Grammar check

Sigandi

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 02:35 am
Hi All,
I would like to know if the following phrase is correct or not.
"The update reached user over phone should be made immediately after contacting the user".
i wanted to make the above statement as am not able to predict the time when the user was contacted.

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 719 • Replies: 17
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:53 pm
@Sigandi,
Hi Sig

Forgive me Sig but after ruminating on the q for about two hours I devised 31 edits each conveying slightly different meaning. Perhaps it would help if you explain in some detail the exact circumstances of this transaction
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 05:36 pm
@Sigandi,

Quote:
I would like to know if the following phrase is correct or not.

It's not.
0 Replies

Sigandi

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 08:38 am
May i know why it is wrong?
McTag

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 08:41 am
@Sigandi,

It's not clear, and doesn't mean anything really. If you will say what you mean, I will supply a better phrase for you.
Sigandi

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 08:47 am
@McTag,
Below is the scenario
When the customer face any issue with their household products they will call the toll free no & it will be registered.
Later the technician will call back the customer & provide the solution over phone or reach their destination to sort out the issue.
I want the technician to make an entry in the tool immediately after calling the user and after completing the call they should make second entry with how it was solved.With this i will be able to calculate the time taken to solve the issue.
McTag

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 08:55 am
@Sigandi,

Okay

Quote:
"The update reached user over phone should be made immediately after contacting the user".

When the technician receives the task, he must log the time of the first call to the user, and also the time when the solution was provided to the user.
Sigandi

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 09:25 am
@McTag,
I forgot to mention one more thing
When dialing/after the call is connected the technician is supposed to update as "reached user over phone" in the tool.This helps us to calculate the TAT for the call.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 10:56 am
@Sigandi,
Ah, you need the proper punctuation:

The update, “reached user over phone,” should be made immediately after contacting the user.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:26 pm
@Sigandi,

Quote:
I forgot to mention one more thing
When dialing/after the call is connected the technician is supposed to update as "reached user over phone" in the tool.This helps us to calculate the TAT for the call.

Well that doesn't change too much.

"update in the tool" means the same as "log". It's up to the company how it wants its technicians to update or to log calls, and in/with which "tool".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 03:43 pm
@Sigandi,
I can state with complete confidence that, after having completed a grammar check, i have found no evidence of grammar in that sentence.
JTT

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 10:14 pm
@Setanta,

Quote:
I can state with complete confidence that, after having completed a grammar check, i have found no evidence of grammar in that sentence.

Is that the same "complete confidence" that led you to support so many of the idiotic peeves, Set?

The sentence, while it may be incomprehensible to some, is fully grammatical.

Here's one potential meaning.

"The update, "reached user over phone", should be made immediately after contacting the user".

McTag

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 12:55 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
"The update, "reached user over phone", should be made immediately after contacting the user".

That is logical. I did not see that possibility at first.

I would write it without commas (leaving the inverted commas/quotation marks, of course).
JTT

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 08:56 pm
@McTag,
No comments for Setanta, McTag. How come?
McTag

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 10:25 am
@JTT,
He was making a joke. I am content.
JTT

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 10:40 am
@McTag,
You don't really think that, McTag.
McTag

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 02:35 pm
@JTT,

I do, I am really content, and the post was most likely jocular in intent.

I do think we would do better on these threads without looking for unnecessary trouble. (even my nit-picking remark, made when I was not in my usual good humour, was identified as nit-picking by me, at the time.)
JTT

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 02:53 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I do, I am really content, and the post was most likely jocular in intent.

Even if it was jocular in nature, it was completely out of place. Sigandi doesn't need fatuous remarks from a guy who wouldn't know grammar if it walked up and bopped him on the nose.
0 Replies