Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:54 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Btw, Glitterbag may be grateful for France's actions in America, but we've got nothing to be grateful for over here. The Norman Conquest brought nothing but servitude, misery and death.

Which conquest hasn't?

How many natives died as a result of America's colonization? Several millions. Does that mean Americans today should not value their English cultural heritage?

Julius Caesar's invasion of Gaul resulted in the death of some 2 ml deaths, by some estimates... Should we spit on Italians?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 09:06 am
@Olivier5,
America's a bad example, it's not made up primarily of Native Americans but those of European descent.

Anyway I'm not the one telling Americans they should be proud of their English heritage. You're the one telling us we should be proud of our French heritage.

As for Italians I've never heard any of them banging on about Julius Caesar, and expecting us to doff our collective caps.

You're the one who expects to be treated like some visiting dignitary just because you're French, and you then start screaming prejudice because we won't treat you like that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 09:09 am
@izzythepush,
Britanny had had the same fate as Britain, but a year earlier

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpse46fb716.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 10:43 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You're the one who expects to be treated like some visiting dignitary just because you're French, and you then start screaming prejudice because we won't treat you like that.

That's pure invention based on stereotypes. I never asked anything from you. Bang up your xenophobia all you want. I'm gona note it when it happens, and will use it against you of course. Not that I feel personally offended, but as a matter of principle and good board tactics.

Quote:
Anyway I'm not the one telling Americans they should be proud of their English heritage. You're the one telling us we should be proud of our French heritage.

If you want to remain 'ambivalent' about it, that's your call. I'm sure they are quite a few Americans or Canadians who feel equally ambivalent about their English heritage. It is their right, even if it is not very constructive IMO. In your case, I just find it sad, immature and downright absurd that you'd keep a grudge a thousand years after Hasting... but it's your right.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 11:02 am
@Olivier5,
Stop acting the victim, your definition of xenophobia is someone who is not a raving Francophile.

Ollie wrote:
I'm sure they are quite a few Americans or Canadians who feel equally ambivalent about their English heritage. It is their right, even if it is not very constructive IMO.

Why is it not constructive? They can feel how they want. It's not my place to tell someone from a foreign country how they should feel about any English heritage they may or may not have. You're the one telling other countries how they should be feeling.

France, like Britain, stopped being a superpower a long time ago. You need to accept that and move on, instead of moaning about how little respect you get.

If Americans want to respect their English heritage all well and good, but they're going to do it because people like me tell them to. In any event I'm not bothered either way, I don't live in America.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 11:17 am
@izzythepush,
YOU are a victim of your own stereotypes, not I...

Okay, you convinced me. I withdraw my advice. Whatever you do with whatever heritage you have should be no concern of mine. If farting at it is what gets you through the day, fart away.
Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 11:27 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Now Walter has singularly confounded that stereotype with every one of his posts. He is learned, humanitarian, warm, friendly and extremely good humoured. People don't gang up on him.

Pre-WWI Germans just had a different stereotype. Not belligerent internationally, but rarely wrong; lots of data to back up one's position; proud of ancestors and culture; and, a feeling of superiority that was projected onto German Jews, in my opinion. I don't know if Walter fits any of these. I really do not know Walter. Anyway, I only relate to native English speakers to any degree, since one needs to be culturally similar to understand each other, not just speak the same language, in my opinion.

But, just because one does not fit a pejorative stereotype doesn't mean one should like a person. We can be discriminating in who we like or not like. I sort of not like you, but you have no pejorative stereotypes. See?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 11:48 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Anyway, I only relate to native English speakers to any degree, since one needs to be culturally similar to understand each other, not just speak the same language, in my opinion.
Could you explain that a bit?
I'm not a native English speaker, but come from the Saxon culture.

(The English Christmas to very similar to ours - they adopted it.
The American Santa Claus is a mixture of our St. Nicolas [person]and the Lutheran Christ child [presents/day].)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 02:38 pm
@Olivier5,
I never would have thought you'd battle so valiantly, but I'm sorry to say you've confirmed just about every French stereotype there is bar one. You should like this one.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:02 pm
@Foofie,
I've always thought you were a ******* idiot Fluff, nothing to do with stereotypes, everything to do with you being a ******* idiot.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Jeeesus! Your bag of anti-froggist videos is as bottomless as Santa's backpack... You guys DO have an issue with us, very clearly! I say "guys" because your women do tend to like us. :-) Maybe that's what it's all about...?

I just can't think of one single French show or film that pokes fun at the Brits or at any other nation apart from our own. The French can joke about the French better than anybody else. See for instance:

Now, imagine a French comedy show where all the Englishmen are closet homosexuals and the English women have two meter long teeth... Who in France would like to watch such a crude and rude show? No one, I wish to think. And in any case, we don't care enough about you guys... It's not like we have all this baggage you seem to have about us. You are positively OBSESSED about the French, judging from these vids.

So, I'm glad to report you fulfill every single stereotype attributed to the Brits, including xenophobia, hooliganism, vulgarity, insecurity is the sex department (with that latter video), and an intractable inferiority-cum-superiority complex vis-a-vis continental Europe.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:50 pm
@Olivier5,
In the same movie (Lost in Rio with jean Dujardin), and since we're talking about German stereotypes, here is a parody of Shylock's monologue, said by a Nazi. So the Nazi villain says stuff like: "doesn't the Nazi have eyes?" "Doesn't the Nazi have hands", etc... A bit risque, but this sort of things make the French laugh more than a series of farts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2uG2dUMb_U
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:58 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Jeeesus! Your bag of anti-froggist videos is as bottomless as Santa's backpack... You guys DO have an issue with us, very clearly! I say "guys" because your women do tend to like us. :-)

That was the joke, clearly you didn't get it.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Even so.. Then it's a joke about a deep-rooted issue you people have with us.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You are positively OBSESSED about the French, judging from these vids.

I'm not the one going on a French language website telling the French speakers that they should appreciate the British influence more.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:08 pm
@izzythepush,
No but you are posting dozens of vids about the French. How come all these vids even EXIST in the first place, for you to post them? What sort of need to they cater for? That's what I am asking, because again, there's no similar phenomenon on our side of the Chanel.

Do Americans have many comedies centred on the Canadians or on the Mexicans?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:12 pm
@Olivier5,
We take the piss out of everyone. Mostly ourselves.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:15 pm
@izzythepush,
We don't have any comedies centred around the French. Sometimes a Frenchman plays a bit part in one, but that's it. We've got a lot of comedies, we're very good at comedy. After watching that chuckling geezer in the car, I'd stick to cinema verite.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:28 pm
@izzythepush,
That's because you didn't get the jokes...
Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Anyway, I only relate to native English speakers to any degree, since one needs to be culturally similar to understand each other, not just speak the same language, in my opinion.
Could you explain that a bit?
I'm not a native English speaker, but come from the Saxon culture.

(The English Christmas to very similar to ours - they adopted it.
The American Santa Claus is a mixture of our St. Nicolas [person]and the Lutheran Christ child [presents/day].)

There is a "Germanic" way of looking at society - winners and losers. My opinion, or at least the image that has been promulgated. The concept of "win-win" is not known to be Germanic, in my opinion. But, then again, Germany has the same dichotomy as the U.S., even more so (aka, half Catholic, half Protestant). This can lead to a national character that wrestles with its own feelings, in my opinion.