The second amendment

Eva

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 10:06 pm
You're right, roger. In their place, I wouldn't blame the police for overstating their case, either. I can see your point.

I'm always a little distrustful of any "debate" that tries to be perfectly objective. Wink We humans are not perfectly logical beings, and real life is always complicated by emotions and personal experiences. I was simply trying to interject a bit of humanity into the discussion. You are right, Thomas, joefromchicago and Acquiunk ARE having a good discussion and seem to be on the same wavelength. I shall go play elsewhere. Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:40 am
Eva wrote:
As to your question about whether the shopkeepers owned a gun affects their likelihood of being attacked...the lieutenant didn't address that exact question, but said that drawing a weapon when threatened always escalates the level of violence in a confrontation.

My way of thinking about it is that there are pluses and minuses to legal gun ownership. The plus is that predators are deterred when they know their prey is armed. The minuses are gun accidents and increased gun use by criminals. The question is whether the sum of all pluses outweighs the sum of all minuses or not. My problem with the police's argument is that it omits one potentially large plus.

Eva wrote:
I didn't exactly answer your questions, but that's the best I can do. Does it help?

Yes, it did.

Eva wrote:
Nevertheless, the gun went off and I lost half my hearing. Permanently, I'm afraid. My audiologist tells me he sees this all the time. If there are lots of other people going through what I'm going through simply because they were innocent bystanders, then that's another good reason I wish it was harder for people to get ahold of the damn things.

So do I! I'm sorry to hear about your hearing loss, and no, I don't remember reading about it earlier. I see where you're coming from, and my point is not that gun control is bad. The point I'm trying to make is that (1) it does make sense, (2) the Second Amendment refers to a right that was hedged from the beginning with qualifications like "Suitable to their condition", and "as allowed by law". So even if agree with the NRA on what the Second Amendment means, that still doesn't make gun control unconstitutional per se. So I am not against gun control. And if the Democrats proposed a new constitutional amendment pulling the Second Amendment's teeth, I'd probably be for it. I only object to trying to achieve policy goals by re-interpreting the constitutions because the amendment process is too hard.

Eva wrote:
I'm always a little distrustful of any "debate" that tries to be perfectly objective. We humans are not perfectly logical beings, and real life is always complicated by emotions and personal experiences. I was simply trying to interject a bit of humanity into the discussion. You are right, Thomas, joefromchicago and Acquiunk ARE having a good discussion and seem to be on the same wavelength. I shall go play elsewhere.

No no no! Please don't go play elsewhere! I liked your posts, and I, for one, would appreciate it if you stayed.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 08:33 am
Thomas wrote:
We may just have a semantics mismatch here. But I don't understand how the Supreme Court can start with the text itself, make an error interpreting it, and not depart from it by doing so.

Perhaps we do. Let me make my position clear: some people who advocate a "broad" interpretation of the Second Amendment (and other constitutional provisions) look beyond the text of the amendment for support. That's an acceptable practice when interpreting constitutional texts, but it is not acceptable to place those secondary sources on the same level as the constitutional text. In other words, examining contemporaneous state constitutions or the English Bill of Rights may provide useful guidance in interpreting the Second Amendment, but they are only that: instructive, not definitive.

I think you see a court's erroneous interpretation as a "departure" from the constitutional text. I, on the other hand, see a court ignoring the text as a "departure." There are many instances of the former, there are very few of the latter. On the other hand, amateur analysts frequently ignore, and thus depart from, the text of the constitution.

Thomas wrote:
Let me just explore this with some specific examples. Do you think it is not a stretch to say that a wiretap is not a search, so isn't protected by the Fourth Amendment, as the Supreme Court held in Olmstead vs. US? (Edit: Sorry, Ohlmstead wasn't decided by a New Deal court. My question is more directed to your earlier claim that 'the Supreme Court has rarely departed from the constitution'. )

Moreover, do you agree that when a farmer grows wheat and feeds it to his own paultry, he is sufficiently engaged in interstate commerce to be regulated under a clause saying "Congress shall have the power [...] To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes"? As you know, the Supreme Court answered this question affirmatively in Wickart vs. Filburn. It thereby established an unwritten quasi-rule that pretty much every law Congress might feel like passing can be construed as regulating interstate commerce, so the Commerce Clause makes the law constitutional by default. Never mind that this makes nonsense of the constitution enumerating the powers of the federal government, and of the tenth amendment affirming that the federal government has no other powers besides those enumerated.

As I pointed out above, I think we have very different views of what it means to "depart" from the constitutional text. I also have some reservations about Wickard (I'm not familiar with Olmstead so I won't comment on it). On the other hand, I don't think the Wickard court ignored the text of the commerce clause when it reached its decision. It may have been a stretch, but it wasn't a departure.

Thomas wrote:
I agree. My intended point was about how other documents affect the end of the interpretation, not the start of it.

And that's where we diverged.

Thomas wrote:
I agree that state constitutions, commentaries and such rank below the text of the constitution itself. But to make your argument in this paragraph work, you must be believing that Supreme Court interpretations are somehow on the same level as the constitutional text itself. Otherwise, we are simply comparing two sets of text that rank below the text of the constitution.

Practically speaking, supreme court interpretations are on the same level as the constitutional text. That's not because the supreme court is invariably correct in its interpretations, but because of the way the constitutional system works. The constitution is what the supreme court says it is because no one can say otherwise. Or, as Justice Robert Jackson once put it: "(w)e are not final because we are infallible, but we are infallible only because we are final."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 10:11 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Perhaps we do. Let me make my position clear: some people who advocate a "broad" interpretation of the Second Amendment (and other constitutional provisions) look beyond the text of the amendment for support.

