Voltage reading on meter that shouldnt be there

burnout

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 08:11 pm
i have a neutral and active from a gpo in a house the active is connected to a single pole double throw switch (light switch) and i have two actives from the outputs of the switch, when i put my meter between neutral and one output i get 240v, and when i put my meter between neutral and the other output i get 130v when i should get zero and vice versa when i toggle the switch, has anyone had this problem before, and could i be getting feed back through the neutral...........need help....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,379 • Replies: 2
No top replies

BlackRussian

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 09:49 pm
@burnout,
You aren't getting backfeed from the neutral. You ARE getting back feed from the connected load, or appliance. Also, it sounds like you have 240 volts going to the load and then the switch is being used to break only one leg. This is a hazardous wiring situation. I advise you to disconnect the switch after de-energizing the branch circuit, power back up, and test the leads again. By any chance, would this be a switch for a hot water heater?
burnout

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 04:36 pm
@BlackRussian,
THANKS FOR THE REPLY, I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THE LOADS (EG ZONE MOTORS FOR A DUCTED AIRCON) ARE DISCONNECTED WHEN READINGS ARE TAKEN.......ANY IDEAS....?
0 Replies