One thing I will miss this summer

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:25 am
Given that I will most likely not be able to drink any alcoholic beverage this summer, there is one thing I'll miss, but I thought I would pass it on to the folks who are not recovering from liver disease....Tabu, well-chilled, on the balcony, on a hot day, overlooking the city. http://www.cclind.com/container_whats_new_fruit.html

Not only is the packaging cool, they are really tasty. There are three varieties for sale, original, exotic citrus, and wicked red. They are all tasty. I love how the article mentions that Tabu is "low alcohol". The drinks are 7%, and with all the sugar and drinkability, plus the 500 ml. can, they sneak up on ya really fast. Personally, I can't have more than one in a sitting, but I will miss the refreshing taste. Fruitopia with vodka? Pretty close.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,468 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:10 am
well hell, welcome to the league of non drinkers. I miss marinis more than anything. However Ive taken to mixing an tart cranberry juice with orange over ice. Its a good summertime beverage for those of us who no longer imbibe.

I was never a big "wine cooler" fan , and I quit drinking when stuff like Zima was being hawked. I cant think of drinking a clear white malt beverage. Sounds friggin unnatural.

Hope youre healing at an accelerated pace.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:18 am
A "White Sngria" is good as well.

4 cups white grape juice
1 cup pink grapefruit juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 bottle club soda (750 milliliters)
Pink grapefruit slices

In a large pitcher, combine all three juices. Refrigerate. Just before serving, add the soda water and grapefruit slices (and other fruit, if you'd like). Makes about 12 servings

Besides, non-alcoholic drinks are really refreshing in summer - you start perhaps singing later, but remember the lyrics longer :wink:
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:41 am
I wish they'd market a low sugar vodka drink. Why do they always have to be so sweet?

Cav, when I lived in Kelowna Mission Hill Winery was building a huge expansion with caverns and a display kitchen with auditorium and so on.
It was built in part with the funds from Mike's Hard lemonade...
Check it out.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:03 am
Ahh, Mission Hill. Yes, I know their wines. Thanks for the link Ceili. I didn't know that Mike's Hard (which I can't stand) put profit into the expansion.

Walter, I'm pretty sure we've made that ourselves, for dinner parties with friends who don't drink. However, for some unknown reason, I'm not supposed to have grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Who knew?

farmerman, yes, healing up nicely. Been experimenting with a few non-alcoholic cocktails. I'm still a fan of orange juice (or peach) with soda water and a splash of grenadine.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:36 am
grapefruit juice has an enzyme that speeds up metabolism of many meds. I take BP medicine and Its a vasodilator. Before I was aware of the side effects I drank a grapefreuit drink and about a half hour later nearly fell asleep at the wheel of my truck . I pulled over and slept for an hour . All because the grapefreuit enzyme kicked in the meds which were on a slow release . Many meds are dosed predicated on attaining a certain "titer" (a constant level over a fixed time). If your food breaks down the release coatings , you could have adverse reactions or, in the case of some liver conditions, can overwhelm the ability for meds to be absorbed in a non toxic condition.

I think pineapple has a similar enzyme, although Im not certain about that one.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:39 am
Thanks for the info, fm. It didn't matter much to me when the doctor told me, as I hate grapefruit anyway. I'm also not too keen on pineapple.
0 Replies