Could it be true? Is the church is becoming more empathic?

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2013 05:39 pm
As the title reads, "Could it be true? Is the church is becoming more empathic?"

What do you think about what the pope said about capitalism?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 3,389 • Replies: 27
No top replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 06:43 am
@reasoning logic,
That's inconclusive, it's just 1 person are more empathic than the other popes before him.
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 04:22 pm
@HexHammer,
It may be only one person but that may be all it takes to move the church when the person is the pope.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 04:52 pm
As long as catholics stupidly pray to Mary instead of Jesus, I don't give a rat's ass about them..Smile
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 04:56 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
So do you think there is a big difference ? I rather pray to a rock... Laughing
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 06:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
Yes, the Church follows it's leader, (for the most part). The emphasis upon charity and tolerance sets a tone that resonates around the world.
Capitalism is the most accepted form of economics, but when held to an absolute, it can be as unworkable as communism. The Pope decried "trickle down economics", and said, in effect, the haves must share more with the have-nots. How, was not addressed.
The Pope has no problem with people becoming affluent, but he does take exception to those who have more money than they can possibly need, yet demand more, much more. The Church well knows that it takes great money to do great things. The Pope applauds philanthropy, and points to organizations like the Gates Foundation as examples of what private citizens can do.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 06:48 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Church acts schizophrenic between acting and speeches...Church it is just another corporation doing the same thing, but I do not fault them for that. Poor churches would be empty churches...opulence is praised by common people...the error of Capitalism is not in capitalists as they have no control on the grinding machine itself but in the value people put in their life styles as a whole who makes them culturally feel entitled to aspire be who they are...segregation against Capitalism must start in society itself, but to get there we will need an increase in average IQ of more 20 points at least. Capitalists act according with the common credo efficiency can be perfectly measured with money as the only kind of coin going around...another problem in the equation of being "efficient" in a company is the linear reasoning in economical structuring itself...short term quantifying gains at cost of destroying the back bone of productive society in middle class is a perfect example of human stupidity at its best.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 06:58 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
The catholic church pays no tax and would be the riches organisation in the world... pity they didn't do as their cheesy Jesusy supposedly asked his followers to do....
Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:32 pm
@tenderfoot,
Oh, but they most certainly did follow Jesus' charge. The Church of St. Peter spread Christianity to every corner of the globe. And yes, there were many major inequities made in the name of the Son of God, but by the Grace of the Holy Spirit, that charge was, and is followed to this very day.
It's not enough to say Catholicism is the largest Christian sect, twice as large as all Protestant sects combined; note that up until the Reformation, it was the Church of most all Christianity.
Today, over one third of the entire world is Christian. Why you take exception, that it is led by possibly the 'richest organization in the world', is curious.

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 07:23 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
I am not one to take sides being I am an atheist or agnostic but I do have to admit that much of what I have learned came from a catholic.

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 11:11 pm
@reasoning logic,
I think you should reconsider how knowledgeable you are regarding the Catholic Church based on information you think you got from one lone Catholic. It's very possible you lack the basic knowledge of the worlds major religions and have no way of digesting whatever it was this Catholic told you. Being a Catholic does not automatically make you a Catholic scholar.

Anecdotal information, is just that, Anecdotal. I am a strong believer in freedom of religion, but sometimes it is jaw droppingly offensive reading an outsider managling Catholocism and using an unidentified Catholic person as their source.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 09:24 am
@reasoning logic,

As a Roman Catholic, I can attest that it is the most convoluted religion I've encountered - by far!
It is like an onion - there are over two millenia of teachings to go through before you get to fully understand how we got to where we are today.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 12:33 pm
Mary was no doubt a nice gal, but it makes no sense for catholics to pray to her; and Jesus certainly never said to pray to his mum.
And she wasn't much help to poor Fredo-

Jack of Hearts

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:40 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,

Fredo was not forsaken by Mary; she gave him solace, and strength; purpose and an opportunity for repentance and inner peace.

Mary, Mother of the Word Incarnate, who was assumed, body and soul, into Heaven, is most certainly deserving of directed prayer. If only to be recognized, for her unique and singularly special relationship with God. To speak to her in humility, with reverence and praise, in petitioning for intercession, and thanking her for the miraculous things she has done, makes sense to many.

John 21:25
But there are also many other things which Jesus did which, if they were written every one, the world itself. I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 10:59 am
Quote:
Jack said: Mary, Mother of the Word Incarnate, who was assumed, body and soul, into Heaven, is most certainly deserving of directed prayer

But NOWHERE does Jesus say to pray to his mum!
On the contrary, he said- "Ask anything in my name and I'll do it" (John 14:14)
Alternatively he said we can pray directly to God. When people asked him how to pray, he replied "Our Father which art in heaven..."
See, no mention anywhere of praying to Mary or any other humans!
I bet Satan is chuckling at fooling catholics into wasting their prayers on Mary..Wink
Jack of Hearts

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 03:42 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,

You quote and base your argument upon a Book written by the Holy Roman Catholic Church, while they were establishing devotions to honor Mary, calling her the Blessed Virgin. It laughable that you hold that 'if it doesn't show it, He didn't say it.' He didn't have a need to give affirmation for what he knew would certainly follow.

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 10:42 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
I mean, praying to Jesus's mum is as crazy as if muslims were to pray to Mohammeds mum, or Buddhists to Buddhas mum..Smile
Jack of Hearts

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:54 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,

You equate the Son of God to prophets, and philosophers. Being of the same flesh and blood - giving birth to the Son of God, has no equal; no one can be any closer to God Himself.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 06:00 pm
Quote:
Jack said: @RF- You equate the Son of God to prophets, and philosophers. Being of the same flesh and blood - giving birth to the Son of God, has no equal; no one can be any closer to God Himself.

What, you're saying Mary is closer to God than Jesus?
Tell us who saves, Jesus or Mary?
Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 02:53 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,

Jesus IS God, one with the Trinity, and Mary is the Mother of Jesus.
Belittle the Mother of Jesus at your own peril. Jesus saves, and honors his Mother by His Father's specific command.
Prayers to Mary for her intercession are heard, and will be honored as she deems.

0 Replies