Engagement rings are the equivalent of a woman selling her vagina and uterus for $

ossobuco

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:47 pm
@soundsighted,
I'm not in the mood for taking on asshole number whatever. I can understand some of those, but not this peacock. May he get snuggled and then caught in a nose.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 06:54 pm
@soundsighted,
Some desk clerks have a little sideline in performing marriages good till checkout time.
0 Replies

soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:13 pm
If a man had his penis cut off by his wife, women everywhere would cheer and laugh, and somehow that would be socially acceptable (and NOT AT ALL SEXIST.) But if a man tells a woman she's a **** (most likely because she deserves it), the whole world has a self pity trip and wears pink ribbons to draw attention to "female empowerment". How in the world is that an equal balance???

Man bashing needs to stop.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:17 pm
@soundsighted,
soundsighted wrote:
for all the goddamn money i shelled out on her ring, what did i get?
There is your problem. You made a choice to spend your money on a ring. Why group all women together?
soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:26 pm
@trying2learn,
Quote:
Why group all women together?

Apologies. I don't mean to group them all as one. But I am most definitely saying that society allows women to take far less personal responsibility for their actions AND it allows men to be demonized (while women are almost always viewed as INNOCENT victims of big bad men.)

And without buying that ring, I essentially wouldn't have been able to have gotten married. The social stigma and pressure from her and her family alone...
maxdancona

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:28 pm
@soundsighted,
So you are engaging in prostitution... and then complaining that you have to pay for it?

This whole thread doesn't make any sense.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:36 pm
@soundsighted,
I am glad you didn't mean to group all women as one.

As far as the social stigma, again that was your choice. I guess you care more about what others think of you. Maybe you shouldn't have gotten married if a ring was so important.
ossobuco

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:39 pm
@trying2learn,
Getting a zero in this thread is a plus.
0 Replies

soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:53 pm
@trying2learn,
Quote:
I guess you care more about what others think of you.

I guess I cared about my wife and wanted to be with her regardless of what I believe are her and many other women's unrealistic and materialistic (largely generated by the media, and corporations telling women they need all this 'Stuff" i.e. big weddings, gifts, diamond rings, ect.) views on marriage.
trying2learn

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:13 pm
@soundsighted,
osso I don't really care about the thumbs up or down. I'm getting used to being in the negative #s Smile

sound
You don't make sense to me? You complain about the cost of a ring and then you write you cared about your wife regardless.....

soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:20 pm
@trying2learn,
Quote:
You don't make sense to me? You complain about the cost of a ring and then you write you cared about your wife regardless.....

What is to not understand? Have you ever had a job you didn't like? You still went to work in order to support yourself right? But that doesn't mean you like what you had to do in order to support yourself. I love my wife, unconditionally. But I'm still entitled to be pissed off at her expectation of an expensive ring. And to a larger degree entitled to be pissed off at a large portion of the female gender having the same expectations. And to an even larger degree entitled to be pissed off at society for allowing less personal responsibility for women than for men.
ossobuco

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:31 pm
@soundsighted,
Many of us married men without rings. We were scraping along with money. In my case, I had a ring of my grandmother's engraved. I was the bride. Never could wear it, too heavy and made my finger itch. We got ours of our own about five years later. Mine from a fancy place but still not expensive, simple, and his done in silver as a copy, when he decided to go for it, not being a ring person 0 brilliant, by a neighborhood silversmith, start of a lot of our interest in him/garage workshop.

We've been divorced a long time now but still talk off and on re family and politics.

The poster has a big problemo re hatred of females. Actually, scary.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:53 pm
@soundsighted,
That is where we differ. I didn't let society dictate what I wear, how I speak or what I buy.

You should be pissed off at yourself. Society didn't make any choices for you, you make your own choice.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 03:46 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Oh I don't know, a vagina can come in handy on a boat too.

Vaginas should NEVER be allowed on boats.

Unless there is a galley of course.
glitterbag

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:58 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I thought about joining this discussion but suddenly I realized how brilliant the OP is, and upon that realization, I dissolved in tears and ate a gallon of Rocky Road ice cream.

Why oh why don't women appreciate a gem of a guy like whatshisface?
chai2

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:29 pm
@glitterbag,
I had of course forgotten about this thread.

However, rereading the title, my reaction is, well it's her vagina and uterus, she can do what she wants with it.
0 Replies

vikorr

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 04:51 pm
I'm wondering whether the OP, in buying the engagement ring to represent their commitment to a future together (should she accept), viewed the buying of the ring as either:
- a gift; or
- the purchase price for her
chai2

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 06:07 pm
@vikorr,
I don't have an engagement ring, never wanted one, or a big wedding. It just all seemed like such a waste of money that could be used for for useful things, like, God forbid, a house.

I certainly never equated a ring or wedding to my vagina or uterus.

I'm sorta a package deal, and those two parts are just along for the ride.

You know, I always thought the dumb diamond ring was usually more important to the woman. Partly (maybe mostly) to show to others what a catch she got. Someone who could afford such a thing. I truthfully can't think of another reason.
It feels like men just buy it because the woman expects it, not because he feels he now owns her, or bought her sexual favors.

vikorr

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 06:20 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
It feels like men just buy it because the woman expects it, not because he feels he now owns her, or bought her sexual favors.
That would be my thought. I asked the question because of the heading of the thread, and his following comments.

As for money better spent, a couple of years back I ran a calculation on how much $10,000 put into Superannuation when you were 20 would come to by the time you retire at 60. At 8% growth per annum (which figure tends to average out the bust / boom cycle), it came to just over $217,000

With most people retiring poor - when they think of how much they spend on weddings, and on cars - they'd be surprised at how much they lose from retirement.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 06:42 pm
Whatever happened to the dowry? I thought the women were supposed to bring something to the party.