That's interesting, because I wouldn't say my interpretation of the Second Amendment -- "an unconditional statement, preceded by an explanation of why it is there" -- is particularly broad. And one reason I like to refer to State constitutions is that they contain evidence for this opinion about broadness. In particular, they contain grammatically similar formulations of the right to free speech, which are clearly meant in that spirit. It's just evidence, not proof, but at least it shows that I'm not just pulling interpretations out of thin air in viewing the Second Amendment's grammatical structure the way I do. I can actually point to documents where the Founding Fathers used similar grammatical structure to express meanings anologous to how I read the Second Amendment.

joefromchicago wrote:
That's an acceptable practice when interpreting constitutional texts, but it is not acceptable to place those secondary sources on the same level as the constitutional text.

I think I see where you're coming from, but the problem is that the text of the Second Amendment isn't self-contained. It doesn't create a right to bear arms. Unlike "Congress shall have the power to ...", which creates and defines the powers of Congress, it doesn't say "The people shall have a right to ...". It says: "... the right of the people to ... shall not be infringed". The Second Amendment, rather than creating a right, refers to a previously defined right, "the right of the people to...", and merely states what shall happen to it: it "shall not be infringed". Therefore, even under a narrow interpretation, it is necessary to look for the definition elsewhere. And the English Bill of Rights, Blackstone, and pre-existing State constitutions are perfectly appropriate sources for the definition of the right. Other texts cited by Volokh matter for other reasons, but I think I've made my point well enough for now. Are we still on the same page, or are we having a semantics mismatch about "instructive" versus "definitive" now?

joefromchicago wrote:
On the other hand, I don't think the Wickard court ignored the text of the commerce clause when it reached its decision. It may have been a stretch, but it wasn't a departure.

I have two problems with this. First, the obvious one: To reach the result it did in Wickard, the Supreme Court in effect interpreted the word "commerce" to include production, and the phrase "between the states" to include "between the wheat field and the henhouse of the same farm". Granted, it's not quite as Orwellian as "war is peace". But to me, it's clearly a distortion disguised as an interpretation, and I don't like it, amateur or not. But even if I'd grant, for the sake of the discussion, that "'commerce' means production" is a legitimate interpretation, I still have a second problem. In this case, I'd grant you that the court didn't ignore the text of the commerce clause when it reached its decision, but object that it did ignore the constitution's concept that the federal government's powers are enumerated, which is implicit in the original constitution and explicitly reaffirmed in the tenth amendment. When someone effectively says: 'Congress has only the powers explicitly delegated to it -- but the Commerce Clause explicitly delegates pretty much every power Congress cares to have', that's ignoring the Tenth Amendment. And that's what the New Deal and the Great Society Supreme Courts did. And, to find the way back to the topic of the thread, I think the Supreme Court also tried to ignore the Second Amendment out of existence with all the rulings it didn't make despite the many opportunities over the 20th century that you mentioned earlier.

joefromchicago wrote:
Practically speaking, supreme court interpretations are on the same level as the constitutional text. That's not because the supreme court is invariably correct in its interpretations, but because of the way the constitutional system works.

I think we've reached the core of our mismatch here. You say "practically speaking" -- but practically speaking for whom? To you as a lawyer, Supreme Court locuta, causa finita is a guideline that makes perfect practical sense. In choosing your approach to your own cases, you must account for what the Supreme Court says, and what it ought to say is a purely theoretical matter. But to me as a citizen, this position doesn't make as much practical sense, because I have different decisions to make in my practice. I have to make decisions like whether to stay in America once I'm there or whether to go back to Germany; or, whether to picket the Supreme Court when someone thinks it made an outrageous decision; or, whether to help campaign against a particular Supreme Court candidate, and many other decisions like that. To make decisions like this, I have to pay attention to the discrepancies between what I think the Supreme Court ought to say and what it does say. I have to consider the politics of its decisions, not just the jurisprudence of them.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:48 pm
Thomas wrote:
That's interesting, because I wouldn't say my interpretation of the Second Amendment -- "an unconditional statement, preceded by an explanation of why it is there" -- is particularly broad.

I said "some people" who advocate a broad interpretation: I didn't say you were one of those people. In fact, I'm not quite sure what your interpretation is.

Thomas wrote:
And one reason I like to refer to State constitutions is that they contain evidence for this opinion about broadness. In particular, they contain grammatically similar formulations of the right to free speech, which are clearly meant in that spirit. It's just evidence, not proof, but at least it shows that I'm not just pulling interpretations out of thin air in viewing the Second Amendment's grammatical structure the way I do. I can actually point to documents where the Founding Fathers used similar grammatical structure to express meanings anologous to how I read the Second Amendment.

Actually, most of those constitutional provisions differ significantly from the text of the Second Amendment. But the starting place for any interpretation of the Second Amendment must be the text of the Second Amendment. It is only when text is ambiguous or unclear that courts can resort to extra-textual analysis.

Thomas wrote:
I think I see where you're coming from, but the problem is that the text of the Second Amendment isn't self-contained. It doesn't create a right to bear arms. Unlike "Congress shall have the power to ...", which creates and defines the powers of Congress, it doesn't say "The people shall have a right to ...". It says: "... the right of the people to ... shall not be infringed". The Second Amendment, rather than creating a right, refers to a previously defined right, "the right of the people to...", and merely states what shall happen to it: it "shall not be infringed". Therefore, even under a narrow interpretation, it is necessary to look for the definition elsewhere.

