No Reality Outside Our Own Existence

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:02 pm
Joanne,

I'd not intention of offending you and I'm sorry.

Don't worry, 73 years from now we'll all be able to look back on this and laugh.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:07 pm
Very Happy Razz On this I do agree with you. Really I meant no harm but you just reminded me of me and I thought I could say so.

Does this mean I can talk to you again? I hope so :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:08 pm
Wait 73 years and we'll talk. ;-)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:12 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Easy for you to say in 73 years I will be 129 years old and hopefull not longer on the planet.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:13 pm
Ha! I'll be 76 and laughing my fuzzy butt off.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:14 pm
Yes indeedy you will get the last laugh in this particualr instance.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:32 pm
96 - you just dropped 20 years.

Gettin' forgetful in your old age?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 05:07 pm
73 years? I'm already beginning to chuckle.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 05:25 pm
Time flies when it's fictional.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 09:15 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

Quote:
Since nondualism can be understood on more then one level rejecting it from a purely intellectual understanding may be an indication of influence and attachments to other theories, i.e. dualism then anything else.

Quote:
Or it may simply indicate that nondualism fails on its own terms.

What criteria do you use to evaluate nondualism?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 11:26 pm
What do you mean by evaluate, Twyvel? Frankly I do not evaluate non-dualism, nor do I evaluate dualism. I see limitations and advantages in both, if that's what you mean.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:15 am
twyvel wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Or it may simply indicate that nondualism fails on its own terms.

Read what I wrote: nondualism fails on its own terms.

JLNobody wrote:
What do you mean by evaluate, Joe. Frankly I do not evaluate non-dualism, nor do I evaluate dualism. I see limitations and advantages in both, if that's what you mean.

I didn't use the term "evaluate." That was twyvel's term, not mine. Perhaps you two should get together and decide whether nondualism can be "evaluated" or not.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:18 am
Joe, I realized that it was Twyvel, and I redirected my question to him. It doesn't matter who answers it. But what do YOU mean by "fails on its own terms", self-contradicts?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:23 am
Dude, twyvel's a dudette (I'm pretty sure).
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:56 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Read what I wrote: nondualism fails on its own terms.

Nondualism doesn't fail for all.

It doesn't fail on its own terms, if it fails it fails on your terms joefromchicago. After all it's "your" judgment.

That's why I asked, What criteria, standard, comparative analysis do you use in your considerations of the validity, non-validity of nondualism?
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:58 am
Yes, JLNobody,

An intellectual understanding of nondualism is an evaluation, a comparison, a juxtaposition, is it not?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 12:41 pm
Interesting CDK I was always pretty sure T was a dude, hmm, perhaps T is what ever we want we want in a person.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 01:00 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Joe, I realized that it was Twyvel, and I redirected my question to him. It doesn't matter who answers it. But what do YOU mean by "fails on its own terms", self-contradicts?

I have frequently stated that non-dualism leads to paradoxes and contradictions. But I wouldn't say that non-dualism is, on its own terms, "self-contradictory," since non-dualism, as I understand it, does not accept the law of non-contradiction. Hence, even if it is "self-contradictory," it is so only in a trivial sense (that being the only sense in which non-dualism accepts the basic notion of contradiction).

Instead, non-dualism fails on its own terms because it cannot claim to be "valid" on its own terms. And it cannot claim to be "valid" because it refutes all conceivable bases of valid knowledge.

Knowledge is obtainable through only two known methods: inductive/empirical and deductive/logical. The non-dualists, however, apparently want to add a third: some sort of "insight" or "special understanding." To be fair to non-dualism, then, I will also address this third means of "knowing."

INDUCTIVE/EMPIRICAL: One way of knowing something is through an empirical process grounded in sense perception. If I see something, for example, I can, based upon that empirical evidence, assert that it exists, at least on a provisional basis, and I can either confirm or refute that provisional assertion through other sense perceptions.

