2
   

Need or Want?

 
 
Myopic
 
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 08:49 am
You don't NEED what you lack..

You NEED to act correctly in order to get what you WANT..
 
contrex
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 08:51 am
There is a name for that rhetorical trick...
Myopic
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:00 am
@contrex,
That really was not a question. Smile
contrex
 
  2  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:19 am
@Myopic,
Myopic wrote:

That really was not a question. Smile


I know. What is your point?
0 Replies
 
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:57 am
@Myopic,
A person goes x number of weeks or months without ingesting vitamin c. Technically he needs to consume citrus fruit because of the lack of vitamin c in his diet. If he doesn't consume any product with vitamin c, after a certain time he will likely develop scurvy.

http://img.pandawhale.com/39677-the-Big-Bang-theory-you-got-se-mdOC.gif
Myopic
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:09 am
@tsarstepan,
That's what I elucidated. So it is, he wants to prevent scurvy. So he acts according to what he wants Smile
0 Replies
 
igm
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:43 am
@Myopic,
Myopic wrote:

You don't NEED what you lack..

You NEED to act correctly in order to get what you WANT..


These aren't answers because you haven't asked a question but...

You could NEED to gather crops now because of future lack but have no lack now. Therefore you don't lack crops now but need nevertheless to gather crops. Therefore you can NEED what you don't lack.

It is not impossible to act incorrectly and end up with what you want. Therefore you don't NEED to act correctly in order to get what you WANT..

Myopic
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 10:45 am
@igm,
Your debate has already been answered in my last post. Kindly do refer.
igm
 
  2  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 11:04 am
@Myopic,
Myopic wrote:

Your debate has already been answered in my last post. Kindly do refer.

I'm not convinced... you can explain or not...
tsarstepan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 11:37 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Myopic wrote:

Your debate has already been answered in my last post. Kindly do refer.

I'm not convinced... you can explain or not...

Ditto this.
0 Replies
 
contrex
 
  3  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 12:24 pm
I was referring to the two slightly different meanings of the verb "need", which the OP has conflated.

1. To require absolutely e.g. we all need to breathe, eat, sleep, etc

2. To require in order to achieve some stated goal e.g. to stop the gate squeaking I need to lubricate the hinge.
igm
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 01:23 pm
@contrex,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Want

"Wants are often distinguished from needs. A need is something that is necessary for survival (such as food and shelter), whereas a want is simply something that a person would like to have.[1] Some economists have rejected this distinction and maintain that all of these are simply wants, with varying levels of importance. By this viewpoint, wants and needs can be understood as examples of the overall concept of demand."
0 Replies
 
Myopic
 
  1  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 02:44 pm
@contrex,
That's What I answered you. Need it iself has no existence. It is a by-product of what you want, and for sure, it exactly follows the WANT.

We all need to breathe, eat, sleep.......(you broke off in the mid)

We all need to breathe, eat and sleep because we WANT to live.
igm
 
  2  
Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 04:58 pm
@Myopic,
Myopic wrote:

That's What I answered you. Need it iself has no existence. It is a by-product of what you want, and for sure, it exactly follows the WANT.

We all need to breathe, eat, sleep.......(you broke off in the mid)

We all need to breathe, eat and sleep because we WANT to live.


Philosophically speaking, why do we WANT to live?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Need or Want?
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 08/05/2020 at 01:53:01