12 Years a Slave: the best depiction about slavery in a movie?

tsarstepan

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 04:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

you dont deal with any of my points. I will take that as an admission that you cant.

Quote:
Each movie production has their own deal with their respective distribution companies.
wow, you ARE desperate for a diversion. I was talking about the deals between the distribution companies and the theater owners.

You literally can't make this statement as you LITERALLY HAVEN''T seen the contracts. You're throwing out the word contract as if you yourself are the one to have written them up for the studio and theater companies. I'm not bothering to try and argue against the points in which you yourself just pulled from your own ass WITHOUT DOCUMENTED PROOF. You're making these claims about contract deals as if you have been in the same room as the legal departments of all the parties involved whereas you just threw up a few random (YES RANDOM) and arbitrary links and thusly you think you have proven your anecdotal points.

Quote:
Compare the number of distribution companies each film has worldwide. Your comparison between the two movies and their respective theatrical releases is merely anecdotal at best AKA utterly useless
it is however 100% more evidence produced for my assertions than you have produced for yours.
[/quote]
I don't need to prove anything. This isn't my job to do so and once again, you alleged proof is just a few useless links which really don't prove anything you written here.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 27 Nov, 2013 02:15 pm
@aidan,
I saw it about that time as well. "Stunning" works, and I have had a hard time talking about this movie. Notwithstanding what the Know-nothings say, there has never been another movie quite like this. Solomon Northrup was a real free man who became a real slave who wrote a real first person narrative this movie is drawn from. I have never seen or imagined before the abject desperation and hellish torture and cruelty that was those people's reality.
ossobuco

Wed 27 Nov, 2013 02:21 pm
@snood,
It's one I need to see and I don't say that about many movies now.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 27 Nov, 2013 02:29 pm
@snood,
Gonna see it this week.

Snood...what a welcome sight and sound. Rare sighting.

Hope all is well.

Have a great Turkey Day.

f.
tsarstepan

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 01:18 pm
“12 Years A Slave” Screenwriter John Ridley Thinks We Worry Too Much About Racist Trolls
“To me, you walk around with a Klan hat on or you’ve got a swastika on your arm, you just look like a dope, you know what I mean?”
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/12-years-a-slave-screenwriter-john-ridley-thinks-we-worry-to
hawkeye10

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 01:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
this intense desire we see to run around forbidding anyone from disagreeing with us is proof of our insecurity. this idea that an individuals membership to a genetic group says nothing about the individual does not stand up upon examination of the facts, so the conversation must be shut down to preserve the belief.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 12:55 am
@tsarstepan,
Here's a movie about being slaves to ideology:

0 Replies

snood

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 09:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
So, what'd you think, Frank?
Frank Apisa

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 09:35 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

So, what'd you think, Frank?

Wish I could answer that question, Snood...but some things came up and we were not able to go see the movie.

The reviews I've read have all be raves...and I want very much to see it. But it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime before the New Year, so I'm going to have to see it on the small screen.

Lemme take this chance to wish you a Merry Christmas...and a Happy 2014, Snood. Hope all is well with you and yours.
0 Replies

jabeen100

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:50 am
I'm very aware that seeing this film along with Steve McQueen crowned by Oscar is nearly erasing 85 years of history in the Academy. Are they willing and ready to begin looking into new realms and allowing someone not necessarily in their inner circles to make a bold statement as McQueen and Ridley take in "12 Years a Slave?" I remain hopeful.
tsarstepan

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 08:41 am
@jabeen100,
The Academy hasn't even published the official nominations yet let alone give the award to Sir McQueen or Mr. Ridley. Don't go crowning them already though they do deserve such accolades for this film.

By the way, neither Steve McQueen (not the famous actor- he died back in 1980) or John Ridley are really darlings of the Academy. Neither have been nominated with an Oscar before.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 09:37 am
Quote:
Tsarstepan said: 12 Years a Slave is a brutal and devastating look into the history of slavery in the US. It is indeed a very difficult movie to watch because of the violence (emotional and physical) unleashed on the slaves by their owners.