A rather clever way around the amendment, but it just isn't so.

If the right referred to in the Second Amendment was a right that was granted by various state constitutions (or by the English Bill of Rights), then people would have different federal constitutional rights, depending upon where they lived. That, however, is antithetical to the very nature of a constitutional system of rights.

Clearly, the drafters of the Second Amendment did not intend to protect the rights of Virginians differently from those of Pennsylvanians. Instead, the amendment protects a single, general right enjoyed by all citizens equally. The right, therefore, cannot be found in state constitutions: it must be found in the federal constitution itself.

Thomas wrote:
And the English Bill of Rights, Blackstone, and pre-existing State constitutions are perfectly appropriate sources for the definition of the right. Other texts cited by Volokh matter for other reasons, but I think I've made my point well enough for now. Are we still on the same page, or are we having a semantics mismatch about "instructive" versus "definitive" now?

No, I think we're beyond the semantic mismatch: I think we've arrived at a genuine disagreement.

Thomas wrote:
I have two problems with this. First, the obvious one: To reach the result it did in Wickard, the Supreme Court in effect interpreted the word "commerce" to include production, and the phrase "between the states" to include "between the wheat field and the henhouse of the same farm". Granted, it's not quite as Orwellian as "war is peace". But to me, it's clearly a distortion disguised as an interpretation, and I don't like it, amateur or not.

Why is "production" not "commerce?" If a business produces something, it is with the intention of placing into the stream of commerce. It's an artificial distinction to say that selling crops is commerce but growing them for eventual sale isn't.

Thomas wrote:
But even if I'd grant, for the sake of the discussion, that "'commerce' means production" is a legitimate interpretation, I still have a second problem. In this case, I'd grant you that the court didn't ignore the text of the commerce clause when it reached its decision, but object that it did ignore the constitution's concept that the federal government's powers are enumerated, which is implicit in the original constitution and explicitly reaffirmed in the tenth amendment. When someone effectively says: 'Congress has only the powers explicitly delegated to it -- but the Commerce Clause explicitly delegates pretty much every power Congress cares to have', that's ignoring the Tenth Amendment. And that's what the New Deal and the Great Society Supreme Courts did.

The court may have gone too far in interpreting the commerce clause broadly in the post-Schechter period. On the other hand, the court interpreted the commerce clause rather narrowly before the New Deal. Fortunately, I think the court has reached a much more balanced view of the commerce clause in the past twenty years.

Thomas wrote:
And, to find the way back to the topic of the thread, I think the Supreme Court also tried to ignore the Second Amendment out of existence with all the rulings it didn't make despite the many opportunities over the 20th century that you mentioned earlier.

I'm not following you here. You're criticizing the decisions that the supreme court didn't make?

Thomas wrote:
I think we've reached the core of our mismatch here. You say "practically speaking" -- but practically speaking for whom? To you as a lawyer, Supreme Court locuta, causa finita is a guideline that makes perfect practical sense. In choosing your approach to your own cases, you must account for what the Supreme Court says, and what it ought to say is a purely theoretical matter. But to me as a citizen, this position doesn't make as much practical sense, because I have different decisions to make in my practice.

Apart from obeying the law, what decisions do you have to make that are affected by the supreme court?

Thomas wrote:
I have to make decisions like whether to stay in America once I'm there or whether to go back to Germany; or, whether to picket the Supreme Court when someone thinks it made an outrageous decision; or, whether to help campaign against a particular Supreme Court candidate, and many other decisions like that. To make decisions like this, I have to pay attention to the discrepancies between what I think the Supreme Court ought to say and what it does say. I have to consider the politics of its decisions, not just the jurisprudence of them.

But these are all political questions. At most, you are expressing prudential concerns, not jurisprudential ones.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 06:46 am
joefromchicago wrote:
In fact, I'm not quite sure what your interpretation is.

Well, some might find my full interpretation prohibitively boring to read, but since you tempted me ... Wink

The constitution was written with the understanding that people have rights, and that governments are instituted among men to secure these rights. At the time the constitution and the Bill of Rights were written, Americans had a clear common understanding of what those rights were. The understanding was reflected in the English Bill of Rights and the English Common Law, both of which where the law of the land when the Constitution was written. This commmon understanding derived from that basis was so clear to the people of the time -- with a few specific exceptions such as slavery -- that The Federalist Papers could persuasively argue that writing down those rights wouldn't be worth the trouble. In other words, when the Second Amendment referred to "the right of the people to hold and bear arms", Americans of 1789 intuitively understood what the right was, and didn't need a definition for it.

Over the last 215 years, our intuitions have changed, and we can no longer rely on intuition to determine what right the authors of the Second Amendment referred to. But we can still rely on those contemporary sources that documented the common understanding of the time. And we have to rely on them because the Second Amendment refers to a pre-existing right without defining it anew.

As it turns out, these sources give a pretty consistent picture of how the right to hold and bear arms was understood when the Founders wrote the Second Amendment. It is clear, from these sources and from the language of the Bill of Rights itself, that was understood as an individual right, not a State right. It is reasonably clear that it is a right to hold and bear arms both in and outside the militia. The English Bill of Rights, Blackstone and some State constitutions explicitly say so, other State Constitutions don't explicitly protect the right outside of the militia, but don't explicitly deny it either. It is also clear from the sources that this right never applied to all arms that people might want to bear and hold. ("suitable to their conditions, and as allowed by law.") On the face of it, these qualifications seem consistent with a significant amount of modern gun safety regulation.

