ethanol and the environment

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 05:27 am
http://www.ldjackson.net/ethanol-hurt-environment/

Quote:
.....The consequences are so severe that environmentalists and many scientists have now rejected corn-based ethanol as bad environmental policy. But the Obama administration stands by it, highlighting its benefits to the farming industry rather than any negative impact......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 911 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

gungasnake

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 05:29 am
I'd be willing to join a nationwide boycott of all corn products over this **** if anybody knew how to organize one.
farmerman

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 05:40 am
@gungasnake,
Around here and in Delaware, one can find gas stations that sell ethanol free gas. My little hybrid, which is a 4 cyl engine, develops better power and gas mieage when I use "conventional gas"

These guys need special permits to sell it due to govt regs. I do not know why Obama's being so damned bullheaded on this. Its a throwback to Bush II yet now Obama owns this dumb idea.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 03:27 pm
I still wonder how much CO2 is produced in the fermentation process needed to get a fuel that doesn't produce as much CO2 as gasoline.
farmerman

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 03:49 pm
@roger,
excellent point.
0 Replies

raprap

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 03:54 pm
Corn Based ethanol is less than a zero sum game when you add fertilizer, fuel for cultivation, harvesting, transportation and processing.

One has to recognize that when it was proposed during the early 2000's it was a political ploy to deliver the corn belt stated to Bush in 2004 and the GOP in the 2006 election. Considering that was its main purpose, it succeeded.

I am a more than little disappointed that Obama did not and has not suspended this program, but to lay the complete complete blame on something that was the brainchild of the Texas Idiot and his evil handler is misguided.

Rap
0 Replies