No Reality Outside Our Own Existence

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:31 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Craven, I do not think that "the dualist camp" has grounds for comparing the "non-dualist camp" to a religious faith.

You miss the point JL.

It's not the philosophy that's religious it's the use of the facile "you must believe to see" arguments.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 02:32 pm
fresco wrote:
Craven,

If you are calling "transcendence of self" - "religious"

Nope, I am calling the use of the emperor's new clothes arguments to be similar to the intellectual bankrupcy of many religious solicitations.

If the position is valid it can be articulated without such shoddy mechanisms.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:01 pm
Craven,

The position cannot be "articulated" in a conventional manner. Language and logic themseves come under scrutiny Understand that and you are there ! But nor is it "the Emperors New Clothes" because adherents "agree" on the details of "the garment". This agreement is "experiential". Try describing the taste of bananas to somebody whose never tasted one. Not easy !
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:02 pm
truth
No, Craven. I understood your point. Re-read my post. I merely argued that their refusal to even attempt to "grasp" the non-dualist perspective (and that's what it is a perspective, not a systematic philosophy). It was not a demand that they have faith in order to understand. Faith has nothing to do with it. It grieves me to see that someone--an intelligent someone--who has not participated in this on-going conversaton--and therefore might be expected to have the referee's neutral perspecitve--does not see that. It is a matter of epistemological perspective, not faith. Remember, my last point: We, the non-dualist, have come to our position in our adult years after considerable effort and study. The dualists' perspective is a consequence of a life-time of passive reception, of enculturation. Who, then, is morely likely to be operating in terms of faith?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:13 pm
fresco wrote:

The position cannot be "articulated" in a conventional manner.

So it seems.

JLNobody wrote:
I merely argued that their refusal to even attempt to "grasp" the non-dualist perspective ....

You seem to be confusing "grasp" with "agree with".

So, if they attempt to "grasp" it and come away with what they see as a load of BS will you still insist that they have not "grasped" or understood it?

If so, you seem to be complaining that they do not agree with you.

Quote:
Remember, my last point: We, the non-dualist, have come to our position in our adult years after considerable effort and study.

So? And I'm not saying that to be flippant but rather because you keep repeating this as if it has some special meaning. As if this should be taken into account when one decides whether or not to agree with you.

I'm sure you can agree that insofar as support for your position goes it's meaningless. As any position (even unfounded and erroneous ones) can have adherents who have toiled long and hard to reach it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:21 pm
I forgot to comment on this:

fresco wrote:
But nor is it "the Emperors New Clothes" because adherents "agree" on the details of "the garment".

That's the same as with the emperor's new clothes story. The adherents all agreed that they's were spectacular threads.

Quote:
This agreement is "experiential". Try describing the taste of bananas to somebody whose never tasted one. Not easy !

Bad analogy. See, you are not asking people to merely ahve a look and experiment your thesis but rather describing it as an "experience" that would alter their state of mind.

Fair enough. But what constitutes this "experience"? Agreement?

Is there any way for someone to be qualified to taste your bananna and still disagree with you?

Thuis far every time you say this you are writing off dissenting opinion and it seems you are qualifying the "experience" as adopting that position.

This is no different from those who claim you must adopt Christianity in order to hear from god.

"Beleiving is seeing".

"Agree with the position and all becomes clear"
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 03:45 pm
Craven de Kere

Quote:
Yes, I'll be happy to explain it to you.

See, you are trying to write off the criticism of your use of murkiness to feign depth through the "naive realism" rejoinder.

Point out the murkiness, keeping in mind what is murky to you is not murky to others.

Point out where I have said or indicated that what I have said is deep.

Point out the deception you are accusing me of.

Naïve realism is a proper term, look it up.

Quote:
Yes, you are creating straw men from what I did not say. That is the epitomal exampel of a straw man.

So again for your edification:

You are grasping at straws. You resort to a quip you use against Joe for Joes position despite the fact that I've never espoused that position once on these boards.

What quip?

All I have responded to so far from you is your term philoso-babble. I am saying it is a simplistic, pseudo response. No depth, no getting into the issue.

Quote:
twyvel, thank you for illustrating another shoddy debate tactic. "You have said nothing".

This is belied by the fact that you are engaged in response twyvel and as such is a transparent tactic.

You have said, " What you guys are running into is what I call philoso-babble. Hiding behind non-sensicaly couched sentences."

What sentences? What are you specifically refereing to?

Quote:
"When outmatched claim the opponent isn't even there."

There is, as yet, no match here. You haven't counter any argument Craven.

Quote:
It's actually neither. It's criticism of your tendency to use logical fallacy in your arguments and ambiguity to mask your inadequacies insofar as your position is concerned.

