brits, euros, aussies. Why America ?

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:01 am
What is about america that you like ? What are the attractions ? Having seen many parts of the USA, for me it's the varied landscape & the cities. The american people are friendly & full of curiosity about people from abroad.
Also I like american cars, the big ones. I keep promising myself I'll get one. I also like american cigarettes. Not fond of american beer though.
The extreme weather changes could be a pain as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,219 • Replies: 30
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:42 pm
OAK, pardon me, but you haven't tried a great variety of american beer if you write it all off. Next time you come ask for a microbrew - and I'm not talking about Sam Adams.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:31 pm
I can't imagine why anyone would come here for a vacation.
We don't have much cool historical stuff--we don't have any Wonders of the World...

Until this thread, I wouldn't have thought anyone would use the US as a travel/vacation destination.

I can understand why they would relocate here for career/business/ entertainment purposes, though.

What is the draw of the US vacation?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:34 pm
K ---------- I was thinking about stuff such as Bud & Rolling Rock, which are available all over the UK, as is Sam Adams. I did like Anchor Steam beer tho. very tasty.
Microbrews are cropppping up all over the place on this side as well.
Cheers, hic, pardon me
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:44 pm
OAK, I knew what you were speaking to (shudder).

Anyway. Unlike Sofia, I can see why people want to visit our country. We have the landscapes as AOK mentions. We have the Grand Canyon, the Redwood Forests (for now), the Badlands and we hold the birth place of the blues and jazz.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:45 pm
oh! And we have cowboys and injins.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:50 pm
Sofia --- When I first went over to the States it was out of curiosity. I'd read a lot about the country, seen the movies, been inundated by TV progs. OK, all of that is fantasy world but I wanted to see some of the reality of the country.

We were brainwashed about how great america is, it's power, indendance, democratic world & that it is the land of plenty. Well all countries are a bit like the curates egg, good in parts. The size of the parts though can vary greatly.

At the same time, I can go to any of a dozen other countries quite easily and very cheaply and come home the same day if I wish.

As for american history, it's getting more and more distant and thus more meaningfull all the time.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:54 pm
K -------- spot on my dear. I've flown thru the Grand Canyon in a 6 seater plane & spent time in the Redwood forests of California and madness, driven thru Death Valley. Also explored many american cities, inc San Diego Zoo & loved every minute of it.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:57 pm
Hub and I like to watch PBS Travels in Europe--
There is just such an incredible wealth of history, architecture and as you say, variety so close together... within easy distances.

You know I'm not down on the US... For vacation purposes, its like leaving the palace to visit the pool house.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:57 pm
Speaking of beer and san diego, my favorite brewery is from that area.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:00 pm
Have you traveled in the US Sofia?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:08 pm
Ah Sofe, don't knock the States. You know the old song, --- Stand By Your Man, well you gotta stand by your country as well.
Think of the thousands of Brits that visit Florida every year and all that money they spend.

The point about history and architecture tho is a good one. The cottage my mother's family lived in was built out of quarried rocks/stones in the 17th century. It also had flagstone floors & oak beams across the ceilings. Now I bet there are similar buildings still in use in New England.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
There probably are.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:27 pm
Well, we (Mrs. Walter and I) certainly will go to the USA (if they let us in :wink: ) - a medium-term thought.

I'd like to tour from North to South along the Atlantic coast (reason: olk already noted them), and to California, and to .... and to ....

I'd really like to see all the contrasts 'live' :wink:

The main reason, however, is that this is the only oportunity to meet more A2K'ers than just a good handful. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:14 pm
Hmm - I loved visiting North America - and I wanna go back. Why?

Well, hey - compared with Oz, you GOT European history! Old Quebec is old to us!

Anyway - I would have liked to see the mountains and such - but when it came to a choice, 'twas New York and Washington - cos we dinna have that long.

Because:

Art - boy you have great art collections! You even have mediaeval - one of my favourites, especially in The Cloisters.

Cities: You have THE city, in my view - New York - the buzz and all was wonderful to live in for a while - as was seeing green when we trained to Montreal!

The US is enormously powerful - I wanted to get some sense of what the country is about.

When I go back, I want to see lots of the actual country - like mountains and deserts and such - and more history - and people I know - sort of - this time!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:20 pm
OAK--
Quote:
Think of the thousands of Brits that visit Florida every year and all that money they spend
I can understand the desire for warm climes, but putting Florida one one side of a scale, and the Mediterranean on the other...or Rio, or some other exotic, tropical location....I just don't see Florida being the pick...

Different strokes...

But, I guess I hadn't thought our 'wild west' may be one of a kind. I can't think of a similar landscape in Europe. Is there one?
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:29 pm
Sofia wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would come here for a vacation.
We don't have much cool historical stuff--we don't have any Wonders of the World...

Until this thread, I wouldn't have thought anyone would use the US as a travel/vacation destination.

I can understand why they would relocate here for career/business/ entertainment purposes, though.

What is the draw of the US vacation?

Mt Rushmore
Grand Canyon
Niagra Falls
Monument Valley
Death Valley
Monterey Bay area is a GREAT vacation spot!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:49 pm
sofia --------- florida coz they go as family, the kids like the disney trip and there's the space thing as well and the locals speak english. plenty of deals going down and the english pound is strong against the dollar.
Like I said earlier, we brits can do europe and the med any old time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:58 pm
Florida has an o.k. climate, but i noticed the weather was often very drunk out when i stayed with a friend for a few months . . .
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:02 pm
...I want to do the med.... I guess the Hill Towns and such lure--the sense of Odysseus and timelessness seems as if it would be more pronounced at such a location. I know my beach is as old as yours-- I guess a sharp change of scenery just seems to dramatically transport one.

Orlando is full of stuff. I guess it is great for families with kids. I just thought there might be something similar closer to you. Is the EuroDisney not as good?

We've been five or six times (Disney) and we still haven't seen it all. Disneyworld is enough for a few vacations before you see it all--but Universal Studios added...

With all the times we've been--still haven't been to the great water parks and such. And Canaveral, I guess, just doesn't do it for me...
0 Replies