All this also tries to address your claim that "it just isn't so". Replace "previously defined" rights with "previously existing rights" if you wish, but I stand by the substance of my interpretation.

joefromchicago wrote:
Why is "production" not "commerce?" If a business produces something, it is with the intention of placing into the stream of commerce. It's an artificial distinction to say that selling crops is commerce but growing them for eventual sale isn't.

But Mr. Filburn hadn't grown the wheat in question with the intention of selling it. He had grown it with the intention of feeding it to his hens and selling the hens. By doing so, he engaged in wheat production and poultry production. Following your reasoning, I can grant you that he was engaged in poultry commerce. But insofar as he grew the wheat to feed his hens, he cannot reasonably be interpreted as having engaged in wheat commerce -- as the Supreme Court did.

joefromchicago wrote:
On the other hand, the court interpreted the commerce clause rather narrowly before the New Deal. Fortunately, I think the court has reached a much more balanced view of the commerce clause in the past twenty years.

Rather more narrowly than during and after the New Deal, but still more broadly than the interpretation under which the Federalist Papers advertised the constitution to the people, and under which the States accepted it. But I agree the past 20 years have moved things in the right direction.

joefromchicago wrote:
I'm not following you here. You're criticizing the decisions that the supreme court didn't make? [...]

Apart from obeying the law, what decisions do you have to make that are affected by the supreme court? [...]

But these are all political questions. At most, you are expressing prudential concerns, not jurisprudential ones.

Not to get ad hominem on you, but I gather from these questions that you haven't spent much time reading any of the communist pre-1989 constitutions of East European countries. The surprising thing about them is how normal they read. Apart from a few rhetorical cowtows to the glory of the working class, they might as well be West European constitutions. They have bills of rights, free elections, open trials, you name it. The difference was that West European courts protected these constitutions and West European legislatives and executives implemented them. East European institutions didn't -- but the constitutions themselves were okay.

So yes, you can eliminate fundamental rights by ignoring them, refusing to rule on them, or 'interpreting' them to mean the opposite of how everybody else understands the language, and by dismissing citizens who object as amateurs at best, fanatics at worst. Not to say that the Supreme Court is even close to communist Eastern Europe in this regard, but yes, I do think that the Supreme Courts decisions to rule on only one Second Amendment case in the whole 20th century has had the effect of eroding that right.

As for the decisions I have to make, the most important I have in mind is the decision to revolt against government institutions that are supposed to protect what the constitution says, but instead protect what they think the constitution ought to say, and who turn the constitution upside-down under the pretense of interpreting it. While the decision to revolt is always a political one, the decision to revolt for this reason involves jurisprudential judgment on my part. It lies in the nature of the matter that I can't rely on the Supreme Court as gospel in forming my own jurisprudential judgment.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:31 am
Thomas wrote:
Well, some might find my full interpretation prohibitively boring to read, but since you tempted me ... Wink

I always enjoy reading your posts, Thomas.

Thomas wrote:
The constitution was written with the understanding that people have rights, and that governments are instituted among men to secure these rights. At the time the constitution and the Bill of Rights were written, Americans had a clear common understanding of what those rights were. The understanding was reflected in the English Bill of Rights and the English Common Law, both of which where the law of the land when the Constitution was written. This commmon understanding derived from that basis was so clear to the people of the time -- with a few specific exceptions such as slavery -- that The Federalist Papers could persuasively argue that writing down those rights wouldn't be worth the trouble. In other words, when the Second Amendment referred to "the right of the people to hold and bear arms", Americans of 1789 intuitively understood what the right was, and didn't need a definition for it.

Perhaps.

Thomas wrote:
Over the last 215 years, our intuitions have changed, and we can no longer rely on intuition to determine what right the authors of the Second Amendment referred to. But we can still rely on those contemporary sources that documented the common understanding of the time. And we have to rely on them because the Second Amendment refers to a pre-existing right without defining it anew.

Well, not quite. The Second Amendment doesn't only refer to the right: it also refers to the reason why the right is protected from congressional interference.

Thomas wrote:
As it turns out, these sources give a pretty consistent picture of how the right to hold and bear arms was understood when the Founders wrote the Second Amendment.

Not so. The state constitutions define the right differently, and the English Bill of Rights differs from all of them. Are you saying that the drafters of the Second Amendment understood the right to bear arms the same way that Massachusetts did ("The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence") and Rhode Island did ("The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed") and Virginia did ("That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power")? How do these differing provisions describe the same right?

Thomas wrote:
It is clear, from these sources and from the language of the Bill of Rights itself, that was understood as an individual right, not a State right.

So when the Virginia constitution referred to the dangers of standing armies and the need for a militia to provide for the common defense, that was an unambiguous grant of an individual right?

Thomas wrote:
It is reasonably clear that it is a right to hold and bear arms both in and outside the militia. The English Bill of Rights, Blackstone and some State constitutions explicitly say so, other State Constitutions don't explicitly protect the right outside of the militia, but don't explicitly deny it either. It is also clear from the sources that this right never applied to all arms that people might want to bear and hold. ("suitable to their conditions, and as allowed by law.") On the face of it, these qualifications seem consistent with a significant amount of modern gun safety regulation.

Well, in the case of the English Bill of Rights, it would seem that the qualifications would be consistent with a total ban on gun ownership (which is practically the case today in the UK).