Point out examples trying to keep an opened mind to the fact that nondualism contradicts dualism, by definition.

Quote:
The question is will it be recognized when you decide to engage?

This murky---depth dichotomy of yours is simply unsupported accusations.

Quote:
No it's not. It's supported right here. Murkiness is the substitute for substance yet again.

For the humteenth time, WHAT IS IT THAT IS MURKY? You are like someone yelling in the dark but will not say what it is that upsets you so.

Where is the intended deception that you are accusing me of?

Quote:
I think you're drowning in your own pseudo critics.

Quote:
That makes no sense twyvel. It would make more sense if you used the word critiques instead of critics but even then wouldn't make sense.

It's just another attempt to deflect through a nonsensical quip.

No it is not.

Point out your accusation of deception.

Quote:
Is this typical of you? Going around and around in circles but never getting to the point?

Focus Craven focus.

What is the criticism? What is your point?

Quote:
The point is that you are engaging in wannabe-online-philosopher and to mask your inadequacies you use abiguity and logical fallacy.

Point it out. Back up your accusations.

Quote:
Hummm………..and in bold at that.

Quote:
Here's a good example. You resort to commenting on the font instead of the content. This is typical evasion.

What am I evading? I admit that it has been jocular as you are not addressing the issues.

Quote:
Back it up. Or back it down.

Quote:
I have backed it up. Reducing you to things like commenting on the font and claiming nothing is there.

Your decision to debate at this level reinforces the point bringing out exactly what I'd accused you of doing.

No

You started it at this childish non-involved level with your first post….

" What you guys are running into is what I call philoso-babble. Hiding behind non-sensicaly couched sentences."

And have not backed it up except with more accusations. You have yet to engage the issue of this thread Craven.

The summary of your posts on this thread so far amounts to accusations of deceptions, probably disguising a lack of understanding.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:02 pm
twyvel wrote:

Point out the murkiness, keeping in mind what is murky to you is not murky to others.

Yes, some think it's deep. This says nothing more than that there is vast different between the intellectual capabilities of individuals.

I've already pointed out many examples, you respond by distractions such as commenting on font and claiming that nothing was said.

Quote:
Naïve realism is a proper term, look it up.

I know what it means. What is your point?

Quote:
All I have responded to so far from you is your term philoso-babble. I am saying it is a simplistic, pseudo response. No depth, no getting into the issue.

Sure there is depth to it. Anytime you'd like we can explore the intellectual bankrupcy of reliance on abiguity.

Quote:
What sentences? What are you specifically refereing to?

I ahve referenced several examples. You chose to ignore them or claim nothing was said and are now trying to repeat it.

Quote:
For the humteenth time, WHAT IS IT THAT IS MURKY?

Murky "is a proper term, look it up".

Quote:
You are like someone yelling in the dark but will not say what it is that upsets you so.

I'm neither yelling nor upset twyvel, only slightly amused. Laughing

Quote:
And have not backed it up except with more accusations. You have yet to engage the issue of this thread Craven.

I never claimed to. I am addressing your logical inadequacy and fallacious arguments and you, in turn, want anything else to be the subject.

Quote:
The summary of your posts on this thread so far amounts to accusations of deceptions, probably disguising a lack of understanding.

Incorrect. It's an accusation of intellectually bankrupt arguments that are used to substitute the ability to articulate and support positions.

I'm going to make this bold so you don't miss it:

This last quoted sentence is yet another example of your logically fallacious methods.

You incessantly want to write off your inability to articulate and support your position as a matter of the misunderstanding of others.

I understand it perfectly. I disagree with it. You choose to play emperro's new clothes and label diseent as inability to "understand".

It's a common fallacy, you conflate "agree with me" with "understand".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:23 pm
truth
Craven, I used the phrase, "Believing is seeing" as a general epistemological principle, not in the context of "grasping" the non-dualist position. And I AM arguing, I confess, that the dualists are rejecting the non-dualist perpective because they cannot take that perspective (cannot "grasp" it). I would bet my house that if they could take the perspective they would not reject it. It is not a set of ideas; it's, I repeat, a perspective. And I do not suggest that their inability reflects a "vast difference in intellectual capabilities..."; it seems to reflect emotional or cultural resistance. Of this is I am not certain. But it certainly seems to be so.
I wondered, Craven, why you labeled this forum Philosophy and Debate. I did not think that "debate" should have equal billing. But now I'm surprised you did not label it Debate and a little bit of philosophy. I would have labeled it Philosophy and a bit of necessary debate. Here we are no longer trying to exchange insights, literature, etc. We seem only to be trying win a contest for which there is no tangible prize. A bit childish if you ask me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:48 pm
Where's Asherman when we need him? Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:52 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Craven, I used the phrase, "Believing is seeing" as a general epistemological principle, not in the context of "grasping" the non-dualist position.

