Text ads within forum content

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:06 pm
Shortly Able2Know.com will experiment with an ad format better suited to forums (which are already hard to monetize).

Now it has the potential to be controversial, and for this reason I'm seeking feedback here. Of course whether or not this is decided on is not entirely based on user-feedback as there are things like site viability to consider.

This could be a good enough revenue stream to sustain the site and even future growth. So it will be experimented with but its use in a user-generated setting is controversial. Hence the desire for feedback.

Here is how it works.

It's similar to the Google (AdSense) ads we were using in the past and similar to the Quigo (AdSonar) ads we are currently running in some places in that this too will be contextual.

But there's an additional factor in that IntelliTXT makes certain words within the content itself the ads.

This has a huge upside because many people simply ignore all ads and a publisher like Able2Know that is trying to monetize a free, content-based site has a hell of a time making ends meet.

Given that we are a forum this is even worse, there are too many repeat visitors and this makes it hard to use non-contextual models.

So this could be something that makes a big difference for Able2Know and it's future viability, but I do want to get feedback on it.

Incidentally, I happen to think that a text link ad is less intrusive than banners and such, but others might feel differently ("It's my post and....").

I'd prefer to use this kind of thing, and if it works well enough to remove one of the other ad spaces (e.g. dump the skyscrapers on the right) but that's just me.

Initially in testing it will be added to the existing ads (I can't afford to experiment with ad removals until I know how to generate the revenue that will be lost) but I hope this works well enough to get rid of most of the other ads.

The link ads themselves are liked to differently than regular links (double underline, will be a different color) and when you hover the mouse over them they'll clearly be labelled as an ad.

See the demo to learn more about how it works.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,897 • Replies: 114
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:18 am
Craven
Since I'm one of those dolts who never pay any attention to ads on our forum or almost everywhere else, I don't care what is used if it helps to financially support the continuation of A2K. As long as ads don't interfer with my posting and reading, you can ad away---except for the dreaded pop-up type or the ones that cover the forum text and you have to manually delete them to read what's covered up. I hate those little buggers.

BBB
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:29 am
I don't much mind either way; I mostly never see ads as it is, unless I "let my shields down". I had to disable a buncha stuff just to see the demo, and even more to get it to work Mr. Green
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:53 am
I think I would find the underlined links to be less intrusive than banner ads.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:41 am
My vote is for underlined ads; they're pretty unobtrusive, and if we get the skyscraper space back (the ad space on the right), we'll have fewer horizontally stretched screens.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 03:37 pm
i vote (if it comes to that) for underlined ads.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 03:39 pm
Just to clarify, I'm not sure if it will come down to a choice between skyscrapers (the tall ones to the right) and the text ads. But I'd like to get rid of the skys and if the text ads can replace their revenue it might be an option.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 03:47 pm
If it keeps A2K going, I'm in full support.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:06 pm
I like it.

I like Google ads, too - because they make sense, and I actually click on them sometimes for that reason.

I think you're right, that there may be a bit of a kerfuffle at first - because it moves the ad into the text - but I would think that most folk will get used to it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:16 pm
I'm a Google-ad clicker, so this approach makes sense to me.
If it helps out the site, I'd say it's the thing to do, but then I'm usually not much of a 'it's my thread' kinda person - I think the 'it's my thread/it's my post' types will find it a bit of an adjust, but <shrug>, tough.

I think it could get kinda funny in one of those
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
within a quote
within
a quote
discussions. If there was a particularly meaningful word being quoted and quoted and quoted ...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:29 pm
Perhaps Ad-Free could be a subscription-based perq.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:37 pm
Oh, I like that, timber!

I really don't mind the skyscraper ads. It's the pop-ups (especially the ones that you have to delete in order to read the posts) that bother me. I don't care for the underlined ads at all. I would find them very distracting. But as always, do what you have to do.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
That's the bottom line for me too, do what you have to do.
I agree it could be very cumbersome in the quote within a quote things, say, on politics or in the philosophy threads where even the odd post by one not in the intellectual conversation raises steam... Maybe it'll instigate whole new vocabularies.

Gee, I wonder, I bet the word games topics will get really odd links..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:25 pm
Go for it, Craven. You have my personal go ahead.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:48 pm
mac11 wrote:
I think I would find the underlined links to be less intrusive than banner ads.

I agree
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:57 pm
I figure it ain't so much a question of one or the other, its a question of what works to the overall best interest of the website, as I see it. If one or the other can do the job alone, fine. If it takes both to make a difference, fine. Those uncomfortanle with the ads can subscribe or employ adblocking software ... those wish to ride for free have to understand a website, particularly a large, busy one, isn't free.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:05 pm
I agee with the links are better than ads.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:08 pm
I don't know if I agree that the links in text are better than the ads or not, I might not, but I don't care, the website first, as Timber just mentioned.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:14 pm
Me, too!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:39 pm
Would it be possible to prevent people using adblocking software unless they are subscribers?
0 Replies