I might watch it when it comes to TV in a few years.
Wonder if it's one-sided or whether it also includes the fight to abolish slavery by christians and others such as Livingstone?
"It is impossible to overstate the evils of slavery"- David Livingstone

Some of his diary entries in Africa-
7th August 1871 -"ill and almost every step in pain"
11th August-"Rested half a day as I am still ill"
13th August- "I am suffering greatly"
16th August- "To Luama river. Very ill with bowels"
19th-20th August- "Rest from weakness"
29th August- "ill all night, and remain"
30th August- "Ditto, ditto"
23rd September- "I felt as if dying on my feet..almost every step was in pain..violent diarrhoea"
8th October- "The dust of the march caused ophthalmia...ill"

tsarstepan

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 09:51 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The movie is based on the published memoirs of Solomon Northup. I don't think this Livingstone ever crossed paths with Mr. Northrup's path. He wasn't mentioned in the movie but Brad Pitt's character was part of the Christian movement to abolish slavery. He plays a pivotal role (albeit a pretty short one) in the movie. So no. It wasn't a one side depiction against the struggles of slavery.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 09:58 am
Romeo, if you're going to talk about the Christian abolitionists, you should also talk about the several centuries of Christian justifications for slavery. The abolitionists were reviled by many Christians and were an embattled minority through most of the 19th century before the Civil War. And let us not forget the Christian justifications for apartheid in South Africa, from the Dutch Reformed Church if I remember correctly. Christian defenses of slavery were by no means the religion's finest hour.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 10:10 am
"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen."
Leviticus 25:44ff
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 10:58 am
Quote:
MontereyJack said: several centuries of Christian justifications for slavery.
Frank Apisa said: "Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess...etc" Leviticus 25:44ff

1- True Christians have never owned slaves, never have, never will..Smile
2- Leviticus is OLD Testament stuff whose harshness has been trashed by the NEW Testament (the clue is in the name), and people soon cottoned on-
"The covenant of which Jesus is mediator is superior to the old one........In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent" (New T Hebrews 8:6, New T Acts 17:30)
"Law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for murderers, for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers, and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God" (New T 1 Tim 1:9)
MontereyJack

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 11:57 am
They said they were Christians. They found justification in the bible. The churches they belonged to said they were Christians, and the churches found justification in the bible. They would have thought you,
Romeo, were unchristian. You can't disown them so easily. They're part of your past history, no matter what you think.

And, as you may have noticed, no matter what position on any doctrinal matter any one Christian takes, probably at least a billion of the billion plus "Christians" in the world will disagree with him or her that that is what "true Christians" believe. Why should anyone else believe anything you say?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 12:12 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
MontereyJack said: several centuries of Christian justifications for slavery.
Frank Apisa said: "Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess...etc" Leviticus 25:44ff

1- True Christians have never owned slaves, never have, never will..Smile

Really???!!!

"All under the yoke of slavery must regard their masters as worthy of full respect...Those slaves whose masters are brothers in the faith must not take liberties with them on that account. they must perform their tasks even more faithfully, since those who will profit from their work are believers and beloved brothers." 1 Timothy 6:1ff

Now why do you suppose Paul wrote this???

Do you think Paul thought "the beloved brothers" were not true Christians because they owned slaves?

Or are we supposed to take your word over the god of the Bible...and over the word of Paul?

C'mon, Romeo...don't make this any easier for me than necessary.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 07:50 pm
Quote:
MontereyJack said: @RF- no matter what position on any doctrinal matter any one Christian takes, probably at least a billion of the billion plus "Christians" in the world will disagree with him or her that that is what "true Christians" believe.

As i've said before, I don't give a rat's ass what phoney "christians" say, they're all just fundy halfwits and crackpots to me and I have great fun going round their forums busting their satanic asses..Smile
"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." (2 Cor 11:13/14)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/way-madmaxRomeo_zps01ae368c.gif~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 26 Dec, 2013 08:11 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote: "All under the yoke of slavery must regard their masters as worthy of full respect...." 1 Timothy 6:1ff
Now why do you suppose Paul wrote this???

Nice try mate, but in the King James Version that verse begins with-
"Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour.." (1 Tim 6:1)
Biblically, the Greek word 'doulos' translates as either a slave, servant, or bond-servant, each word had a very different meaning depending on the time and place throughout the centuries. A doulos may therefore well have been a simple house-servant somewhere, or an oppressed Spartacus-type slave somewhere else.
No true Christian would beat a slave or they wouldn't be a true Christian..Smile