Text ads within forum content

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 09:40 pm
I've seen several. Lots of "computer"s and "website"s and such. The very first one was way confusing for a bit, then I remembered, and after seeing about 4 of them they've already become part of the landscape. Pretty easy to adjust to as these things go.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 09:40 pm
See! :-D
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:19 am
BTW, they are only running on the Able2Know template, so if they really bother you at the moment ot's possible to use another template and they won't show up.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:27 am
Laughing Funny! An add for flash in a post talking about flash suppressors on assault rifles.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:32 am
Yeah, right now it's running tech words throughout the site but depending on the initial run other chanels like travel and entertainment will be added.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 01:13 am
Well, I don't like it.

Actually, I want to decide, who is using my own text for commercials - especially, when I own the copyright for it - which I still am, according to the TOS, at this date/time (TOS, II, B).

To keep the site running, I donated and subscribed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 01:36 am
If you don't like it I can respect that, but trying to frame it as a copyright issue and a violation of the TOS by the site is not true. The TOS does not in grant the right to decide how the advertisements work. In fact, it's very explicit about not granting that at all.

We are not soliciting "permission" from individuals about how the costs will be paid for. It's just not possible (I can imagine it now "I do not want any ads for French products on any of the pages that contain my posts...").

This method of advertising is currently being tested, I am not sure if it will be used in the long run and am unhappy with some technical issues. But at the same time it's not reasonable to expect us to get individual permissions on page display and advertising from each member with all the vastly different preferrences.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:41 pm
I have absolutely no problem with the green thingys. I am allowed a choice to click or not to click...an opportunity to demonstrate free will!

I have started clicking on them with the hope that doing so will put some pennies into the A2K account and assuage my guilty conscience.

JM
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:46 pm
James,

Please don't click for that, please only click if you are interested in the advertised product/service.

"Fraudulent clicks" can harm us in a big was (as they should since advertisers aren't paying to support this site).

Anywho, I'll be removing them tomorrow, too much hate mail (blindsided me, I got no bad feedback before it, and tons of outrage afterwards).

I'd take em down now but I want one full day of testing.

It's a pity this is so objectionable, it's a really solid revenue model and could have replaced some of the image ads (which I dislike in comparison to text ones).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:48 pm
hate mail? Maybe tricky advertizing, but it's less invasive than pop-ups and flashing boxes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:57 pm
Oh, tons of hate mail, accusations that it's illegal, against the site TOS Rolling Eyes, immoral, threats of lawsuits and all kinds of ****, it's not worth the aggravation. Anywho, this morning apache failed under the work load so when the site gets slow as the server load increases and I'm not prepared to scale I'll just answer the subsequent hate mail with directions to contact the people complaining about the ads.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:02 pm
who was the hate mail from?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:09 pm
I'm sorry to hear about the hate mail. I have no problem with these ads, and I can't understand why anyone dislikes them enough to be angry about it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:35 pm
so what happens when your own link is an a word used in the ads? testing website
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:17 pm
Well, the green words were annoying at first, but after a few moments I learned to ignore it. For me, the banner ads are more effective because I've actually clicked on a couple of them, Ben Sherman (I just dig Ben Sherman clothes), and another one I don't recall right now. I just hovered over the green words, however, read what they linked to, and ignored them after a while.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:59 pm
Sorry for the aggravation. I never saw them as am not often at the website/computer forums, else I'd be smarter. Pffffft, many of the posters there get great info bennies from being here with your constant info generosity - I've noticed that much and admire it/think it smart.

Hmmm. Perhaps an atlarge campaign for the intertext ads? Or is that more trouble than it's worth?

Craven, a month or so ago I asked if ever helped it we clicked on adverts and you admonished me to only click re interest, but me, I get it, had already gotten it, it is very dangerous to over click. I was just wondering if any click at all helped, and still wonder that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 06:29 am
The green links are still here, so ...

I get so peeved when people don't support efforts Craven makes to keep the site self-reliant. What do they think - that his purpose in having a job is to keep A2K afloat? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:33 am
CDK I will soon be a subscriber again. It is just a matter of a couple of days. And do what you have to do. Asking for input is a good thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:40 am
A non issue for me, but honestly, the ads so far are so far out of context, I can't see the advertisers getting any return on their efforts.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:15 pm
The results of the test are in. It's easily the most successful way of advertising we used (cept for the fact that it pisses people off seemingly more than popups and spam).

Anywho, they've been removed now. Dunno what will happen with them in the future but it's a solid program with the immediate potential to keep us out of the red.
0 Replies