Why do hospitals get to supercede parental rights?

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 11:36 am
Years ago I got 5 crushed ribs. I was about 11.I was behind a heavy free standing wardrobe when it was pushed forcefully against the wall.At 1st my parents tried to treat me at home, but ended up taking me to a hospital. As always a low profile was essential. Anything beyond my name, age,and allergies was too much information to give out. Of course hospitals want to know more and since saying more was out of the question as soon as my ribs were taped and antibiotics took away the chance of infection plans were made to sneak out. My mother brought fresh clothes in with her hidden in her pocketbook, unhooked all the tubes,stuck on some tape, and helped get dressed. Then when no one was looking we just went out the fire exit and hauled ass to the car. Since my parents were trying to protect me from someone dangerous there was enough of an urgency that I understand there actions. I didn't know until recently when it came up again that it was illegal. Since when can't parents make choices for their kids?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,195 • Replies: 8

contrex

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 12:56 pm
I don't know what jurisdiction you live in (country, state, etc) but where I come from (Europe) except in an emergency situation, parental consent is required in order to perform medical procedures on children, including adolescents. In fact courts throughout the western world recognise that parents have rights but additionally recognise that these rights are not absolute and exist only to promote the welfare of children. I suspect the hospital you were in did not have an automatic right to keep you there against your parents wishes, in what would amounted to custody. Hospitals in most places can override parental wishes if they would go against the welfare of the child, e.g. if the parent's religion forbade a blood transfusion, or if they objected to other life saving or urgently needed treatment for belief-linked reasons. In such a case the practitioners might have to get a court order to override the parents wishes.
Zerzin97

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 01:02 pm
@contrex,
At the time we lived in Edinburgh, Scotland. My parents disagreed with the hospital's intrusiveness and apparently earned a referral to Social Services. My family didn't stick around long enough to be investigated.
contrex

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 01:23 pm
@Zerzin97,
Zerzin97 wrote:

At the time we lived in Edinburgh, Scotland. My parents disagreed with the hospital's intrusiveness and apparently earned a referral to Social Services. My family didn't stick around long enough to be investigated.

Are you Jehovah's Witnesses?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 01:40 pm
Here in Britain if a kid is taken to hospital with bruises or broken bones etc, the police get called in to grill the parents, and if there's the slightest suspicion that the parents did it, social services take the kids away, and the parents end up in court and are possibly jailed.
Our social services are crawling with lefty pinkos and commies which partly explains why they'll try to break up families at the drop of a hat-

"Destroy the family, you destroy the country"- Lenin
contrex

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 02:10 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Our social services are crawling with lefty pinkos and commies

Do you realise what a div that makes you sound?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 02:16 pm
@contrex,
Well, if HMPS had been your educational service ...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 04:19 pm
@contrex,
Zerzin97 wrote:
contrex wrote:
Are you Jehovah's Witnesses?
My guess is most likely not.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 05:57 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: Our social services are crawling with lefty pinkos and commies
Contrex said: @RF- Do you realise what a div that makes you sound?

The social services would still be crawling with lefty pinkos and commies regardless of whether I was a div or not, I hope you're not a commie mate..Wink

For instance there was a case in the paper last year where a decent hetero married couple were refused permission to adopt a kid and the child was given to a lesbian couple instead.
And of course we all know some poor kid was given to Elton John and his gay boyfriend.

It all ties in with commie philosophy to undermine normal family standards-
"Destroy the family, you destroy the country"-Lenin
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:
its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life.
If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."
- Joseph Stalin
0 Replies