NBA Playoffs begin saturday! Who's gonna take it all?

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 08:57 pm
East: Pacers-Celtics | Nets-Knicks | Pistons-Bucks | Heat-Hornets
West: Wolves-Nuggets | Lakers-Rockets | Spurs-Grizzlies | Kings-Mavs

As much as I hope it's competitive, it looks like the West is going to kill whoever gets there in the East again. Do the Pacers have enough firepower to take it all? I'm thinking Sacramento has the inside track this year.

Whatcha think, people?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,699 • Replies: 198
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:16 pm
Well i don't have a clue about the NBA, but if I were to guess, it'd be the Pacers, yeah, Pacers all the way!!!!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:26 am
I also think it could be the Kings this year, but if the Lakers don't implode they ... could ... go ... all ... the ... way!!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:16 am
With the exception of their win in L.A. last weekend, the Kings played terribly to finish out the season. (I grew up just outside of sacto, watching Reggie Theus and Joe Klein lose game after game on the tube, so I take an interest.) Webber's not in game shape, and he plays further out on the floor than Divac or Miller, leaving Stojakovic little room to work -- and giving Webber's man the opportunity to pop out on the screen's and take away some of Peja's shot opportunities. And the defense -- Lord, the defense -- losing to the Suns and the Warriors to finish out the season and drop from the 2 seed to the 4? Inexcusable.

On the other hand, that matches them up with Minnesota in the second round (provided the Kings get through Dallas, who have been playing very well recently), and Minnesota as a unit has very limited playoff experience. Cassell's been through the wars, though, and he's a clutch player.

As much as I hate the Lakers, its pretty much up to them to lose this thing. Consider Phil Jackson's record tarnished if he can't win a ring with these four future hall-of-famers. And you can bet that Payton and Malone are going to be fired up about the post-season.

(A couple of years ago, I went to a Sonics-Jazz playoff game in Seattle, and Payton and Malone had one of the most heated trash-talk fests I've ever seen. End of the game, the Sonics were up and had one last possession -- Payton takes the ball at the top of the 3-point arc, looks straight at Malone, jaws at him, then drills the three as time expires. Stalks toward his locker room just glaring back at Malone. Good stuff.)

San Antonio is San Antonio. Boring, thay have all the pieces, they've been there before. Short of being swept out of the first round, nothing they could do would surprise me.

And don't discount Indiana. Their style is tailor-made for the playoffs. Saw Artest get interviewed on TV the other day -- had a bit prepared about his new shoe, which is covered in cow sh*t. Very funny. The guy ain't right in the head, which is just fine with me. And if nobody really rises to challenge the Pacers in the east, they could be fresh as daisies going into the finals to face whatever beaten and weary team emerges from the west.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:22 am
I liked Jespah's answer. Succinct.

Get it, patiodog?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:23 am
Hey, you try to put all of those words together more succintly.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:28 am
Just messin' with ya', my boy. Paying you back for that comment you made on one of my threads.

You missed the subtle reference, and for that I shall never forgive you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:29 am
I have no idea what you're not talking about.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:30 am
You know, goldfish only remember things for a few seconds.

You know, goldfish only remember things for a few seconds.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:33 am
Perhaps this will refresh your memory, you heartless bastard...

Patiodog strikes
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:36 am
You ever run into somebody from your mutual past over something you had completely forgotten and thought was completely trivial at the time, and now they want to dismember you with a paring knife after binding you with torn sheets and painting your nipples with lye?

Me neither.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:47 am
ok then
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 08:06 am
patiodog wrote:
(A couple of years ago, I went to a Sonics-Jazz playoff game in Seattle, and Payton and Malone had one of the most heated trash-talk fests I've ever seen. End of the game, the Sonics were up and had one last possession -- Payton takes the ball at the top of the 3-point arc, looks straight at Malone, jaws at him, then drills the three as time expires. Stalks toward his locker room just glaring back at Malone. Good stuff.)

I remember seeing that game on TV. I love that kind of ****. Hope there's some of that kind of stuff in the playoffs this year. Maybe Yao and Shaq? Probably not.

Anyway, I also would love to see Minnesota take it. It would be nice to see Latrell get his ring after being totally disrespected by that ineptly managed loser Knicks organization. And Garnett is da man! And Casell? That's a team filled with guys who deserve it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:14 am
Well, Sam's already got two pieces of jewelry. (Or is it just one?)

On Sprewell -- I did find it telling that, though a lot of reporters and league officials condemned his actions, nobody actually came to Carlesimo's defense, or questioned Sprewell's motivations. That guy must be some kind of prick.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:22 am
pacers over the wolves in 7... but i'll be happy if my knicks give the nets a hard time advancing to the 2nd round.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 11:56 am
Region: Yeah, I'll be rooting for the knicks too, although I don't hold out much hope. They really suck. I think they are playing saturday at 4:30 or sometime around then. I'm more attached to the T-Wolves this year, and the Kings. The Spurs . . . how could such a great team be so f*cking boring to watch? It's crazy. They are always a threat though.

Patiodog, yeah, Sammy did get two in Houston, waaaay back when. He's one of the best clutch players I can think of. Should be interesting.

Yeah, I get the feeling that P.J. stands for Perfect Jackass. I don't know, when I hear him speak I just want to strangle him myself for some reason.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:02 pm
I'm going to be in South Carolina in mid to late May. I damn well better have access to the playoffs.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:08 pm
I know what you mean. The NBA playoffs is almost like a religious season to me. I don't know how I got so crazy over it, but I have to arrange my whole life around it for the next couple months.

Worship at the altar, people!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:11 pm
It's a family religion 'round our house. A few years back -- the first the Kings had made the playoffs in I don't know how long, I managed to get the gf to flip the TV away from tennis (some clay-court lead-up to the French Open or something), and turned her on to basketball something fierce. She cried when Webber went down last year.

It's a little creepy, actually. But at least I'll have an ally in SC. Don't suppose the b-ball will be a fixture on the bar TVs down there, though.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:21 pm
Maybe I could get myself adopted into your family? Smile
0 Replies