Plants have neurons

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 04:37 pm
I thought this would be an interesting addition to the science forum. Most of us humans don't realize that plants also have capabilities that are common in animal life. I think this topic could teach us a thing or two.

From Wiki.
Quote:
Plant perception (physiology)
This article is about the physiology of perception and response in multicellular plants. For "plant emotion" especially as applies to the work of Cleve Backster, see Plant perception (paranormal).

In botany, plant perception is the ability of plants to sense the environment and adjust their morphology, physiology and phenotype accordingly.[1] Research draws on the fields of plant physiology, ecology and molecular biology. Examples of stimuli which plants perceive and can react to include chemicals, gravity, light, moisture, infections, temperature, oxygen and carbon dioxide concentrations, parasite infestation, physical disruption, and touch. Plants have a variety of means to detect such stimuli and a variety of reaction responses or behaviors.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,153 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 04:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I read a good and long article by Michael Pollan about all this, very interesting. Hugely interesting.
I don't take it though that the scientists working on this call them neurons - close, re plant communication, but not neurons. Or maybe I somehow missed it.. but they seemed pretty clear about not calling them neurons.

Scientists debate a new way of understanding flora.
BY MICHAEL POLLAN
DECEMBER 23, 2013

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/12/23/131223fa_fact_pollan

The article is one of their free ones.
fresco

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Interestingly, this is in line with the work of Maturana, the Chilean biologist/philosopher who defined "cognition" as "the general life process" applicable to all life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberto_Maturana
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:32 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, I'm sure you are correct that it's really not neurons, because plants don't really have nerve cells - but something quite similar. They react to their environment in similar ways - especially for survival.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't want to reread the article at least right now. There is huge communication between plants, well explained there and it is similar in ways but still very different to the human neural system.

It's not Pollan's work, he is reporting the work of many scientists.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:55 pm
@ossobuco,
On my being correct - I'll bet you a beer of choice.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 06:12 pm
@ossobuco,
You're on!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 12:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Moreso than simply reacting to environment evidently Cis there's widespread belief that they have feelings too

https://www.google.ca/#q=religious+plants+can+feel
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 01:28 pm
@dalehileman,
I remember many decades ago about plants to well when they listen to human voices and/or music.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 01:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That article goes into a lot of all this. I learned a lot in those 12 or so pages and won't read it again right now, but will read it again in a few weeks to consolidate my memory of the different aspects scientists are working on and their findings so far.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 01:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, my sister is a vegan, and she'll flip when I share this with her.
Quote:
A number of studies have shown that plants feel pain, and vegetables are picked and often eaten while still alive. Animal rights activists are often in the news, but has anyone ever protested for vegetable rights?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 02:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
..when they listen to human voices and/or music
Yea Cis I seem to remember that very episode
0 Replies