Scientific explanations for creation

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 07:36 pm
@Miss L Toad,
Miss L Toad wrote:

Quote:
Can you solve a physics problem involving a block sliding down an inclined plane?

Do I have to?

Grab a passing vector and calculate it's

scientific argument because science never ends in magic.

We know that any blockhead has potential energy mgh

We know that f = ma, g has gravitas and ic conditions may cause friction ic

If force gravity and friction meet then potentially

science = magic

qed

A block slides with constant velocity down an inclined plane making an angle of theta with the horizontal. The block is then projected up the plane with initial velocity v. How far up the plane will it get?
Jpsy

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 03:04 am
@Brandon9000,
There's no point in even wasting your time debating with Romeo. You show him one of his ID heroes is widely considered a crackpot and he quickly and conveniently moves to another ridiculous argument. 2 weeks later he'll be quoting that same crackpot, pretending the guys a renowned expert. He's delusional.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 03:08 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
How far up the plane will it get?

The question is fatally floored (lol) because you didn't specify whether you want vertical height to the apogee or horizontal displacement to the apogee.

I'll guess:

[u^2.tan theta ]/ 2g[tan theta + mu subscript k] as long as you promise you wont ask me any more questions about mechanics.

And tx4 the question I enjoyed trying to answer it.

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 05:59 am
@Miss L Toad,
Miss L Toad wrote:

Quote:
How far up the plane will it get?

The question is fatally floored (lol) because you didn't specify whether you want vertical height to the apogee or horizontal displacement to the apogee.

I'll guess:

[u^2.tan theta ]/ 2g[tan theta + mu subscript k] as long as you promise you wont ask me any more questions about mechanics.

And tx4 the question I enjoyed trying to answer it.

It's not flawed, since I clearly indicated that I wanted a distance up the plane and, by the way, your answer is dimensionally incorrect, since distances aren't measured in units of T^2/L.

The correct answer is this:

Let W = weight of the block, a = acceleration, f = the frictional force, N = the normal force, and u be the coefficient of friction. I will use the letter T for theta, just so I don't have to keep writing out the word.
We know that the block slid down with unaccelerated motion. Therefore, sliding down the plane:

a = 0 = W sin T - f = W sin T - uN
But N = W cos T

W sin T - uW cos T = 0
u = tan T
f = uN = uWcos T = Wsin T

Sliding up the plane, when the frictional force and therefore the acceleration are negative:

a = F/m = F (g/W) = (Wsin T - f)(g/W) = (W sin T + W sin T)(g/W) = 2Wsin T(g/W) = 2gsin T

in the negative (down the plane and opposite the motion) direction. Now, a basic equation of motion is:

Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2as
or
s = - V0^2/2a

where Vf is final velocity, V0 is initial velocity and s is distance travelled. In this case:

s = - V0^2/2(-2gsin T) = V0^2/4gsin T

My point being that those who can't do high school physics are not likely to be correct about cosmology.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 06:16 am
Brandon wrote:
My point being that those who can't do high school physics are not likely to be correct about cosmology.

That's why they think cosmogony is God's work (aka ID).
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 09:47 am
@neologist,
I apologize. I didn't see the 1 in your cite of Hebrews 11:1-3 and only saw the 3.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 04:07 pm
Quote:
Jpsy said: There's no point in even wasting your time debating with Romeo. You show him one of his ID heroes is widely considered a crackpot and he quickly and conveniently moves to another ridiculous argument

Are you a fundy religionist mate? Galileo got in trouble with The Holy Inquisition who thought he was a crackpot for saying the earth went round the sun..Smile
As for modern scientists, many of them are amazed by the complexities of DNA and are beginning to doubt whether it could have happened by random chance-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/dna-god.jpg
Jesus said-"And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered" (Matt 10:30)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/dog-bh_zpsccd488e2.jpg~original
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 04:35 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
A combination of "it's true because a smart guy said so," and the argument from design. We don't need a magical creature. We have evolution by natural selection, which can produce the same result.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 07:36 pm
Speaking of computers, i'll never understand them, but thank God for people who do.
A central theme of Christianity is-
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil.." (Eph 6:12)

and it's almost as if God seeded the earth with "computer warriors" to root out the corruption and scandal in high places by going head-to-head against the giant corporations mainframes-
"Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle" (Psalm 144:1)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/codeB.gif~original

"David slew Goliath" (1 Samuel 17:50)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/davidgoliath.gif~original
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 09:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
Oh well. I should have included all 3 verses in my reply.
0 Replies

ssami8

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:20 pm
@rosborne979,
I agree, science is our knowledge which is less...so little that we dont know our beginning or end...what i know are things between them (ofcourse some of them).. I read this article and this is a good one..

