Engagement rings are the equivalent of a woman selling her vagina and uterus for $

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:01 am
Whatever happened to marrying a guy just because you love the guy???

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/08/engagement_rings_are_barbaric_partner/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,878 • Replies: 46
Topic Closed
No top replies

soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:24 am
@soundsighted,
Women are sexist TO THEMSELVES
Lordyaswas

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:30 am
@soundsighted,
soundsighted wrote:

Women are sexist TO THEMSELVES

I quite agree. If only they would make better use of their time.

Housekeeping, cleaning, cooking and child rearing are good activities to keep them occupied.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:32 am
Oh, and not arguing or disagreeing with males....
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 06:43 am
@soundsighted,
Quote:
Whatever happened to marrying a guy just because you love the guy???

Historically, marriage was never intended to be for "love".

Marriage has always been an economic arrangement designed to ensure that men had the needed access to a uterus and the women had access to economic stability, status and help providing for children. For most of history, marriage partners were arranged based on family needs, not on the mushy feelings of the participants.

Reproduction is important. Without it our species doesn't survive. Love is nice, but it isn't essential.

I don't see any problem with this.
soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:20 am
@maxdancona,
good luck selling yours then (oh and by definition that would make you the equivalent of a 'Lady of the night')
maxdancona

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:31 am
@soundsighted,
Geez Soundsighted! Are you here to have a discussion or to give a sermon. If we are going to have a discussion, then you are going to have to not be so easily upset when someone points out the other side of the story.

There is nothing I have said that isn't already well known. You do know that in history marriages were arranged, right?

If you are here to give your point of view without anyone questioning it, then I apologize for my intrusion. But it would be a shame, this is an interesting topic of discussion.
Setanta

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:38 am
In fact, marriage always has been and to a great extent still is about rights in property. Marriages were arranged to assure that the newly-wed couple could support themselves and the children it was hoped they would produce. Peasatns who had little or no property often weren't married, and that was true right into the 20th century, when demographic studies done in England before the Great War showed that three quarters of factory workers who were members of reproductive couples did not marry.

Even when prosperous peasants did not bother to get married, the unions of young men and women were often arranged to assure the couples future. As for "love," the ancients considered it to be a mental health issue of the young--i can't say that i disagree with that entirely. Elaborate weddings, engagement rings, all the hoopla is just a very recently created service industry. Genuine, reliable love, in my experience, and according to my never humble opinion, is the product of long acquaintance and proven, personal reliability.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:39 am
Oh, and if you look at this joker's posting history, which i believe encompasses only today, you'll see that he's a ranting troll. I suspect he got dumped and he's chosen this site to have his hysterical fit.
soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:44 am
@maxdancona,
I hope people discuss it, and I'm well aware that historically marriages were arranged. I'd just like to think we've evolved a bit as a species (you know, higher functioning and all.) Perhaps just men have... All I'm saying is that the definition of a prostitute is selling your body for money. Think about it, if men could just be pretty and have a fertile body, and then use that to achieve economic and social stability without hard work, don't you think we'd like that too?
0 Replies

soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:46 am
@Setanta,
incorrect... MARRIED!
soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:09 am
@soundsighted,
for all the goddamn money i shelled out on her ring, what did i get? I think If it's the man's responsibility to buy a shiny rock that the jewelry companies have made all you ladies believe is important, then the woman should have to buy her husband a nice entertainment center or something. 50/50, isn't that what a marriage should be??? Women are SOOOO much more sexist than men, and mostly they're sexist to themselves. Have some self respect AND respect for your husband.
maxdancona

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:31 am
@soundsighted,
Ohhhh... now I understand. I really misjudged the purpose of this thread.

0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:53 am
@soundsighted,
Quote:

Robert Heinlein quote

"Whenever women have insisted on absolute equality with men, they have invariably wound up on the dirty end of the stick. What they are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. They should never settle merely for equality. For women, “equality” is a disaster."

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:57 am
@soundsighted,
So am I given to understand that you swapped an expensive ring for a vagina and uterus?
Couldn't you have negotiated a bit more and got her to throw a boat and trailer into the deal or something?
I can see why you're angry. A vagina is OK for Christmas and other holidays, but a boat and trailer combo is forever.
soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 04:58 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Men age better than women, so yes.

She gets the shiny ring/status symbol which lasts a lot longer than her keeping herself up and looking nice.

Excellent sarcasm btw, (and that's NOT me being sarcastic). I laughed at what you wrote. Because you see if a man treats a woman's vagina & uterus as a piece of property (As my above comment exemplifies) that's "Sexist", but if a woman WILLINGLY CHOOSES (free will) to essentially sell hers in exchange for economic security and social status, that's not at all sexist?!?!?!

Do you understand the hypocrisy in the way society treats the genders differently?
maxdancona

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:12 pm
@soundsighted,
Maybe you are both being sexist. And not to nitpick, but it isn't really selling. It is more like renting.

soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
It is more like renting.

True! That's also why some hotels rent rooms by the hour!
chai2

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:30 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I can see why you're angry. A vagina is OK for Christmas and other holidays, but a boat and trailer combo is forever.

Oh I don't know, a vagina can come in handy on a boat too. Like when you're deep sea fishing and need 2 free hands to open a beer or eat a big sammich, there you've got a ready made rod holder.

soundsighted

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 05:40 pm
@soundsighted,
I love the tags that have gotten attached to this now. "Troll", "Sexist Asshole", ect.

Proves my point; any male standing up for his gender and pointing out gender inequalities and sexist, manufactured societal norms (i.e. engagement rings) is SUCH an asshole and is holding all you POOR women down and oppressing you! Women have ZERO personal responsibility in their own oppression, oh no! It's all big, bad men's fault! Men aren't scapegoated as villains at all!