans house made me laugh.

The picture I got was of the back end of the cow, as seen from below, doing what the back end of a cow does...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:18 pm
>plop<
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:03 pm
Yikes cow pie everywhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:30 pm
And some of us flither happily in offtopicness.

On turf roofs, surely structure can be worked out, even if steel needs to be added, but usually only some upsized beams and various drainage mechanisms and impermeable membranes..
I am more iffy on the aesthetics, some combo in my own mind of the nature of the site and the implantation of a residence on the land. Some will take this and go with it to having the structure have an earthen roof, and some, like me, will want the building to lie quietly on that land...

I see the roof structure as a contrivance and others see it, I think, as an enrapping, a hand from house to earth and back.

I won't argue with either view.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:32 am
More About Easter Island
0 Replies

Witch Hazel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:52 am
How I learned to love shots...
sozobe wrote:
Can you tell me more about the allergy thing, Witch Hazel? My hubby is allergic to a lot of stuff (especially mold), and I asked him about that (whether he'd be allergic to the cottonwoods) and he pointed me to a website that said cottonwoods get a bad rap and it is pollen from other trees (like cypress) around the same time that cause the problems while cottonwoods get the blame.

If you know otherwise, lemme know.

Thanks!

Yes I have been tested. I carry an epi-pen with me always. I have been taking shots for about four years now and it helps. You can't tell if someone is allergic unless you take the test and even that is not totally accurate. I believe that they told me if you don't react to the test they are 90% sure your not allergic. The best one to be tested for was Cockroach poo!Shocked I'm not allergic to that one!
0 Replies