I actually hadn't seen you use it and had coined it to describe the fallacious arguments you are proposing. That you say you'd actually said it is telling though.

Quote:
And I AM arguing, I confess, that the dualists are rejecting the non-dualist perpective because they cannot take that perspective (cannot "grasp" it).

Kinda like how dumb people can't see the emperor's new clothes.

JL, this kind of argument has no place in intellectual discussion. If this were to be accepted then we might as well all resort to just saying that the other people would see things our way if they just weren't so daft.

It reduces all exchanges to calling others a pejorative (blind, dumb, unable to understand...).

Quote:
We seem only to be trying win a contest for which there is no tangible prize. A bit childish if you ask me.

JL, so when you dismiss everyone who disagrees with you as somehow blind to your enlightened position you are correct to do so.

But when others point out the intellectual bankrupcy of such methods they are childish?

Well JL, it seems that the only way to avoid being childish by your estimation is to see things your way and to discuss things your way.

Anything else is blind and childish.

"Anyone who does not see the emperor's clothes is childish"

This is just more of the same. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:59 pm
truth
I think he's too mature for this type of wrangling.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:08 pm
truth
Come on, Craven. You're being mean. You know I was not saying that anyone's position was childish, only their bilious style of debate, their deprecations. Your "JL, so when you dismiss everyone who disagrees with you as somehow blind to your enlightened position you are correct to do so" is a prime example.
I did not say that others were incapable of understanding non-dualism only that they were unwilling to do so. And I don't think you will deny their resistance.
BTW, "Believing is seeing" was just a counter to the one-sided empiricism that says "Seeing is believing," as if one's perceptual pre-disposition were not relevant to one observations, or as if perception is passive (just "taking it in") rather than active in nature.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:21 pm
JL, I certainly have no intention of being meaqn to you, and if it comes across that way I am sorry.

Anywho, the meta-debate on debate on this thread has grown old so I'll move on.

My last comment on the "believing is seeing" thing is that I suspect that people are simply not agreeing with that perspective rather than being "unwilling" to "understand" it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:37 pm
truth
Perhaps so, but I doubt it. Their consistent level of agression is one reason I doubt it.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:40 pm
JLN and Craven

I agree with your plea for more "philosophy".

Our "position" is such that "debate" or at least the language/logic processes on which such debate is based is a "lower level" aspect of our system.
Such a position is not unique to nondualists. Wittgenstein would not I think have classed himself as such, nor would cyberneticists such as Von Foerster. This is a fundamental issue which is either not grasped or considered to lead to incoherence. But any conventional mathematical formulation in Physics say could be considered to be a "metalanguage" whose internal coherence goes unquestioned. Such formulations are the basis of semi cryptic statements like the celebrated "space tells matter how to move - matter tells space how to curve". The "philosophy" required here could be to investigate whether such ideas are any different in stature from those of non-dualists.

Later edit
E.g. try http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/COHERENC.html (and the link to "epistemology of constuctivism") which I raised on the "non-contradiction thread" with respect to "curved space".
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:59 am
fresco
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 04:23 pm
fresco wrote:
No U-turn implied ! I also agree with Heliotrope. I was merely trying to draw him out, and save myself the job of possible repetition from other threads.

Wow !
I go away for 5 minutes and there's a brawl !
Wink
Just kidding.

Sorry Fresco, I do tend to pop in at fairly random intervals.
I'm trying to find the books on the web as I'm afraid writing out whole passages from my library isn't really an option.
Basically if you want to find out about the nature of reality then you could do a lot worse than read Schrodinger's Kittens, The Elegant Universe and for reference : Q Is For Quantum.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:57 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Craven, I used the phrase, "Believing is seeing" as a general epistemological principle, not in the context of "grasping" the non-dualist position.

I actually hadn't seen you use it and had coined it to describe the fallacious arguments you are proposing. That you say you'd actually said it is telling though.

Actually, I said it.

Craven de Kere wrote:
JL, so when you dismiss everyone who disagrees with you as somehow blind to your enlightened position you are correct to do so.

But when others point out the intellectual bankrupcy of such methods they are childish?

Well JL, it seems that the only way to avoid being childish by your estimation is to see things your way and to discuss things your way.

Anything else is blind and childish.

"Anyone who does not see the emperor's clothes is childish"

This is just more of the same. Rolling Eyes

A fair assessment, Craven.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:44 am
twyvel,

Interesting points on W. James indeed !

In addition, one wonders if Joe is aware that this author appears to have considered "knowledge" to be "relational" rather than "factual", and that he reformulated the concept of "empiricism" to include "experience". An interesting discussion of "experiential" could follow ...but is unlikely.
0 Replies