Thomas wrote:
All this also tries to address your claim that "it just isn't so". Replace "previously defined" rights with "previously existing rights" if you wish, but I stand by the substance of my interpretation.

There was no "previously existing right" to keep and bear arms, at least as to a previously existing federal right defined in any document or charter (except perhaps the English Bill of Rights, which, as I mentioned above, doesn't really confer much of a right at all).

Thomas wrote:
But Mr. Filburn hadn't grown the wheat in question with the intention of selling it. He had grown it with the intention of feeding it to his hens and selling the hens. By doing so, he engaged in wheat production and poultry production. Following your reasoning, I can grant you that he was engaged in poultry commerce. But insofar as he grew the wheat to feed his hens, he cannot reasonably be interpreted as having engaged in wheat commerce -- as the Supreme Court did.

Suffice it to say that I don't altogether agree. But we have reached the point, I think, where I'll have to defer any response to a separate thread on the modern commerce clause.

Thomas wrote:
Not to get ad hominem on you, but I gather from these questions that you haven't spent much time reading any of the communist pre-1989 constitutions of East European countries.

Oddly enough, I have read a few.

Thomas wrote:
The surprising thing about them is how normal they read. Apart from a few rhetorical cowtows to the glory of the working class, they might as well be West European constitutions.

Not quite. Most of the rights protected under the pre-1989 constitutions are filled with caveats and provisos that are absent from the American constitution. For instance, compare the 1977 Soviet constitution's provision on freedom of speech:
    Article 50 [Expression] (1) In accordance with the interests of the people and in order to strengthen and develop the socialist system, citizens of the USSR are guaranteed freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly, meetings, street processions and demonstrations.
with the US constitution's First Amendment:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Note that the Soviet constitution, much like the wording of the Second Amendment, lists the reasons why the right is protected. And in the Soviet case, the rationale always set the contours of the right: a Soviet citizen simply was not allowed any free speech at all unless it "strengthened and developed the socialist system."

In this respect, the Soviet constitution bears a much closer resemblance to the English Bill of Rights, which stated:
    That the subjects which are protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law
Obviously, it was up to parliament to decide what arms are "suitable" to the people's conditions, just as it was up to the Soviet leadership to determine what types of expression "strengthened and developed the socialist system."

Thomas wrote:
They have bills of rights, free elections, open trials, you name it. The difference was that West European courts protected these constitutions and West European legislatives and executives implemented them. East European institutions didn't -- but the constitutions themselves were okay.

Western European constitutions have, I think, more in common with the Soviet-type constitutions than does the US constitution. For instance, the German Grundgesetz also limits freedom of expression:
    Article 5 (Freedom of expression). 1. Everyone has the right freely to express and to disseminate his opinion by speech, writing and pictures and freely to inform himself from generally accessible sources. Freedom of the press and freedom of reporting by radio and motion pictures are guaranteed. There shall be no censorship. 2. These rights are limited by the provisions of the general laws, the provisions of law for the protection of youth and by the right to inviolability of personal honor.
There is nothing similar to clause 2 in the US constitution's First Amendment.

Thomas wrote:
So yes, you can eliminate fundamental rights by ignoring them, refusing to rule on them, or 'interpreting' them to mean the opposite of how everybody else understands the language, and by dismissing citizens who object as amateurs at best, fanatics at worst. Not to say that the Supreme Court is even close to communist Eastern Europe in this regard, but yes, I do think that the Supreme Courts decisions to rule on only one Second Amendment case in the whole 20th century has had the effect of eroding that right.

Not to get all ad hominem on you, Thomas, but I gather from this that you don't have much familiarity with the process of "incorporation" of the Bill of Rights. The supreme court has not ruled on the Second Amendment because there has been no reason to rule on it: since the amendment does not apply to the states (having never been "incorporated" into the Fourteenth Amendment"), various state efforts to enact gun legislation do not implicate any Second Amendment rights. Indeed, a state could outlaw private gun ownership completely and not run afoul of the Second Amendment. And the federal government has done so little to restrict gun ownership that there simply have been very few cases to test the limits of the amendment.

Thomas wrote:
As for the decisions I have to make, the most important I have in mind is the decision to revolt against government institutions that are supposed to protect what the constitution says, but instead protect what they think the constitution ought to say, and who turn the constitution upside-down under the pretense of interpreting it. While the decision to revolt is always a political one, the decision to revolt for this reason involves jurisprudential judgment on my part. It lies in the nature of the matter that I can't rely on the Supreme Court as gospel in forming my own jurisprudential judgment.

I thought we got rid of all the German revolutionaries plotting to overthrow the US government after the Haymarket trial.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:15 pm
Just to fall back to the original bone being chewed here, the first clause of this amendment--A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State . . . is often ignored or opening discounted by proponents of unregulated gun ownership. But a portion of Joe's quote above recalls this to my mind.

Our Joe from the Windy City wrote:
That the subjects which are protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law [quoting the "English Bill of Rights"] . . .

Note the word "protestant." Catholics were not allowed to participate in the militia. Further, by act of Parliament, participation was restricted on property qualifications, much as was the very limited franchis which obtained until late in the 19th century. Rembrant's painting of the members of a Dutch militia company further illustrates the point that on the continent as well as in England, the militia was private club of propertied men, and as often as not, functioned, when it functioned at all, to suppress popular sentiment among those below the qualification threshhold. Guaranteeing the right of participation in the militia protected the people at large from such a form of oppression.