Why Science Does Not Disprove God

by Amir D. Aczel, April 27, 2014

Biology, physics, mathematics, engineering, and medicine help us understand the world, but there is much about life that remains a mystery.
And indeed, science has brought us an immense amount of understanding. The sum total of human knowledge doubles roughly every couple of years or less. In physics and cosmology, for example, we can now claim to know what happened to our Universe as early as a tiny fraction of a second after the Big Bang, something that may seem astounding. In chemistry, we understand the most complicated reactions among atoms and molecules, and in biology we know how the living cell works and have mapped out our entire genome. But does this vast knowledge base disprove the existence of some kind of preexistent outside force that may have launched our Universe on its way?

Science has won major victories against entrenched religious dogma throughout the 19th Century. Throughout the 1800s, discoveries of Neanderthal remains in Belgium, Gibraltar, and Germany have shown that humans were not the only hominids to occupy Earth, and fossils and remains of now-extinct animals and plants have further demonstrated that flora and fauna evolve, live for millennia, and then sometimes die off, ceding their place on the planet to better-adapted species. These discoveries lent strong support to the then-emerging theory of evolution, published by Charles Darwin in 1859. And in 1851, Leon Foucault, a self-trained French physicist, proved definitively that Earth rotates—rather than staying in place as the sun revolved around it—using a special pendulum whose circular motion revealed Earth’s rotation. Equally, geological discoveries made over the same century devastated the “young Earth” hypothesis. We now know that Earth is billions—not thousands—of years old, as some theologians had calculated based on counting generations back to the biblical Adam. All of these discoveries defeated literal interpretations of scripture.

But has modern science, from the beginning of the 20th Century, proved that there is no God, as some commentators are now claiming? Science is an amazing, wonderful undertaking: it teaches us about life, the world, and the Universe. But it has not revealed to us why the Universe came into existence, nor what preceded its birth in the Big Bang. Equally, biological evolution has not brought us the slightest understanding of how the first living organisms emerged from inanimate matter on this planet, and how the advanced eukaryotic cells—the highly structured building blocks of advanced life forms—ever emerged from simpler organisms. Neither does it explain one of the greatest mysteries of science: how did consciousness arise in living things? Where do symbolic thinking and self-awareness come from? What is it that allows us humans to understand the mysteries of biology, physics, mathematics, engineering, and medicine? And what enables us to create great works of art, music, architecture, and literature? Science is nowhere near to explaining these deep mysteries.

But much more important than these conundrums is the persistent question of the fine-tuning of the parameters of the Universe: Why is our Universe so precisely tailor-made for the emergence of life? This question has never been answered satisfactorily, and I believe that it will never find a scientific solution. For the deeper we delve into the mysteries of physics and cosmology, the more the Universe appears to be intricate and incredibly complex. To explain the quantum-mechanical behavior of even one tiny particle requires pages and pages of extremely advanced mathematics. Why are even the tiniest particles of matter so unbelievably complicated? It appears that there is a vast, hidden “wisdom,” or structure, or a knotty blueprint for even the most simple-looking element of nature. And the situation becomes much more daunting as we expand our view to the entire cosmos.

We know that 13.7 billion years ago, a gargantuan burst of energy, whose nature and source are completely unknown to us and not in the least understood by science, initiated the creation of our Universe. Then suddenly, as if by magic, the “God particle”—the Higgs boson discovered two years ago inside CERN’s powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider—came into being and miraculously gave the Universe its mass. Why did this happen? The mass constituted elementary particles—the quarks and the electron—whose weights and electrical charges had to fall within immeasurably tight bounds for what would happen next. For from within the primeval “soup” of elementary particles that constituted the young Universe, again as if by a magic hand, all the quarks suddenly bunched in threes to form protons and neutrons, their electrical charges set precisely to the exacting level needed to attract and capture the electrons, which then began to circle nuclei made of the protons and neutrons. All of the masses, the charges, and the forces of interaction in the Universe had to be just in the precisely needed amounts so that early light atoms could form. Larger ones would then be cooked in nuclear fires inside stars, thus giving us the carbon, iron, nitrogen, oxygen, and all the other elements that are so essential for life to emerge. And eventually, the highly complicated double-helix molecule, the life-propagating DNA, would be formed.

