I'm talking about a diet on wine

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 01:07 am
Many people enjoy wine whether just for social drinking, with food, or at wine tasting.

Do you enjoy white or red wine?

What is your favorite wine? What kind of aroma do you smell from the wine you enjoy drinking. What flavors do you taste from your favorite wine?

I prefer red wines; primarily cabernet sauvignon, merlot, or shiraz. I like the aroma of the black cherry, blackberry and black currant of cab, with strong bodied fruit flavors when drunk. I've also tasted cabernet sauvignon-merlots which tends to soften the heavy bodied cab a bit. I can also drink white wine including chardonnays and rieslings, but not that often.

Your favorites?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,389 • Replies: 5
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 06:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
White wine wise I can't go past a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc - although Petersen's do a killer Hunter semillon. A quality vinho verde from Portugal is a thing of beauty on a hot day too, or an Italian Greco di Tufo DOCG.

As far as reds go Cab Sav, Shiraz and Pinot Noir all have their attractions. A good Spanish Tempranillo, a good pinot noir from burgundy (mmm, cherries) are also a pleasure.

My favourite red was a Seppelt Dorrien Cabernet Sauvignon that I picked up from Seppelts cellar door in the Barossa (fantastic driveway) back in 2003 - they had it on tasting because apparently a VIP had been just before me that they wanted to impress. First time (only?) time I ever spent $75 on a bottle of wine - and felt like it was a bargain. Amazing fruity complexity with hints of chocolate and mint - never had anything like it before or since.

Seppelts 2km long palm lined driveway
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fySUlTKhlZs/TEezu1aH3sI/AAAAAAAAEF8/n4ojF1QpYN8/s1600/IMG_3096.JPG

PS did a wine appreciation course in the mid 1990s - loved doing blind tastings. All that wanky talk about saddle leather, cigar boxes and crushed ants all made sense - it's not the wines taste like that, it's that the flavours trigger sensations on your palate that echo those things.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 10:51 am
@hingehead,
I was introduced to Port wine while on a cruise-tour of Portugal in March, and got to love it - all with their higher alcohol content. The great-great grandson of George Sandeman was on our ship for the time the boat was in northern Portugal, and he provided us with some lectures and tastings - some were those expensive ones! My friend and I also visited Taylors and Kopke's for tastings, and we both raved about them.

When I visited Adelaide a couple of years ago, I got three other people to come with me on a wine tasting to the Barossa wine country, but we had Shiraz that I really enjoyed. One of the wineries served us a $100/bottle Shiraz that was complex and full flavored with mulberries and blackberries.

I like wines from Italy (red and white), Argentina, Chile, Spain, and of coarse Napa Valley. The price range can be reasonable for some good wines.
hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 06:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We did the Douro in 2012 - a local told us which were the best port houses - I think we did five - I remember Grahams, i think that was the only big one - the rest were boutique places along the south shore of the Douro.

Interesting that port is was a recent experience for you. Australia has had a long love affair with the style - Seppelts Para port being the supposed pinnacle:
wikipedia wrote:
In 1878, to celebrate the completion of the cellar, Benno selected a puncheon (500 litre barrel) of his finest wine and declared that the barrel would be allowed to mature for 100 years. Thus was the idea of the "Seppelt Para 100 year old Tawny Port" born. Every year since 1878, the winery has set aside more of its finest wine for 100 years of barrel maturation. In 1978, the first bottles (750ml) of the 100 year old wine were released. The Seppelt Para 100 year old Tawny Port, then the Seppelt Para 100 year old Tawny, and now the Seppeltsfield Para 100 year old Tawny, has become the signature wine for the Seppelt, and subsequently Seppeltsfield, brand. Seppeltsfield is the only winery to have notable amounts of wine set aside in consecutive vintages for over 100 years, and nowhere else in the world does a winery annually release a commercially available wine a century old. In 2009, the wine was priced at $1,000 per half bottle (375ml). Originally released in 750ml bottles and 375ml half bottles, the wine is now available "in 375ml and 100ml formats".

I was also very happy to finally understand the distinction between a tawny and a ruby port. Even on holidays inquiring minds must know!
0 Replies

stevem13

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 01:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
My favourites are Shiraz, Merlot. Port Wine is an all time favourite. I like the fruity aroma and sweeetness in my red wines
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 02:12 am
@stevem13,
Me too, but my fave is Cabernet Sauvignon with a close 2d being Port.
0 Replies