Low Voltage problem!

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:30 am
Hi
I live in the country side and recently because of the rise in the electricity demand specially in winter there is a huge drop in voltage. it is normally 180 V instead of 220. and sometimes in the peak time it goes down to 140 V.
I've searched for a solution and found that a stabilizer or a ups can be helpful.
My question is that can this low voltage damage my TV or computer that has a universal power input (110~220)? and do I need a stabilizer for them, or they can handle this? what if at a point it drops lower than 110 V?
its a 280w plasma tv and a 300w ps3 system
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,204 • Replies: 3
No top replies

bahtah

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 01:43 am
@mazymoozy,
You need to contact your utility company, they are required to deliver power within certain standards by law. The utility should be willing to come out and record the voltage levels and then install equipment that can adjust the levels as needed on the distribution system that supplied your home. If they refuse, call your public utility commission. Yes low voltage can harm all your electronics and if it has, you would have a claim against the utility for damages.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:51 pm
@mazymoozy,
Quote:
In the US, lighting and low-power appliances run at 120 volts plus or minus 10%
https://www.google.ca/#q=home+electrical+appliance+usual+tolerance+plus+or+minus
0 Replies

bahtah

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 05:44 pm
@mazymoozy,
Your service voltage drop is between 25 and 42 percent. the National Standard for service voltage is -5% to +5%. Your service is 240V not 220V and should be running between 228 and 252 volts. For Utilization equipment the standard is -13% to +6% and for motors is -10% to +10%. The utility has voltage-regulators that can be installed on the primary distribution system to adjust automatically as system conditions change.
0 Replies