Should I Play Baseball?

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 08:21 pm
I am interested in playing baseball as a freshman. I haven't any experience with baseball other than here and there hitting a ball with a bat. What I want to know is could baseball be a sport for me? Also, considering I have hardly any experience would it be a difficult sport?

Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 12:59 am
@shephjam002,
assuming you are talking high school, maybe...

in the city where I went to school, decades ago, all of the guys that made the team (there were tryouts) had played organized ball for years prior.

I was the only one that made the team without having played beyond grade school leagues. and I was a standout grade school player.

if your school is small enough that warm bodies are necessary, or if you have a unique natural skillset, maybe your experience will be different.

baseball is more complicated that it can appear.

good luck if you choose to pursue it...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 10:28 am
@shephjam002,
It depends on your high school, how large it is, how competitive it is and also how many teams your high school has - ie varisty, jr. varisty, freshman team? If you have a freshman team then you are likely to make the team. However, if there is only jr. varisty and varisty, and you have a larger school it is less likely.

Some sports are easier to get involved in if you are purely athletic. Someone very athletic may have a harder time getting the strategy of baseball as there is alot of planning and thought. Ok if there is a man on first base, no outs what play do you make if the ball comes to you...things like that. Have you at least played for fun?

You said you have hit a ball - have you hit with fast pitching, different types of pitches? You could start out practicing batting - go to a batting cage. One thing I've heard is if you can hit, they will find a place for you.
0 Replies

victorleo

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2014 03:37 am
@shephjam002,
At the initial level, it is recommended to practice in the cage with a pitcher machine. It will help you a lot if you want to become a good hitter. You can change the speed of the ball from 10mph up to 60mph. This will boost your confidence.
0 Replies

Jackie1993

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2014 12:04 pm
May initially be difficult, but if you like it, the difficulty will not be as big an obstacle.
Just do it =)
0 Replies