Golovkin/Stevens, what happened

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 08:08 pm

For the benefit of any who may have missed it on HBO...

Golovkin appears to be a reasonable approximation of an honest to God for real 160-lb version of Duran or something like that. major punching power and major skills and he does not get hit with solid punches.

This was a puncher vs counter-puncher contest and the counter-puncher got wiped. A counter puncher is counting on punchers leaving themselves exposed as they go at least partially off balance throwing hard punches, and Golovkin simply breaks the paradigm. He is always perfectly balanced, always has weight between his feet and not in front of them, generates power with punches which do not require any sort of loading up, and does not leave himself exposed when he throws punches.

Most of the time the counter strokes missed and even in the odd case in which one of them landed, Stevens got the worst of the exchange.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,424 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 04:44 am
@gungasnake,
don't follow boxing anymore,its too fractured into these imrrelevant classes and titles.

The boxing commissioners are losing audience to MMA and other more idiotic pugil sports.

I think Id watch NASCAR before boxing anymore.

I vote for full contact chess
gungasnake

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 07:55 am
@farmerman,
I don't really enjoy watching boxing most of the time but I enjoy watching the few fighters who actually get good at it, and Golovkin is one of the three best I've ever watched, the other two being Duran and Roy Jones.

This fight was unusually interesting. Stevens was the most dangerous opponent Golovkin had faced (only one of Stevens last four opponents had made it past the first round). Usually when you see somebody 5-7 fighting middleweight you're seeing somebody moving up one or two divisions; Stevens was actually moving DOWN. Stevens is simply that heavily built, sort of like a miniature Mike Tyson.

There was also the puncher vs counter-puncher thing and Golovkin just provided the world with a textbook on how to demolish counter-punchers.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 07:57 am
BTW, this YT video has been pulled due to copyright issues, I'll post another link if one turns up.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2013 09:44 pm
@gungasnake,
New link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk62ymZrvGY
0 Replies