Scientific explanations for creation

neologist

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
. . . . Why would your god need a world-wide flood--he could have just exercised his extra-supernatural powers and zapped all of the iniquitous without making a 600 year-old geezer (or 599 years old, depending on which part of Genesis one reads) and his geezer wife and geezer sons and daughters-in-law construct a ship which would have foundered in a horse pond. What was the purpose of the flood? To give the victims horrible regrets as they drowned? Your god is one cruel son of a bitch.
For that matter, why would he not have zapped Adam and Eve and the Serpent straight off and started over? Or why has the human race been subject to 6000 +/- years of misery? The questions have answers for those who are willing to search.
neologist

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:17 pm
@Setanta,
It would only be necessary for the sun/earth to have appeared to stand still.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:38 pm
@neologist,
And what would have caused that appearance? Mass delusion? If we're talking religious nutbags, i could buy that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:39 pm
By the way, religious nutbags have been arguing for centuries, right up into our own lifetimes, that a day was "lost," attempting to claim that the story in Joshua is literally true.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:39 pm
@neologist,
You mean for those who are willing to delude themselves.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 04:44 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
. . . without a particle of evidence to suggest that any of it is true."
neologist wrote:
If you expect epistemological certainty, it ain't gonna happen.
Brandon9000 wrote:
I expect some evidence of some kind, or else why would I believe a claim that something is true? We are dealing with two theories of the nature of the universe. If you're not going to accept the physics explanation because you argue that some little bit of the centuries of physics isn't solid, then, by the same standard, you would throw the Bible out the window, since there isn't a trace of evidence that any of it is so.
Where did you get the idea that the Bible claims to be a "theory of the nature of the universe"? The Bible was not written as a scientific treatise. But, as has been pointed out a few times in recent posts, where the Bible makes statements that touch on the scientific, it has not been misleading:

But the Bible does claim that an omnipotent being exists who created the universe and created Man, does it not? This is certainly an assertion of specific facts regarding the nature of the universe. What is your evidence that these things are true?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 09:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
By the way, religious nutbags have been arguing for centuries, right up into our own lifetimes, that a day was "lost," attempting to claim that the story in Joshua is literally true.
Not my claim. Though I believe the account.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 09:41 pm
@Setanta,
But Velikovsky said it was true, because Venus collided with the Earth that day. This made the Earth stall, or something. He said the two atmospheres were a cushion that prevented true catastrophe. Drunk
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 12:04 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You mean for those who are willing to delude themselves.
Self delusion.
Rationalization.
Confirmation bias.
Credulity.
All terms sharing a similar error. Whatever you may call it, it is an almost universal human trait. It affects those who believe as well as those who do not believe, regardless of any underlying truth.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 12:28 am
@neologist,
And again:
neologist wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
. . . without a particle of evidence to suggest that any of it is true."
neologist wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I expect some evidence of some kind, or else why would I believe a claim that something is true? We are dealing with two theories of the nature of the universe. If you're not going to accept the physics explanation because you argue that some little bit of the centuries of physics isn't solid, then, by the same standard, you would throw the Bible out the window, since there isn't a trace of evidence that any of it is so.
Where did you get the idea that the Bible claims to be a "theory of the nature of the universe"? The Bible was not written as a scientific treatise. But, as has been pointed out a few times in recent posts, where the Bible makes statements that touch on the scientific, it has not been misleading:

But the Bible does claim that an omnipotent being exists who created the universe and created Man, does it not? This is certainly an assertion of specific facts regarding the nature of the universe. What is your evidence that these things are true?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 02:53 am
@neologist,
Belief and the refusal to believe are not two sides of the same coin. Credulity motivates one, while skepticism motivates the other. It is one of the more pathetic and transparent rhetorical tricks of the god botherers to attempt to suggest that those who don't believe the magic sky daddy crapola are somehow an equivalent set of believers. They are not. They are defined by what they do not believe, and they are only defined that way because the believers rant about it.
parados

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 09:39 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Nah guys, I ain't buying whatever you're selling!
For an atom to be created there must have been ingredients floating around in the first place to make it, which brings us back to square one and I can ask- "Where did the ingredients come from?"
Shakespeare's King Lear sums up the flaw in your argument- "Nothing can come from nothing"..Smile

Which leads us to the inevitable question of who created God? Until you can answer that question your God is defeated by your own argument.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 09:39 am
@Setanta,
Are you saying your skepticism is not accompanied by some underlying beliefs or assumptions? Perhaps that is true in your case. But I contend there are many unbelievers who profess disbelief only to join the bandwagon.
Setanta