Furthermore, the rather vague wording "well regulated" leaves up in the air the question of what constitutes such regulation. The constitution gives to Congress the power to provide for the arming of the militia and to prescribe their training, reserving to the states the appointment of it's officers. Although i know of no legal test which has been made, it seems clear to me that proponents of unrestricted gun ownership want to ignore both the first clause of this amendment, and the power granted Congress to provide for arming the militia. Usually, the supporters of the gun lobby have as a hidden agenda, and as ofen as not, an overt agenda: their access to fire arms to protect themselves from government. Apart from the ludicrous notion of individuals relying upon Smith and Wesson to provide them the means to opposed a heavily armed and experienced police force, the militia, even when well organized, have proven themselves historically to be unreliable as a military force. The few examples of their useful service (the seige of Boston and the second battle of Saratoga) are exceptions which prove the rule.

In short, a debate of this amendment's meaning and current validity is a red herring for what is essentially an appeal outside the law to a right not guaranteed--unrestricted gun ownership.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:18 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Not so. The state constitutions define the right differently, and the English Bill of Rights differs from all of them. [...] How do these differing provisions describe the same right?

By not construing the absence of one specific provision in a State's bill of rights to mean that the right isn't protected. The moral equivalent of the Ninth Amendment, applied to all these documents.

I have a history question though: When the Virginian and the federal bills of rights were passed, did contemporary jurisprudence see them as narrowing the scope of the right Americans had had under the English Bill of Rights? When the Pensylvanian constitution of 1776 said "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state", did contemporary jurisprudence see it as creating a right that hadn't been there before? If I saw evidence that the answer to the former is "no" and the answer to the latter is "yes", that would convince me that you are right and I am wrong. But for the moment, I continue to assume that the State- and Federal constitutions are more or less independent attempts to codify a right that was "out there" in the form of customs, Common Law precedences, statutes, and adherence to the old English Bill of Right -- which was still the law of the land when those constitutions were written, and which wasn't seen as being invalidated by the new bills of rights as far as I know.

joefromchicago wrote:
Not to get all ad hominem on you, Thomas, but I gather from this that you don't have much familiarity with the process of "incorporation" of the Bill of Rights. The supreme court has not ruled on the Second Amendment because there has been no reason to rule on it: since the amendment does not apply to the states (having never been "incorporated" into the Fourteenth Amendment"), various state efforts to enact gun legislation do not implicate any Second Amendment rights.

Oddly enough, I had familiarized myself with the concept about half a year ago, by following a link you yourself had posted to this very thread. As I recall what I gathered from surfing legal reference web sites back then, the Supreme Court adopted the doctrine of incorporation mostly in the 20th century, and it never ruled on the question whether or not the Second Amendment was among the rights incorporated during that time. It seems to me that you are confusing cause and effect here. As far as the Supreme Court is concerned, the Second Amendment isn't fully incorporated because the court hasn't taken any second Amendment case since 1937 -- not the other way round.

Setanta wrote:
Usually, the supporters of the gun lobby have as a hidden agenda, and as ofen as not, an overt agenda: their access to fire arms to protect themselves from government.

But notice that this agenda is consistent with a lot of scholarly, non-zealot literature from the time America's constitution was written. Obvious examples include Blackstone and Adam Smith's discussion of militias in "The Wealth of Nations". Blackstone explicitly notes that one purpose of the right to bear arms is to protect people's rights against tyrannical governments. Adam Smith, noting that England had suffered two military coups during the century before he wrote, considered citizen militias to be a safeguard against tyrannical governments relying on standing armies. He was as pessimistic as you are about their ability to protect against invasions, but was willing to pay that as a price for a free society. I agree the right to bear arms is outdated, but I do believe that the gun nuts have America's founding fathers on their side and we don't.

Setanta wrote:
the ludicrous notion of individuals relying upon Smith and Wesson to provide them the means to opposed a heavily armed and experienced police force

... on the face of it, strikes me as no more ludicrous than the notion of individuals relying on sit-ins, peaceful demonstrations and extensive media coverage to provide them with the means to oppose a heavily armed and experienced police force. Ludicrous or not, the latter notion worked spectacularly well in Eastern Europe in 1989/90, barely failed in China in 1989, and appears to be working in Ukraine as we write. (Fingers crossed.)

Setanta wrote:
In short, a debate of this amendment's meaning and current validity is a red herring for what is essentially an appeal outside the law to a right not guaranteed--unrestricted gun ownership.

On this point, I generally agree. It often is.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:44 am
Regarding your signature line, Thomas, have you then read Twain's description of the language in "A Tramp Abroad"?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
Roger -- yes I have. "The awful German language" is an excerpt from that book. It's a speech he gave to some German language association here in Munich. Ironically, he gave the speech in German, a German so fluent and eloquent it probably shamed many of his native-speaking listeners.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:22 am
Thomas wrote:
By not construing the absence of one specific provision in a State's bill of rights to mean that the right isn't protected. The moral equivalent of the Ninth Amendment, applied to all these documents.

Well, perhaps they refer to the same right, but they certainly don't describe the same limits placed upon the legislature. As such, they are of somewhat limited value as guidance for an interpretation of the Second Amendment's limit on congress.

