The second amendment

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:54 pm
Obviously Joe from Chi-town has never been hunting. Ban semi-autos? For what reason? That is an absurd statement even coming from as far left as Joe.

People drown every day. I think we should ban water.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
Then I was confused by
Quote:

emclean wrote:
Why ban full-autos? The only murder with a legal owned full-auto was by a cop.

You asked it and answered it emclean.

what does this mean ?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 02:13 pm
What it means is that if there was only one "legal" murder as you claim this is the predictable result of the fact that most full auto weapons are illegal.

Similar to how all murders are illegal. The very definition of the act is what the stat would describe and not some societal tendency.

For example, if one were to outlaw almost all the aspirin pills you could immediately claim that very little legal aspirin is used.

It's a stat that describes the legality and not much else.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 02:20 pm
It helps to illustrate that some one that is willing to go through all the trouble and expense of getting a full-auto legally, is unlikely to use it in a crime.
There is no “legal murder”, it was a full-auto, in a cop’s hand, when the only murder was commuted with a legal full auto.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 02:56 pm
emclean,

Do you think it's possible that it might just illustrate that there are very few legal full autos out there?

fishin' quoted a figure of about 1500 and said it includes museums and such. I didn't check it but fishin's figures are usually correct.

So what I'm saying is that the "one murder" statistic might simply be a result of said restrictions, just like there's no "legal muder" simply on the basis of muder being illegal by its nature.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 03:42 pm
Do you have any idea of the number of legally owned handguns used in murders? Of the number of longarms? I do not know.

I do know the number of full-autos used for murder. The statistic was in response to joefromchicago's statement.
Quote:
believe that regulations on gun shows should be tightened. I believe that limits on gun purchases are worthwhile. I believe that automatic and semi-automatic weapons should be banned entirely.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 03:57 pm
This is my shotgun. Joe would make this illegal (because it's a semo-auto). This design has been around for 100 years.

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976448827-1.jpg
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 03:58 pm
Nemind emclean. The point I was trying to make was about logic and not necessarily about guns. I'll not press it further.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 04:37 pm
joe would simi-auto also include any repeating arm? or just those that rechamber a round with out help?
0 Replies

Onebgg

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:45 pm
Test:
0 Replies

Onebgg

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:09 pm
Onebgg
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:27 pm
You are the first to call me on that; I managed to loose the last option
I wanted to list "the 2nd means what is written"
0 Replies

Onebgg

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:40 pm
Thanks & Good Luck Here!
Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:18 pm
emclean wrote:
Why can the state limit one right and not another?

States do it all the time. That's what states do.

emclean wrote:
Would it be ok for your mayor to restrict use of the term "migs field"?

We don't get too many "MIGs" flying around here. You must mean "Meigs" Field.

emclean wrote:
And are you familiar with this?
Quote:
SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the
individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed.

Nope. But if I were interested in learning more about it, I know who I'd contact.

emclean wrote:
joe would simi-auto also include any repeating arm? or just those that rechamber a round with out help?

A semiautomatic weapon is one that uses the energy from firing to eject the empty case and load the next cartridge.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:29 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Obviously Joe from Chi-town has never been hunting.

Quite right. It's not that I have any philosophical or moral objections to killing God's creatures; indeed, I am all in favor of killing more of the tastier members of the animal kingdom. No, it's just that I hate being outdoors. If God had intended man to spend all day out in the wilderness, stalking and killing prey, He wouldn't have invented HVAC systems and pizza delivery.

cjhsa wrote:
Ban semi-autos? For what reason? That is an absurd statement even coming from as far left as Joe.

I didn't know I was located on the far left.

cjhsa wrote:
People drown every day. I think we should ban water.

It'll never happen. Too many Republicans own water-bottling companies.

cjhsa wrote:
This is my shotgun. Joe would make this illegal (because it's a semo-auto). This design has been around for 100 years.

Sadly, yes, cjhsa, you will have to give up your beloved shotgun. And I would consider it an honor, as well as a pleasure, to pry it from your cold, dead hands.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:30 pm
emclean wrote:
You are the first to call me on that; I managed to loose the last option
I wanted to list "the 2nd means what is written"

Emclean - you can fix that.

Go to your first post - click edit.

This will take you into where you can change the poll - (actually, this may not work now, but it is worth a try).

If it does, replace the option you wished to have, then submit the OPTION, not the whole post. Then submit the whole post.

It may not work, cos I think changing polls might no longer be possible.

May I add that your last option, as you state it here, would, I believe, be illogical, since it begs the entire question!!!

Also, I believe you mentioned something about gun control advocates and flag burning early inthe thread?

What has one to do with the other, or do you believe they are on the same gene?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:31 pm
Oops - beg your pardon - about the question begging - I thought you were asking a different question.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:53 pm
There are no choices for those who think that there should be fewer restrictions, or that the government should not infringe on anyone's right to keep and bear whatever arms they deem necessary to preserve and defend their security and freedom.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:43 am
Quote:
emclean wrote:
Would it be ok for your mayor to restrict use of the term "migs field"?

We don't get too many "MIGs" flying around here. You must mean "Meigs" Field.

so you would be ok with it, spelling Mistakes not withstanding.

Quote:
emclean wrote:
And are you familiar with this?
Quote:
SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the
individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed.

Nope. But if I were interested in learning more about it, I know who I'd contact.

YOUR state Constution.

Quote:
emclean wrote:

A semiautomatic weapon is one that uses the energy from firing to eject the empty case and load the next cartridge.

can you explain why my semi-automatic .22 is more dangerous than a 12Ga shotgun that will fire as fart as I pump?
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:45 am
Quote:
There are no choices for those who think that there should be fewer restrictions, or that the government should not infringe on anyone's right to keep and bear whatever arms they deem necessary to preserve and defend their security and freedom.

I know I made a mistake when I set up this poll; it was not till yesterday anyone called me on it.
0 Replies