GFI Outlet tripping

dbucher

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 09:20 am
I recently installed a GFI outlet next to our bathroom sink. Upstream from the outlet is a vanity light. Downstream, on the same circuit there is a small, thermostically-controlled, in-duct fan, used to transfer heat from one room in the basement to another. Never had any problems with this dimming lights or tripping breakers. But now, fairly frequently, but not with any pattern, the GFI outlet trips when that motor shuts off. I replaced the GFI outlet, same result. This has me puzzled.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,010 • Replies: 3
No top replies

bahtah

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:56 pm
@dbucher,
Why is the duct-fan on a GFCI. Only the receptacle requires GFCI protection.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 04:02 pm
@dbucher,
Thanks Db for making me look up GFI. It's not clear from your description whether the fan is now powered through the GFI. If so, the tripping might owe to some kind of momentary imbalance in the fan circuitry when it shuts off
0 Replies

BlackRussian

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 09:58 pm
@dbucher,
It's fairly common to have dimming lights when you have a motor load on the same branch circuit as lighting. Motor loads have start up currents that momentarily exceed the branch circuit's over-current protection. Current codes (assuming you are in the US or Canada) require bathroom outlets to be on dedicated branch circuits, except in few conditions. I'm assuming your bathroom outlet was pre-existing and you were merely changing the GFCI that you thought was the culprit. To fix this, put the line and load wires on the line side of the GFCI. It's best to pigtail them, since my understanding is that you will have three black wires and three white wires in this particular device box. GFCI's can be quite sensitive.
0 Replies