Thomas wrote:
I have a history question though: When the Virginian and the federal bills of rights were passed, did contemporary jurisprudence see them as narrowing the scope of the right Americans had had under the English Bill of Rights? When the Pensylvanian constitution of 1776 said "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state", did contemporary jurisprudence see it as creating a right that hadn't been there before? If I saw evidence that the answer to the former is "no" and the answer to the latter is "yes", that would convince me that you are right and I am wrong. But for the moment, I continue to assume that the State- and Federal constitutions are more or less independent attempts to codify a right that was "out there" in the form of customs, Common Law precedences, statutes, and adherence to the old English Bill of Right -- which was still the law of the land when those constitutions were written, and which wasn't seen as being invalidated by the new bills of rights as far as I know.

To answer your history question, I believe that your interpretation is correct: these were attempts to place limits on the legislatures' ability to restrict rights that were already "out there" in some form rather than attempts to create rights.

Where those rights came from in the first place, however, is an open question. Clearly the colonists believed that, as English citizens, they enjoyed the same rights as any freeborn Englishman. They also were heavily influenced by natural rights theorists such as John Locke, who obviously did not rely upon a man's nationality in determining what rights he might have. So it's not at all clear whether the American colonists were relying specifically on the unwritten British constitution (including the English Bill of Rights and the Magna Carta, among other documents) or whether they were relying upon some notion of "natural rights" when they were writing their constitutions.

In looking at this question, it should also be remembered that the colonists had a rather more expansive view of "English rights" than many Englishmen had at the time. An obvious example is the colonial demand of "no taxation without representation." Considering that the vast majority of men in England lacked any kind of representation, it was rather presumptuous of the colonists to insist on a level of representation exceeding that of the mother country.

Likewise, the colonists clearly had a more expansive view of the right to bear arms than the one embodied in the English Bill of Rights. Unlike the English Bill of Rights, none of the state constitutions mentions anything about the right to bear arms being subject to one's "conditions" (quite likely an acknowledgment that persons of rank would be permitted more "noble" weapons, such as swords and pistols). Similarly, few if any restrict the right solely to Protestants.

Thomas wrote:
Oddly enough, I had familiarized myself with the concept about half a year ago, by following a link you yourself had posted to this very thread. As I recall what I gathered from surfing legal reference web sites back then, the Supreme Court adopted the doctrine of incorporation mostly in the 20th century, and it never ruled on the question whether or not the Second Amendment was among the rights incorporated during that time. It seems to me that you are confusing cause and effect here. As far as the Supreme Court is concerned, the Second Amendment isn't fully incorporated because the court hasn't taken any second Amendment case since 1937 -- not the other way round.

A fair point, but I'm not sure what the practical effect of it is. The supreme court has had opportunities to address the issue since 1937, but it has never accepted any of them. The court's silence, therefore, has had the same effect as an explicit refusal to incorporate the Second Amendment, since non-incorporation is still the "default" for rights mentioned in the Bill of Rights (e.g. there has been no case determining whether the Third Amendment has been incorporated, so we can assume, for the moment, that the right not to have soldiers stationed in private homes remains unincorporated).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:20 pm
Thomas wrote:
But notice that this agenda is consistent with a lot of scholarly, non-zealot literature from the time America's constitution was written. Obvious examples include Blackstone and Adam Smith's discussion of militias in "The Wealth of Nations". Blackstone explicitly notes that one purpose of the right to bear arms is to protect people's rights against tyrannical governments. Adam Smith, noting that England had suffered two military coups during the century before he wrote, considered citizen militias to be a safeguard against tyrannical governments relying on standing armies. He was as pessimistic as you are about their ability to protect against invasions, but was willing to pay that as a price for a free society. I agree the right to bear arms is outdated, but I do believe that the gun nuts have America's founding fathers on their side and we don't.

I would point out both that the "gun nuts" (a term i will not again use, as it smacks of ad hominem) claim to have the "founding fathers" on their side, and in so saying ignore several things. They ignore the historical context in which so many state legislatures agreed that the constitution were unacceptable without amendment, and that among those amendments, was one which was drafted by their representatives met in Congress, and which is not Jefferson's Virginia militia ordnance, and which eschews the tone and tenor of that, and many other more extreme statements of what 18th century American political thinkers believed about a militia. It ignores Shays' rebellion and a host of simliar events, which preceded the amendment of the constitution, and in which a body of armed men representing what was demonstrably a minority of public sentiment challenged the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, as other states were challenged, in arms. It matters little what Adam Smith thought, nor Jefferson nor any other who was not a part of the first Congress which drafter the amendment, thereafter duly ratified (it is the second amendment because it was more rapidly ratified than any other amendment--except that of freedom of speech, the press, of religious conviction and disestablishment, and free assembly--it was in fact the fourth amendment proposed). I rather doubt that you could make a case that the actual drafters of this amendment held with the statement oft attributed to Jefferson that the Tree of Liberty needed frequent watering with the blood of Patriots. I rather doubt that you could make the case, and believe i can make a strong case, that those who in fact proposed the amendment sought more than anything to put a term, and a just one, to the public bearing of arms. The "battles" of Lexington and Concord degenerated into a running gun battle between an armed mob of thousands, and a few hundred Royal Marines and Foot, in the wooded hills between Concord and Boston. It is a reasonable statement that those who did such damage to the English did not represent majority sentiment of the people at the time. Revolutions tend to find rather quick ends when a middle class achieves their goal, as they want to ratify and make permanent the change they have achieved, and therefore prove inimical to the perpetuation of revolutionary change. The Directory in France is an example. Stalin's "purge" of the "Kulaks" is an example of a crafty and vile leader assuring that no such stake in private enterprise would arise among the peasantry of his benighted nation. I completely reject a characterization of the majority of American political leaders in 1789 supporting so extreme a concept as that of every citizen armed as liked him best and publicly bearing said arms without let or stop. I don't buy that.