Non-dualists, on the other hand, assert that there is no distinction between the subject and the object: thus, all sense perceptions are, in effect, self-perceptions. Such self-perceptions, however, are not susceptible to either confirmation or refutation: one cannot say, for instance, that one's self-perception is either wrong or right, since the only means of verifying such a self-perception is the same self-perception, as perceived by the subject/object. In other words, non-dualist induction becomes a tautology: something "is" because it is.

Now, for the non-dualist, this tautological dead-end is not necessarily fatal (as I will explain below), and it certainly has not deterred any of the true believers. The real problem, however, is that non-dualists want to rely on empirical evidence -- or at least some empirical evidence (such as scientific findings relating to sub-atomic particles). Yet there is no method that can be established, pursuant to the tenets of non-dualism, that can distinguish between that which is empirically valid and that which is not. In other words, there is no basis under which a non-dualist can point to any empirical evidence and say: "that is empirically true non-dualistically." As such, non-dualism cannot rest upon inductive/empirical evidence for its validity.

DEDUCTIVE/LOGICAL: There are two primary ways in which one can "prove" a proposition: either positively (proving that something is) or negatively (proving that the opposite cannot be). The second method relies on deduction/logic for its validity.

Now, the non-dualists want to prove non-dualism, in part, by means of a negative proof: i.e. that dualism is subject to a fatal logical flaw, to wit an infinite regress. As far as I can fathom, however, the non-dualists want to rely on a negative proof without necessarily accepting the logic that underpins that proof. For example, we have learned on this thread that an "infinite regress" is, at best, an instructive device, a tool that "transcends logic/thought/language" (whatever that means). Furthermore, since non-dualists apparently do not accept the validity of the law of non-contradiction, any purported contradiction inherent in dualism is not necessarily incompatible with the validity of non-dualism. In other words, as long as non-dualism rejects traditional logic, it must find some other means of demonstrating that non-dualism excludes dualism.

As such, non-dualism cannot be proved by any deductive method, since non-dualism cannot distinguish between an instructive logical flaw and a fatal logical flaw.

INSIGHT/SPECIAL UNDERSTANDING: We now know that the knowledge of non-dualism is based on some kind of "insight" or "special understanding:" it is twyvel's "blatantly obvious" and fresco's "self-evidence." Under normal circumstances, we'd instantly recognize that this type of knowledge is simply a subset of the two preceding types of knowledge -- but we must take non-dualism on its own terms, and its own terms allow for this third type of knowledge.

There is, however, no method by which non-dualism can establish the validity of this type of knowledge. Indeed, there is no method by which non-dualism can distinguish a valid "insight" from a delusion. If, for example, one's "insight" confirms the truth of non-dualism, by what method are we to determine if someone else's "insight" which refutes non-dualism is false? At this point in the discussion, it seems that the only method of confirmation available to the non-dualist is through determining how closely the "insight" coincides with the accepted tenets of non-dualism. In other words, an insight is valid insofar as it supports non-dualism, and it is invalid insofar as it doesn't.

Of course, one could plainly see that this is a simple case of question-begging: non-dualist "insight" merely proves that which is already assumed. For the non-dualist, however, such minor logical quibbles are of no moment: as explained above, since non-dualism rejects logic, it cannot be said to fall into any kind of logical paradox on its own terms.

Yet the non-dualists who scorn logic when it is contrary to their position cannot embrace it when it supports their position. If "insight" is a valid means of "knowing" non-dualism, it is an equally valid means of "knowing" dualism. Furthermore, we know that non-dualism cannot claim to be "true" because dualism is "false," since such a contention rests, ultimately, upon the validity of the law of non-contradiction, and we've already seen that this law is, at best, a heuristic device in the hands of the non-dualists.

In sum, non-dualism cannot establish its validity on its own terms. At most, it can offer something which is more or less persuasive, but which ultimately rests more on the fervor of its proponents than on the strength of its evidence.

EDIT: removed a redundancy.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 01:09 pm
Very well said Joe. Without such standards the vetting of delusion would not be possible.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 03:20 pm
Joe, I'm off to a movie, so I haven't time to read your post, but I will. I read you last sentence, however, and it inspires me to suggest that non-dualism is no more than the absence of dualism. If that is so, does it affect your argument? I look forward to a respond, if one is merited.
0 Replies