Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:10 am
I have tried the new water soluble oil paints (Holbein brand), and wonder what kind of varnish I should use on the painting. Having avoided the problems of odor and pollution connected with turps, etc, I don't want to get trapped into using some kind of similarly inappropriate varnish. Has anyone an answer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,385 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:17 am
You can use an acrylic varnish in glossy, eggshell or matte, bearing in mind that matte will tone down many of the dark, rich colors while glossy will reliquish more glare. I've often mixed them to get just the right finish.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:24 am
Varnish
Thank, Lightwizard. I should have thought of that myself! Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:41 am
There are specific clear coatings for the water soluble oils -- try

www.misterart.com

You'll find their prices are really great when you join their "price club."
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:37 pm
I'm always indecisive whether or not to varnish. I want to protect my paintings, but I don't like the uniform surface texture or slick look that varnish gives. I guess I could use a matt varnish - it makes the colors look nicer and protects the painting, but still.

maybe I'll just stick to retouch varnish.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:44 pm
Varnish
Personally, I've never cared for the look that varnish, whether matt or glossy, gives. I don't varnish my acrylics at all anymore.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:43 pm
If you get the right results in your painting and the patina looks even across the surface, I would not varnish the painting. Otherwise I would not use the glossy but mix it 75% gloss with 25% matte. Matte unfortunately will dull the colors as it contains a silver white pigment that deflects light. You'll really notice it on deep, rich colors.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:02 am
Varnish
I know, and that's why I don't care much for varnishing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 02:12 pm
My experience with my formula mentioned above is that it doesn't discernably alter the chroma or values of a painting. It does make the surface very even which does look more professional and is also helpful in photographing the work either digital or analog.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:03 pm
Varnish
Well, Lightwizard, your latest comment raises an interesting point - does one always want a nice even surface? I like to vary the thickness of the paint and the brush strokes, even to the point where they can cast shadows that influence the appearance, depending on the viewer's angle.

What do you think?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:56 pm
It, of course, depends on technique. On glaze oil paintings it looks very unprofessional to have dull areas against reflective areas especially with very realistic images. If you're talking more abstract or at least more modern imagery, it's up to the artist to decide if the uneven patina is attractive or takes away from the painting. It's all suggestion -- I only make suggestions or recommendations based on my own education and experience.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:58 pm
There is also the question of protection -- whether the varnish will enhance the longevity of the painting. There are actually UV coatings for instance that retards fading. Even halogen lamps have a certain amount of UV. A wall that is bathed in reflected sunlight can also be a problem with, say, watercolors or prints.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:26 am
Vernish
What a lot of things there are to remember and consider! Rolling Eyes I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where at least SOME of them come automatically!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:25 am
Art is often judged as a product. If it is a product, it is entirely different than any other kind of product. Unfortunately it's often marketed just as a generic product and the majority of the public have no idea what they are buying other than they obviously like it. Well at least before they've had it on their wall long enough to become jaded with the work -- most of the commerical art ends up being merely decor and doesn't rise above the impact of a new lamp shade.

So varnish in a way is the final finish of a product but it's not a pre-requisite and the artist must make the decision to use it.
0 Replies