wiring a 230v 13amp saw motor

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 09:38 am
I have large table saw with 230 volt, 13 amp single phase motor. the shop has ample power receptacles but they are all on 50 amp breakers and the receptacles are rated at 50 amps (u shaped ground, larger vertical blade on left, smaller vertical blade on the right).
I intend to replace the breaker with a 30 amp but was wondering if i could keep the receptacles as is?
I also need to make an extension cord to go from the saw to the wall receptacle. for that I purchased 20 feet of 10 gauge wire and the same style plugs that would be compatible with the existing receptacle (described above).
Will I be damaging the motor to have a 50 amp plug/receptacle on a 10 gauge wire running to a 30 amp breaker?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,819 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 02:42 pm
@rjpiekos,
Quote:
wondering if i could keep the receptacles as is?
Sure Rj why not

Quote:
Will I be damaging the motor to have a 50 amp plug/receptacle on a 10 gauge wire running to a 30 amp breaker?
Depends on the length of the wire. For instance it it's 42 miles long then the lower voltage to the motor could eventually damage it. In the meantime however you might verify that 10 ga is big enough to handle 30 amps esp if lengthy cord

Google gives quick answers
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 03:05 pm
Dale wrote:
you might verify that 10 ga is big enough to handle 30 amps esp if lengthy cord

How come you could not give him the answer right away, with one of your usual crappy links?

Any simple AWG table will show you that a 10 gauge is well adapted to a 30 amp breaker.

rjpiekos wrote:

No, definitely not.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 06:21 pm
@timur,
Quote:
How come you could not give him the answer right away, with one of your usual crappy links?
Because Tim I'm such a crappy person
0 Replies

rjpiekos

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 07:38 pm
thanks to Tim and Dale.
Now kids - please kiss and make up
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 01:27 am
@rjpiekos,
Install a 30/2 CB. Install a 30 Amp 240V Receptacle. Because your shop has multiple 50Amp receptacles I would not set the cord up to use on a 50 amp receptacle because someone may plug it into one of your 50 amp circuits and that could create a problem. At 13 amps a 20ft #10 cord would have less than a 1 volt drop, so no problem there.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 11:43 am
@bahtah,
Above Bah I had asked "Why not"

Quote:
...because someone may plug it into one of your 50 amp circuits...

Quite right, hadn't occurred to me
0 Replies

BlackRussian

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:38 pm
@bahtah,
Bahtah is right that you should definitely change the receptacle. Since I'm sure the saw did not come with a 50 amp plug attached, how did you intend on plugging it into the 50 amp receptacle? If the saw comes with a 30 amp cord cap, replace the receptacle with that of a matching configuration (30 amp). I'm guessing it came with a 20 amp cord attached. I would use a 240v 20 amp receptacle and change the circuit breaker to a 2- pole 20 amp to get better over current protection more closely matching your 13 amp motor. You will need to pigtail the wire in a junction box (4 11/16) since the heavier gauge (probably #6) won't fit on the device, and in the panel.

Incidentally, plugging a 13 amp saw into one of the 50 amp circuits won't create a "problem". It's the opposite actually, that plugging your 50 amp loads into your 30 amp circuit breaker protected outlet is where the problem will be.
rjpiekos

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 06:19 am
@BlackRussian,
The saw is a Powermatic PM2000 with the following specs:
Motor Power (HP) 3
Motor Phase 1
Motor Voltage (V.) 230
Motor Current (Amps) 13

It does not come with any plug, just the white/black/geen wires (10g) coming out of the on/off switch. I was thinking of putting a 50 AMP plug on that end (matches whats on the wall), and making a 20 ft extension with the same plug/receptacle. So everything would be 50 amp to the wall receptacle and i would change out the breaker to 30 AMP. I thought that this configuration would help me avoid the issue of different wire gauges and pigtails. There is very little chance of anyone plugging in the wrong wire since this is my personal hobby shop and i only have 1 big machine - the saw.

Thanks in advance for everyones advice.
0 Replies