Warning XP updating lock ups

BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 07:26 am
Bug in Microsoft updating software is causing XP machines that try to update to locked up for prolong periods[tens of minutes, hours or days] with cpu cycles going to 99 percents.

You will need to disable the auto updating including the checking for updates by way of the control panel and if it is already locked up you will need to reboot in safe mode and under the run command type this cmd then hit enter. Then type the following net stop "Automatic Updates" hitting enter.

Then reboot the computer normally.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,049 • Replies: 8
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 07:56 am
@BillRM,
Thanks
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:13 am
@BillRM,
Or you can just take you XP out to the back and shoot it with a shotgun. If you have any children in your household if they ask where's the computer you can tell them you took it to a farm in the country where it spends its days playing Farmville.

BTW:
I hope that update glitch doesn't effect XP professional level machines as most if not all of the computers here at the firm I work at are XP machines. Confused
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
BTW:
I hope that update glitch doesn't effect XP professional level machines as most if not all of the computers here at the firm I work at are XP machines. Confused

Good luck unless your IT department is doing the patching/updating as a group.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 12:48 pm
@BillRM,
I don't touch that stuff at work.
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I don't touch that stuff at work.

If you are working for a firm with an IT department they are the ones likely to be doing the updating and you should see no problem.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:14 pm
@BillRM,
I know that. I'm just lamenting the fact that we still have XP machines. Sluggish and glitchy to boot.
BillRM

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 02:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
A nice simple stable OS that like a DC-3 or a modal 1911 A colt 45 just keep doing what you need it to do with little overhead.

Take note the customers base seems to feel the same way as to this day it is the second most common computer OS in the US only being behind Window 7.

The next OS for me will be either a version of linux or perhaps ReactOS an open source clone version of XP.

Quote:
ReactOS® is a free open source operating system based on the best design principles found in the Windows NT® architecture (Windows versions such as Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012 are built on Windows NT architecture). Written completely from scratch, ReactOS is not a Linux based system, and shares none of the UNIX architecture.

The main goal of the ReactOS® project is to provide an operating system which is binary compatible with Windows. This will allow your Windows® applications and drivers to run as they would on your Windows system. Additionally, the look and feel of the Windows operating system is used, such that people accustomed to the familiar user interface of Windows® would find using ReactOS straightforward. The ultimate goal of ReactOS® is to allow you to use it as alternative to Windows® without the need to change software you are used to.

ReactOS 0.3.15 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 04:38 am
Just got my desk top to update by letting it work all night at the job and just put one of my netbook under a fan to try to do the same with it.

Netbooks by their very nature heat up like a mother if run at 100 percent for any length of time so the fan should stop it from turning into non-working junk during the hours of working at 100 percent CPU cycles.
0 Replies