1
   

Coaxial cable sparks

 
 
Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 12:04 am
my DIRECTV boxes have burnt out twice in the past two months and burnt out the ports on my tv. The tecs they have are stupid as [email protected]$k it has been two months and they have been here 4 times saying the cause is 4 different things. Ok now on to the issue this time i have done some trouble shooting and when the box is hooked up to the tv without the coaxial cable hooked up to the box it works. when the coaxial cable was hooked up to the box the coaxial sparked as well as the hdmi outs and in where the video was connected. Second I hooked them all up to a surge protector with the protector turned off once i plunged in the coaxial cable it sparked again even though the tv or box did not have power. The box does not have a ground tv does. I feel as if the power of the coaxial goes through the box through the hdmi to the tv to the ground. So what is the issue and how do i fix?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,829 • Replies: 11
No top replies

 
dalehileman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 01:51 pm
@DTSlayer09,
DTS do you get the spark from the center conductor or shield
0 Replies
 
contrex
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 02:25 pm
I would get an electrician to look at your house wiring and check if you have a ground problem. Someone could get hurt or killed. You may need to contact the power company.

dalehileman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 02:42 pm
@contrex,
That's my reaction if you're sparking at the outer conductor
0 Replies
 
contrex
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 04:49 pm
A ground wire could have come off a pole pig or something like that, or at his distribution board or something could be amiss with the grounding. What bothers me is that for sparking to occur there must be significant voltages and a shock that makes a dry adult flinch or jump could kill a wet child.


0 Replies
 
DTSlayer09
 
  1  
Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 11:57 pm
@DTSlayer09,
i get sparks from the shield. I have used an outlet tester and it says the outlet is correct and i am getting 123 volts out of the outlet.
dalehileman
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 11:11 am
@DTSlayer09,
Quote:
from the shield
Then sounds like "grounding" problem as Con says
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 11:24 am
@DTSlayer09,
DTSlayer09 wrote:
the power of the coaxial

Any signals on the coax should be extremely low voltage; something is seriously wrong if you're getting sparks from a coax cable.
dalehileman
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 11:42 am
@DrewDad,
Dad while that's usu the case it isn't necessarily so. Sometimes power is also provided through the center conductor
contrex
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 12:03 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Dad while that's usu the case it isn't necessarily so. Sometimes power is also provided through the center conductor


Up the centre conductor and down the braid (or vice versa if you prefer; either way you need a circuit). You sometimes get a low DC voltage, 12 to 20 volts, carried up coaxial cable e.g. for a masthead amplifier, or with a satellite dish, the Low Noise Block downconverter. This will originate from a powered-up satellite or other receiver.

However...

Quote:
my DIRECTV boxes have burnt out twice in the past two months and burnt out the ports on my tv.


Quote:
once i plunged in the coaxial cable it sparked again even though the tv or box did not have power.


It is possible for the outer braid of coax to carry AC because of "ground loop" conditions - this may mean there are problems with equipment or wiring inside or outside the house. Sparking and burned out ports does not sound like the regular operation of any TV equipment.


dalehileman
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 12:17 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Up the centre conductor and down the braid
Of course DTS, Con is right, used in this manner if it sparks at one it will probably spark at the other. If it's much of a spark however you can assume something wrong as Dad says
0 Replies
 
bahtah
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:36 pm
@DTSlayer09,
I would be looking to see that your service neutral is bonded at the main panel. Have you taken a voltage reading between the coax and ground? The sparks are current trying to complete the circuit back to the source. There should be no voltage present at ground potential. If you have a sub-panel in your home, someone may have bonded the neutral to ground which is not allowed because it creates a parallel path between the neutral and ground conductors back to the main panel. You might want to check the receptacle at the Cable equipment to be sure the neutral is not in contact with ground.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Take it All - Discussion by McGentrix
Cancelled - Discussion by Brandon9000
John Stewart meets Bill O'Reilly - Discussion by Thomas
Recommend good HBO series? - Discussion by dlowan
BEFORE WE HAD T.V. - Discussion by edgarblythe
What TV shows do you watch? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Orange is the New Black - Discussion by tsarstepan
Odd Premier: Under the Dome - Discussion by edgarblythe
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Coaxial cable sparks
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 12/07/2021 at 05:01:15