Relentless Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:
the ludicrous notion of individuals relying upon Smith and Wesson to provide them the means to opposed a heavily armed and experienced police force

... on the face of it, strikes me as no more ludicrous than the notion of individuals relying on sit-ins, peaceful demonstrations and extensive media coverage to provide them with the means to oppose a heavily armed and experienced police force. Ludicrous or not, the latter notion worked spectacularly well in Eastern Europe in 1989/90, barely failed in China in 1989, and appears to be working in Ukraine as we write. (Fingers crossed.)

Sit-ins first appeared in the United States in the automotive industry when Ford's workmen opposed him. They were met with and dispersed with murderous armed force, assisted by the regularly established police forces. Such practices along with many other objectionable "policing" methods are no longer tolerated, and those who practice civil disobedience do not present a clear and present danger (to use Holmes' apt term) of physical harm or death to the heavily armed police. Even in socialist countries before 1991 (and one might even suggest, especially in socialist nations), the police cannot respond with force, or must allege and at the least fraudulently demonstrate a threat of armed violence to have resort to arms themselves. If the Michigan Militia ever tries to take Detroit, not only will they find much of the citizenry as heavily armed as themselves, but they'll find a police force with a great deal more experience of fire arm violence, and one from which all constraints against violence will have been removed upon their appearance in arms. Apple to oranges . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:36 am
Setanta wrote:
It matters little what Adam Smith thought

Except that he was a professor of moral philosophy at the University of Glasgow and gave lectures on jurisprudence for a living there. Hence, he presumably knew what he was talking about. Other than that, I agree his opinion doesn't matter.

Setanta wrote:
I rather doubt that you could make a case that the actual drafters of this amendment held with the statement oft attributed to Jefferson that the Tree of Liberty needed frequent watering with the blood of Patriots.

I agree about Jefferson and the blood. But it's easy to make the case that the actual drafters did feel rather strongly about protecting "the rights of Englishmen", strongly enough to start a revolution to protect them against the English crown with armed force. These rights of Englishmen, according to Blackstone's then-authoritative Commentaries on the subject, included the right "of having arms for their defence, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law." As to where this right fits in with the other rights of Englishmen, Blackstone's Commentaries state that it "is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression." According to the Commentaries, it was a procedural right, on the same level as the right to trial by jury and the right to petition the king. The American revolution itself was seen by the founding fathers as an act of Englishmen excercising that right, in the very same spirit Blackstone had sketched out.

Given this background, you can accuse the modern American militia movement of forgetting the language about "due restrictions" and "suitable to their conditions". But you would be wrong to accuse them of distorting the core idea behind the right to hold and bear arms. The right of Englishmen to have arms, as it understood in the times of the American founding fathers, was intended as one defense of people's lives, liberty and property against government oppression.

Setanta wrote:
I completely reject a characterization of the majority of American political leaders in 1789 supporting so extreme a concept as that of every citizen armed as liked him best and publicly bearing said arms without let or stop. I don't buy that.

I think you're right not to buy that. But the issue is not whether America's political leaders wanted every citizen armed, any more than they wanted every citizen to own a printing press. The issue is whether they wanted every citizen to have a right to be armed, and to have a right to own a printing press -- which is an entirely different matter.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:28 pm
Re: Second Amendment Poll
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
So you'd agree that an individual's right to bear arms is tied to the state's interest in maintaining a militia, right?

No.

But I'd agree that an individual's right to bear arms is tied to the militia itself.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your distinction. Please explain.

The right is about the individual's interest in being in the militia.

I suppose that indirectly it is related to the state's interest in the militia, because the reason the Framers explicitly protected the individual's interest was because by doing so they would protect the militia itself. But the state's interest is not really a factor in determining the scope of the right.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:43 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
The problem with the Second Amendment is the cultural environment it was drafted in.

Why is that a problem?

Acquiunk wrote:
The 18th century simply had a much different and lackadaisical attitude towards who owned what kind of weapon. My favorite example is an iron foundry in Stafford Connecticut that was stuck with a number of cannon at the end of the American revolution when the government (state) canceled their contract. They simply advertised them for sale in the local newspaper.

What's wrong with cannons? They are legal to own even today.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:47 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Thomas wrote:
right institutions to appeal to are legislatures and ballots, not the court

The problem here is taht if left to that nothing will happen.

I for one don't see that as a problem.

We don't want our rights to be repealed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:50 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
On the other hand, amateur analysts frequently ignore, and thus depart from, the text of the constitution.

My general view is that if an interpretation does not reflect *both* the text *and* the supporting documents that illustrate the intent of the text, then the interpretation is incorrect.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 04:57 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
If the right referred to in the Second Amendment was a right that was granted by various state constitutions (or by the English Bill of Rights), then people would have different federal constitutional rights, depending upon where they lived.

Unless the state constitutions all refer to the same right that was created in the English Bill of Rights (which I contend is the case).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 05:05 pm
oralloy wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
If the right referred to in the Second Amendment was a right that was granted by various state constitutions (or by the English Bill of Rights), then people would have different federal constitutional rights, depending upon where they lived.

Unless the state constitutions all refer to the same right that was created in the English Bill of Rights (which I contend is the case).

Oops. That quote was from "joefromchicago" (as I have in this corrected version) not "Thomas".
0 Replies