Mold inside walls of French home & no one wants to help!

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 08:08 am
Hello and thanks in advance for reading!

I live in France where most professionals (and my landlord) still believe that mold inside your home is never an issue. Thus, I am forced to remediate the problem on my own. However, I am stuck now:

There was a plumbing leak and floors were flooded in my apartment. I cleaned up all visible mold on my own – now my landlord has put in new floors and new paint on walls. But, there is still one wall that smells really strongly of mold/musty. I’ve pulled back some of the wallpaper and no mold is visible. I suspect the mold is inside the drywall.

My question is: is there anyway to solve this problem without having to replace the drywall completely? I am doing this without any help, I am a renter, and everything costs more in France than in the U.S.

Would anti-fungal paint on the surface be okay? Or an air purifier? Or …..? I don’t know what else to do without involving myself in a very expensive fix.

Also, if it’s contained, are mold spores still cirulating throughout the apartment?

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 08:37 am
Your landlord is responsible for this. Tell him you will call the authorities if it isn't corrected.

You could get VERY sick from mold. So will anyone who rents that apartment. He will have to fix it eventually.
jespah

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 09:33 am
@PUNKEY,
To add to this, I'd suggest moving out when you can - and get medical documentation if the mold makes you sick (allergies, asthma, and the like).
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 09:59 am
I visited France once (a bike ride from Leicester (England) to Paris and back), and I can honestly say France stank ever mile of the way; maybe it's their sewage system and cesspools or something.
I even saw motorists pulling into laybys to take a pee on the grass verge in full public view.
So no wonder they won't fix your mould, as filth and stink is a perfectly normal thing for the frogs and they wonder what you're complaining about ..Smile
0 Replies