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 11:33 am
@neologist,
Just as there are many religious nutbags who just "want to belong."
neologist

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 03:38 pm
@Setanta,
A point of agreement, sir.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 04:09 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

neologist wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
... without a particle of evidence to suggest that any of it is true."
neologist wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I guess this post brought things to the point that further obfuscation wasn't possible, since I have posted this response two previous times and received no answer. The solution then becomes to pretend that I never asked the question, and, after a decent interval, begin repeating the same flawed logic that I herein challenged.
neologist

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 05:02 pm
@Brandon9000,
You are asking for epistemological certainty and have already rejected my circumstantial and anecdotal offerings. If prosecutors were held to your standards, we could empty the jails and save the taxpayers a bundle
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:27 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You are asking for epistemological certainty and have already rejected my circumstantial and anecdotal offerings. If prosecutors were held to your standards, we could empty the jails and save the taxpayers a bundle

No, I am not asking for certainty. I never asked for anything of the kind. I'm only asking for some evidence.

Rational people don't believe things if there's no evidence that they're true. The Bible asserts that a being exists, which one might call God, who created the universe and guides or interacts with mankind. That is a very specific claim about the universe. Give me some evidence that it's true. Some religious people have no trouble telling people who believe in science, "I think step 47 is a little shaky, therefore science is wrong about creation or evolution." Okay, I'm not holding you to anything like that standard. Give me some evidence that this major tenet of the Bible is true, that a being exists who created the universe and guides or interacts with mankind. Give me any evidence at all.
neologist

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 05:51 pm
@Brandon9000,
Here is what Isaiah and Jeremiah said about the fate of Babylon:
Quote:
(Isaiah 13:19-22) . . . And Babylon, the decoration of kingdoms, the beauty of the pride of the Chal·de′ans, must become as when God overthrew Sod′om and Go·mor′rah. 20 She will never be inhabited, nor will she reside for generation after generation. And there the Arab will not pitch his tent, and no shepherds will let [their flocks] lie down there. 21 And there the haunters of waterless regions will certainly lie down, and their houses must be filled with eagle owls. And there the ostriches must reside, and goat-shaped demons themselves will go skipping about there. 22 And jackals must howl in her dwelling towers, and the big snake will be in the palaces of exquisite delight. And the season for her is near to come, and her days themselves will not be postponed.”
Quote:
(Jeremiah 51:37) . . . And Babylon must become piles of stones, the lair of jackals, an object of astonishment and something to whistle at, without an inhabitant.
Given the importance of Babylon as a city, these would seem unlikely predictions and some may aver the prophecy to have been written only after the city's desolation. However, over 700 years later, the city and a settlement of Jews remained, giving the apostle Peter reason to visit Babylon, as noted in his letter. (1Peter 5:13) The temple of Bel existed as late as 75 C.E. About the fourth century C.E. the city appears to finally have passed out of existence, making it quite unlikely that the prophecy could have been written after the fact.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 06:51 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Here is what Isaiah and Jeremiah said about the fate of Babylon:
Quote:
(Isaiah 13:19-22) . . . And Babylon, the decoration of kingdoms, the beauty of the pride of the Chal·de′ans, must become as when God overthrew Sod′om and Go·mor′rah. 20 She will never be inhabited, nor will she reside for generation after generation. And there the Arab will not pitch his tent, and no shepherds will let [their flocks] lie down there. 21 And there the haunters of waterless regions will certainly lie down, and their houses must be filled with eagle owls. And there the ostriches must reside, and goat-shaped demons themselves will go skipping about there. 22 And jackals must howl in her dwelling towers, and the big snake will be in the palaces of exquisite delight. And the season for her is near to come, and her days themselves will not be postponed.”
Quote:
(Jeremiah 51:37) . . . And Babylon must become piles of stones, the lair of jackals, an object of astonishment and something to whistle at, without an inhabitant.
Given the importance of Babylon as a city, these would seem unlikely predictions and some may aver the prophecy to have been written only after the city's desolation. However, over 700 years later, the city and a settlement of Jews remained, giving the apostle Peter reason to visit Babylon, as noted in his letter. (1Peter 5:13) The temple of Bel existed as late as 75 C.E. About the fourth century C.E. the city appears to finally have passed out of existence, making it quite unlikely that the prophecy could have been written after the fact.

This is pretty much an admission that you cannot provide evidence for the existence of God. If your beliefs are true, why is it that you can't support them in ordinary, clear debate? I asked for evidence that the central tenet of the Bible is true, the existence of God, and your response is to create a distraction.