Fluctuation of power from one side of elec box apposed to the other side

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 06:18 pm
question: find out a cure for my electrical delema.

We keep getting electical bulbs dimming for a long time and then go very bright.

We have checked both sides of the breaker box with a voltage meter. Some of the time both sides read 120 volts, but at other times we may have 70 volts read on one side and the other is over 150 volts.

An additonal problem is when we try to run a skill saw we have very minimal power.

I don't understand how we can have more than 120 volts on one side an only 70 on the other side.

Our source is a 100 amp breaker box

Let me know if you find anything out.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 860 • Replies: 2
No top replies

bahtah

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 08:58 pm
@dwynwhit,
From what you describe you have a bad neutral supplying you panel. This could be anywhere from the utility source to your panel. If your utility meter is at your panel you should contact the utility to check behind the meter and the connections at their service terminations. The unbalanced voltage comes from the neutral being open somewhere and causing your 120V loads to be in series across the 240V supply. This can cause major damage to TV's etc. You need to get this checked out ASAP!
dwynwhit

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 07:16 am
@bahtah,
Thank you to all who have replied. I will check out the neutral and call the utility company.
0 Replies