Intermittant power

Brinos

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:30 am
Last night I had an outlet and light switch without power (both on same circuit). No breaker tripped. This morning both the light switch and outlet work. Any idea what could be going on here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 842 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:56 am
@Brinos,
What makes you say there was no power in the outlet? Did you use a voltmeter to verify?

What I'd think of off the top of my head is a loose or intermittently bad ground inside the outlet.

Also, I'd try that lamp in another outlet and see how it works there.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 03:35 pm
@Brinos,
As Rag says, Bri, it sounds like a loose connection. A loose ground is especially risky because voltage can be present on a fixture apparently off
BlackRussian

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 08:43 pm
@dalehileman,
It certainly does sound like a loose connection, but it won't be the ground. Test the outlet that isn't working from the neutral to ground using an ohmmeter to see if there is continuity (multi-meters have this function). If there is continuity, then your power wire (the black) has a bad connection. If there is no continuity, then your the neutral (white) wire has a bad connection. First check the connections at the device boxes that aren't working, and if everything appears good, then check the device (switch and outlet) boxes of working devices where they may get power from. It's always a safe idea to power down branch circuits BEFORE removing the devices to inspect them. The test above assumes you have a connected and working ground wire.
0 Replies