Why did everything we need in order to exist come into being? How was all of this possible without some latent outside power to orchestrate the precise dance of elementary particles required for the creation of all the essentials of life? The great British mathematician Roger Penrose has calculated—based on only one of the hundreds of parameters of the physical Universe—that the probability of the emergence of a life-giving cosmos was one divided by 10, raised to the power 10, and again raised to the power of 123. This is a number as close to zero as anyone has ever imagined. (The probability is much, much smaller than that of winning the Mega Millions jackpot for more days than the Universe has been in existence.)

The “Scientific Atheists” have scrambled to explain this troubling mystery by suggesting the existence of a multiverse—an infinite set of universes, each with its own parameters. In some universes, the conditions are wrong for life; however, by the sheer size of this putative multiverse, there must be a universe where everything is right. But if it takes an immense power of nature to create one universe, then how much more powerful would that force have to be in order to create infinitely many universes? So the purely hypothetical multiverse does not solve the problem of God. The incredible fine-tuning of the Universe presents the most powerful argument for the existence of an immanent creative entity we may well call God. Lacking convincing scientific evidence to the contrary, such a power may be necessary to force all the parameters we need for our existence—cosmological, physical, chemical, biological, and cognitive—to be what they are.

Science and religion are two sides of the same deep human impulse to understand the world, to know our place in it, and to marvel at the wonder of life and the infinite cosmos we are surrounded by. Let’s keep them that way, and not let one of them attempt to usurp the role of the other.
0 Replies

ssami8

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 01:44 am
Friends, we seek evidence to believe in God..here is my theory

Humans can not see anything other than matter in presence of light, we still do believe in energies. For example heat, no one has ever seen it but we believe because we feel. If God is not matter, there is no way we can see Him but it doesn't mean that He don't exist.

Our problem is similar to a problem that a deaf man has, who's equipment (ears) malfunctions and he don't feel sound. If he says sound doesn't even exist, would you believe? Certainly not. Similarly there is an equipment in us which is capable of feeling God, if it malfunctions, you wont feel. Belief is the cause of its malfunctioning..

Think for a while if God is real, one day He will take us out from our graves and ask what have you done in the world? if heaven and hell are real what will we answer? I request to try for one month at least, put belief in Him being the only creator and look around you, analyze events happening around you, creations etc. I pray you start feeling Him. If you don't feel Him after doing all this at least you would do a fair deal to yourself, at least you have tried..

May God guide us!
fresco

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 05:40 am
@ssami8,
Quote:
one day He will take us out from our graves and ask what have you done in the world?

Question: If "we" don't know who who, what or where "we" are during our sleep as living creatures, what chance do you think there is of "knowing it" when dead ? Your "theory" might comfort you, but so does a good anesthetic !
ssami8

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 06:02 am
@fresco,
Buddy what makes you think you are living here in this world?
I have seen dreams which felt so real that I blindly believe them until I wake up.. What if when you wake up, its altogether a different story?
Still no harm in trying what i had written in earlier post..?
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 06:41 am
@ssami8,
Quote:

Think for a while if God is real,

I rarely think about this (only times are when I read the many many posts like yours). Is it important that we must decide whether a god is 'real"?
try not to practice 'transference" of your own needs and convictions upon me. Try to come up with something compelling and convincing.

just curious.
ssami8

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 06:52 am
@farmerman,
So what's your decision?
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 07:04 am
@ssami8,
Ive actually asked you a question .
fresco

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 09:29 am
@ssami8,
Quote:
Still no harm in trying what i had written in earlier post..?

Of course belief in a deity can be harmful if it used as an excuse to interfere with the lives of non-believers, or believers with a different version to you ! It is also harmful if it devalues "this life" relative to a totally hypothetical "next life" such that fools are stirred to commit atrocities which they see as acts of martyrdom.
To paraphrase Sam Harris...
Quote:
With or without religion, good people will do good deeds and bad people will do bad deeds. But it takes religion to get good people to do bad deeds.

And I agree with FM. Proselytes for religion are either trying to rationalize their own irrationality, or attempting to earn entry points for entry to their hypothetical "heaven".
Setanta

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 01:56 pm
The silliness arises from talking about science winning "major victories" against "entrenched religious dogma." That's not what science does. Science isn't in a bitch fight with religion. Science investigates the naturalistic world. If religion gets a black eye from that, it's because the religious indulge all manner of goofy bullsh*t.
0 Replies

ssami8

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 12:59 am
@farmerman,
Buddy I need nothing in return and I do believe in one God. Who is THE only creator of this universe, who is merciful, beneficent.... give us life to see if we are among followers or dis followers...

If you don't believe in one....explain the beginning of us please?