I am going to be a lab rat

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:51 pm
The admin. of a hospital called me and asked if I was willing to go through a trial of a drug.Wow they are only taking 5,000 people in the world. I should be honored, yeah right.

The point is the docs don't have an answer as to why I keep going into respiratory failure. Doctors don't like having an answer.

I should or I feel I should do this, if not for me, others who may benefit.

Open to discussion.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,506 • Replies: 14
No top replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 04:58 pm
@trying2learn,
I know a guy who took part in a drug trial once and she's okay.
roger

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2013 05:00 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I get your drift.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 01:28 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Cute, except I am serious.

Oh and my mistake, I meant doctors don't like not having answers.

The whole idea scares me a bit. The test is going to take 3 years. Have you really known anyone who has gone through a test trial?
JTT

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 06:51 am
@trying2learn,
I wonder who the coward[s] is/are who voted you down and why. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell we'll ever know either.

Good luck with your test and your respiratory problems, T2L.

I've never known anyone involved in such a trial.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 07:43 am
@trying2learn,
I would be for doing it, but I understand being afraid to. They have probably tested it already in other tests on humans, re safety and doseage, and before that on animals, and are zeroing in on whether this one works in your kind of situation. But that's a guess on my part. You'll have to talk with test administrators - I assume you will be signing paperwork giving your ok - about your concerns. These kinds of tests, and you probably know this, are administered "double blind", and some goodly portion of the tested people get placebos. I assume also that they stop it with people who have serious side effects, but as I said they probably have tested for those before this. Talk with them, and let us know how it goes.
trying2learn

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 08:43 am
@ossobuco,
JTT I am used to it by now.

osso they haven't tested the drug, which will be injections, in humans. This will be the first time. There are 15 pages of paperwork that I have to go through and sign. 1/3 of the 5000 will be given a placebo and 2/3 the real drug. The most serious side effect of course is death.

The paperwork says after an injection the person has to stay at the hospital for at least 30 minutes in case of a serious side effect.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 01:40 pm
@trying2learn,
You do realize that you have an equal chance in being one of the few to actually get a placebo, right? These drug tests always have a control group. Just letting you know that's a distinct possibility.
trying2learn

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes thanks, I realize I might get the placebo.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 03:29 pm
@trying2learn,
It was just a bit of humour. Isn't laughter a great medicine, any doc would tell you that.. and it's free too.

I wish you well with whatever you decide to do.

PS. I'm not thumbing you down.
trying2learn

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 04:11 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Well I have been told my sense of humor is twisted. It must be the company I keep.

Laughter is good and I always manage to have fun when I am in the hospital.

I no longer care about the thumbs down and thank you Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 04:23 pm
@trying2learn,
I've been a test patient a few times. The first was for the allergy med sold as Tavist/Wal-hist/Day-hist.

I prefer to be a test subject. Eye and hearing tests, that sort of thing.
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 05:18 pm
@trying2learn,
Someone is blowing smoke up someone’s dress.

Unless something has changed radically in less than a decade a true FIH study would NOT contain 5000 people, 20 to maybe 80 would be the number. A time frame of months is normal for an FIH but three years? Level II and even some level III studies usually only contain a couple hundred and normally terminate in a year or less.

As FIH is to determine ONLY drug safety (is it lethal) there are a large number of protocols that must be followed about information and assured understanding of information so it is hard to believe that at the point of signing consent forms you would still have this level of ignorance on the subject.

None of this sounds real -- to me.
trying2learn

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2013 10:53 pm
@Zarathustra,
It is real and they have followed protocol. I just didn't reveal everything that is involved.

This is the site btw, where the description is required by U.S. Law: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/home
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 10:48 am
@Zarathustra,
I really don't appreciate being called a liar. Maybe the individual drugs have been tried in humans. The combination of the drugs they will being using has not.Hence the side effect can be death.

I still get to ask the administrators any questions I might have so I will bring up your remarks.

Also, as a participant you can quit the study at any time for any reason. I do know that the FDA has not approved the drug and many countries are involved. I saw that Germany, Switzerland, England and about 3 or 4 others. 5000 people world wide is a very small portion of the total population.
0 Replies