HOW UNCLE SAM REWROTE THE SCRIPT

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:14 am
Objective, Burma! (1945)

Errol Flynn's paratroopers overcome the Japanese with barely a Brit in sight, although it was really they who won the battle. The press and public, some of whom had fought in Burma, were so outraged that the film had to be withdrawn.

The Great Escape (1963)

Steve McQueen played a leading part in a mass escape from a POW camp. In real life, 76 got out of Stalag Luft III, but only three made it alive; 50 were shot and 23 recaptured. No Americans among them.

Braveheart (1995)

Mel Gibson as a charming William Wallace - not the real man who wore the skin of an opposing general as his belt. Wallace fathers a son by the Princess of Wales who really gave birth seven years after his execution.

Titanic (1998)

First Officer William McMaster Murdoch is remembered as a hero in his Scottish home for saving passengers. He froze to death in the sea. The film shows him shooting passengers in a blind panic.

U-571 (2000)

Harvey Keitel and other plucky American seamen pull an Enigma code machine from a sinking German submarine and change the course of the war. Except that it was the crew of HMS Bulldog.

The Patriot (2000)

Gibson again as a pacifist provoked into joining the American War of Independence when sadistic Brits herd women and children into a church and set fire to it. Nothing like that happened.

Hollywood updates history of Battle of Britain: Tom Cruise won it all on his own
The 'Top Gun' star is making a new film glorifying American Billy Fiske as the hero of this country's 'finest hour'. But veterans say that, though a remarkable man, Fiske died without shooting down a single plane. Cole Moreton talks to those who knew him

more in the Independent on Sunday HERE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,140 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:16 am
This drives me NUTSO!!!!!!!!!

Dinna an Aussie lead the Great Escape?

Of course, bloody Mel Gibson did it, too.

But we count him as a Yank now!!!!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:25 am
i hate movies about hawaii, the movies make all the locals look like idiots or servants.

liked magnum p.i. though, but it was a tv show.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:27 am
don't be giving aussies rejects to us, we have enough of our own.

i'd take elle mcphearson though.............
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:52 am
Perhaps the lesson is that, like stories in the media, if you know about the history of a thing, any film is full of crap?

But - I do think Hollywood has a penchant for distortion, and outright lies, which outdoes anything else to hit our screens.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:10 am
I SO endorse what you say, dl, it is infuriating when these films are passed off as history - and generations of young people won't know the truth. The Yanks have done plenty without them muscling in on everyone else's deeds of daring and justice. My father-in-law who took the Japanese surrender in Mandalay would revolve at speed in his grave if he had seen the Errol Flinn version Operation Burma quoted by Walter. Luckily he was still commanding his Gurkhas somewhere at the time of the film's release. My own kids have a romantic idea of the Scots because of Braveheart and they used to hate it when I called it Bray Fart... at least as they've grown up they can see the error of their ways.

How can we retaliate? Aussies Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the moon? Anthony Hopkins IS George W Bush? Hugh Grant as JFK?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:37 am
Im so confused. Ive seen about 85 versions of The alamo and I wonder whether John Wayne was really there?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:55 am
Lol!

What about that dumb film about the breaking of the sound barrier - which had a Yank doing it, instead of Brit, as really happened - and BY REVERSING THE CONTROLS???

Where the heck did that come from?

And if I see another American in the Battle of Britain...well ...
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:49 am
Perhaps you, dl,would take the part of Eleanor Roosevelt in the remaking of The US involvement in WWII ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:30 am
Deb, I always was taught that Chuck Yaeger (a born West Virginian) was the first to break the sound barrier in 1947. Was this one of those "we did it 2 days before" thing?

I know it was an American, in the famous movie regarding the rescue of a hostage who said

"MY name Is Ricardo Diego Montoya. You killed my father.Now prepare to Die"....
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:54 am
mmm it is infuriating.

They claim inventions and foods and stuff as well - on the ' why do they hate america' thread someone was trying to claim pizza's as American!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:52 pm
Cmon viv, inventing the pizza wasnt the point, developing all the individual toppings for a buck each , thats the thing. America invented the concept of "nickle and diming" the **** out of you

BTW HAppy Easter. Im stuffed and everybodys sitting around. im shhowing a friend this site

say hello Ben

Ben sez Hi
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:11 pm
Factually it was Chuck Yeager in the Bell X-1 who first broke the sound barrier. The British were working on it and that was actually well documented in the British film "Breaking the Sound Barrier."

In "U-571" which still played fast and loose with history, there was a later capturing of an Enigma machine by the Americans. The first two machines were captured by the British and the capturings were really mostly by chance. This was misrepresented in the movie also.

"Braveheart" was off by a mile in many aspects of Wallace's career making him seem more important that he actually was.

In "The Egyptian" Victor Mature plays Horemheb (the son of a cheesemaker -- yeah, right!) who succeeds Ikhnaton to the throne of Egypt when Horemheb wasn't even born yet and didn't become Pharaoh for nearly two hundred years later.

Don't expect to get your history from Hollywood!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:16 pm
farmerman wrote:
I know it was an American, in the famous movie regarding the rescue of a hostage who said

"MY name Is Ricardo Diego Montoya. You killed my father.Now prepare to Die"....

Laughing
0 Replies