William Hogarth - please help identify and find a painting

craneik

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 10:04 am
Hello I am looking for some info (anything legit) about a painting from William Hogarth. It should be a mirror copy of this painting with different colours:
Surgeon Tending the Foot of an Old Man by David Teniers

I am not able to google a single thing about it just generall stuff like that Hogarth was influenced by Teniers etc etc but not a picture, not a note about this picture.

Thanks for any input
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,078 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 10:43 am
@craneik,
I think, it could be one painting/etching of the Marriage à la Mode series.

At least, such is mentioned here.
(That said edging - "Death of the countess - is at the Museum of Art, Savannah College of Art and Design)
craneik

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 11:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
thanks you very much for an effort but it is not..
Marriage à la Mode is a serie of 6 pictures, all I can find anywhere
This should be a mirror copy of this picture

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Surgeon-Tending-the-Foot-of-an-Old-Man-Posters_i4054068_.htm
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 02:56 am
@craneik,
craneik wrote:
Hello I am looking for some info (anything legit) about a painting from William Hogarth. It should be a mirror copy of this painting with different colours:
Surgeon Tending the Foot of an Old Man by David Teniers

How do you know such a painting exists?
craneik

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 12:35 am
@contrex,
What sense has your question?
contrex

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:04 am
@craneik,
craneik wrote:

What sense has your question?

The following:

Statement:

You mention a "painting from William Hogarth". You say it "should be" a "mirror copy" of a particular painting by David Teniers.

Question:

What evidence do you have, or know about, that any such picture by Hogarth exists?

craneik

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:04 am
@contrex,
I heard the story that he painted this picture to demonstrate that he has comparable skill tu dutch masters so I am looking more into it..
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:27 am
@craneik,
Are you sure he wasn't making an engraving of the painting in question?

Now THAT would make a mirror image every time.
craneik

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:03 pm
@Lordyaswas,
pretty sure about that, was talking about specifically about painting...that should show he can paint as well as dutch masters, he took mentioned picture from David Teniers (younger) and painted the mirror image. colors should be changed as well..the story sounded quite detailed to be just some bs story..you know that paint could be like 150 years lost and forgotten, who knows...just asking if anyone heard of it..
0 Replies